Binaltech update from Ichikawa

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Nevermore, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus To me my X-Men! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Yeah, more than likely. However, that won't stop thousands of largely uniformed fans from going "!Oh NOES!" *insert more annoying leet speach*. It looks like the fanbase has already started beating a dead horse again.

Mirage looks good and so does Prime, IMPO. Even if Takara-Tomy decides to end BT/BT* it is very probable that the alternators line will still continue as just about everything that Takara-Tomy/Hasbro do for Transformers is a joint effort. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Takara-Tomy is simply putting BT/BT* on the back burner for now sense they're going through the merger. But hey, that's being rational... and this fanbase (any fanbase) is hardly that.

2. Darkprime

Darkprime Antigrav Singular Destron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I guess this means no BT diaromas....Bummer.

3. zzyss

zzyss Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be possible for Hasbro to pay Takara-Tomy to continue to design Alts? After all, I'm sure TT would want to keep the toy designers on board regardless. Else Hasbro would just hire the Japanese team and create Hasbro Japan or something. I mean, they have so much at stake (in all of the TF lines) it would be stupid of them not to.

Considering everybody else in the thread has been so level-headed so far, let me have the dubious honour of being the first to freak out that BT is over.

AHAERWAEHRFAKDSJHFAH!!!!!

Edit: OK after reading Doug's reply to Nevermore's e-mail, I'm wondering now... with the previous alts, how long was it usually from when Ich...-san submits his piece, to when the product actually rolls off the assembly line? If we're talking about 1-2 months, then that's not too bad. But if the lead time is like 6 months+ then it looks like BT is a write-off for 2006.

4. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Alternators and BT have already gone far beyond the scope of their original planned run. It would not kill me if the line(s) ended. It's been a good run and we have gotten many awesome toys out of it.

Besides, I'm almost out of room.

5. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Yeah I'm kind of at a point where Alternators could end. We knew the day would come, since there really is only so much they can do with the idea.

I still want my white H2 Megatron tho.

6. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My chrome plated bumber they run out of ideas. Hell, they could find a new vehicle mode for the BB/CJ design and make those if they wanted. And the leaked pic of Rumble shows us another style of transforming a car.

I could give them 5 new ideas.

So what if Takara drops the line. Between the rumored new molds and possible repaints that have yet to be done on the last two Alts, Hasbro has plenty of room for toys for '06-'07. And if at some point, Takara wants to jump back into the game great. If not, I still think we'll see at least 6-10 new characters before Hasbro gives up the line.

This is my Opinion and I'm standing by it. :cool: 

7. artiepants

artiepants Misses readable TF comics

News Credits:
    i just want a diescast Mirage :( 

8. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I would like to add, I really hope we get an Ironhide out of the Alternators line before it's all said and done.

9. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Damn it, Me too! is that too much to ask for?

10. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

At least you get them. We haven't had any sold here since Meister, although I know a couple of people who've said they've seen Grimlock about the place aaaaages ago. I was hoping with the new boxes, they might re-release them here, but apparently not.

And yeah, I'm loathe to buy anything over the net. If I can't get it in a store, chances are pretty good I'm not going to get it. Unless it's a Sailor Moon boxset, but that's another story.

As to the designers, I would assume that Hasbro would be paying Takara for design and engineering; I can't see this merger doing much more than changing who the money goes to, and how much - if Tomy decides they want more. Contracts would have to be rewritten, as I understand it. But I can't see too much of a change coming.

11. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, to be honest, I wasn't too happy with BT Ginrai and Scourge anway. If BT is overwith for good, it was a good run. I'd love to see a BT Mirage and an Alternator Ironhide. If not, oh well. I'm sorry Bumblebee never made it to either line as well, and I still think a Hummer would have made an outstanding BT/ALT Transformer.

12. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot *º*Hockey mom and coach*º*

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I really wanted an alt Hot Rod.

13. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The only thing that's bugging me is not knowing. (***Bangs head on keyboard***)

14. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed

Ebay:
    Looking at the list of Japanese release vs US release Its not surprising that the Japanese releases have stopped. The alternator line seems to be one of too many repaints. Which is fine because my shelf is full of them already. :D 

15. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    BT dioramas? :huh

16. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Gagga blagh blagh

News Credits:
    He's still confusing Brick Town for BinalTech, maybe? That did run rampant for a while.

17. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    That's my biggest upset as well, I like the diecast best on sportscars and it would have made Mirage spectacular.

18. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    Did Ichikawa pass along Ginrai's bio and story to Doug to translate, by chance? *crosses fingers*

19. artiepants

artiepants Misses readable TF comics

News Credits:
    not to mention the yummy car-accurate paint so all the parts match...

20. Lodril

Lodril Poet of Destruction

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    To be fair, that isn't strictly true. Takara designed the Star Wars TFs too. :p 

Of course, it depends on what you mean by 'design'. Takara's end of the design process (at least, going by their discussions at BotCon) has centered primarily on the actual engineering of the designs drawn up by Hasbro. Aaron or someone on the Hasbro team creates drawings of a robot that looks like it could turn into a vehicle, and said vehicle, and then the wizzes over at Takara figure out how that could happen.

From my discussions with the good people at Hasbro, for the SW line, the Transformers team helped the Star Wars team figure out how to perform the Hasbro half of the process.

This does, however, have major implications for the Alternators. Takara's engineers are far and away the best in the world at making things that turn into other things. Hasbro can continue the line without Takara's participation as a partner, and still use the Takara engineers (because they do that a lot), BUT this means that they will have to shoulder all the development costs instead of just a portion of them. Ultimately, this is going to mean fewer new molds because the profit per mold will go down.

The development costs on the Alts are probably pretty high anyway, since there are more steps in the approval process (it has to pass the usual muster, plus the scrutiny of the car companies involved). My understanding is that the Alts have been fairly profitable, so my guess is that the combination of higher development costs coupled with the lack of a partner to share those costs with means that we will be seeing more repaints.