Binaltech: Change & Decay

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Fiction' started by Wreckie, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    just the bit with the flashback, i could kinda see what the narration was trying to say but i didn't get the guy who was telling it or why metroplex was abandoned

2. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    Ah, I see what you're talking about. That part is set in the future, or rather a possible future, where the Autobot/Decepticon/human war has devastated the Earth. Autobot City is abandoned because the Autobots don't live there anymore. ;) 

3. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Ancient and knackered

Extremely entertaining, very well-written, and certainly varied in its approach, which is something I don't see enough of. My one regret is that I haven't read this earlier!

And that alternate future chapter was excellent. Got that one straight off the bat, especially with the reference to Overdrive before-hand!

Guess this kinda goes hand-in-hand with your MTMTE project, eh? Looking forward to more on both fronts!

Rob

4. Wreckie

Ebay:
    Eek, it's been a while, hasn't it? This is the first draft of some of the next chapter. Sorry it's taken so long to appear!

GRIM STRUGGLE
    It had affected Sludge first. (“Maybe because him more stupid,” Grimlock thought to himself) But it wasn’t long before the others started to succumb. The Dinobots were back in the thick of it on Cybertron, the main driving force behind the new Lightening Strike Coalition, reformed at the order of Optimus Prime. An elite group harking back to the early days of the Great War, composed of those Autobots whose methods were... less conventional. Derided as primitives by the regular army, these Autobots were decidedly unconventional in appearance, attitude and tactics. Unlike the sleek, rather stylised vehicular forms adopted by most Cybertronian Autobots, the LSC bristled with teeth, tails and claws. They weren’t fast and they weren’t subtle, but they were undeniably effective.

They were led by the Dinobots, and the Dinobots were led by Grimlock. And within half a solar cycle, the LSC went from a joke to a legend. The collection of misfits, transforming into monstrous metal parodies of alien life forms cut a swathe through Decepticon territory, turning the tide in the Autobots’ favour, bringing them almost within striking distance of Polyhex, Megatron’s de facto capital. It was only natural that Megatron would want them dead, Grimlock reflected.

Still, the Unleasher had taken them by surprise. Turning their renowned fighting instincts and savagery against them, the Unleasher stripped them of reason, of allegiance, of everything except blind rage.

The members of the Lightening Strike Coalition literally tore each other apart.

Grimlock outlasted most of the others. A recon patrol found what was left of him gnawing at a pillar outside the old Council Chambers in Iacon and, despite severe injuries and energon depletion, had to use near deadly force to bring him down. Floating in a stasis tank and only able to interact with the world via a two-way communicator, Grimlock cursed his comrades for giving in to the Unleasher’s effects, cursed the Decepticons for creating such a foul weapon and cursed himself for leading so many members of his team to their deaths.

But most of all he cursed Wheeljack for not letting him out of the tank. “If I let you out, you’d go crazy again,” the engineer attempted to explain for the thousandth time. “Megatron’s still got the Unleasher and the only way for you to stay shielded is to stay in the tank. We’d be putting everyone at risk if we let you out.”

“Flapdoodle!” thundered Grimlock through the speaker. “Me have better plan. Repair me with them nano-things you got. Then get Aerialbots to drop this tank on Polyhex. Tank break on fall and me chew up whole place – and Megatron.”
    “Don’t be ridiculous, you’d be killed,” pointed out Wheeljack, while silently thinking maybe it wasn’t such a bad plan. The sight of Grimlock in a bad mood was frightening enough; Grimlock in a state of all-consuming rage would surely frighten anyone into surrender.
    “Yeah. Me get killed – eventually. But me take out many ‘cons on way. And dead is better than this! Get me back on battlefield, me don’t care how!”
    “Is that right?” said Wheeljack, thoughtfully.

If only he’d not said anything, thought Grimlock. If only, just for once in his existence, he’d kept his stupid malfunctioning voice box silent. “Me don’t care how!” Bah! Trust an engineer to take that comment literally.

He recalled regaining consciousness briefly as his stasis tank was loaded aboard the shuttle. He vaguely remembered the sounds of Decepticon fire and the buffeting from Wheeljack’s emergency manoeuvres, as they escaped the enemy barrage and passed out of range into deep space. He remembered the jolt as Wheeljack engaged his experimental high-speed engine, recalled the engineer’s excited explanation that the shuttle was both transforming energy and warping space, or some such baloney. (Like many technically-minded beings, Wheeljack suffered from the illusion that everyone else was just as interested in new technology as he was, and would therefore explain it to them. At great length.)

He remembered the momentary relief as the shuttle re-entered normal space in Earth orbit and Wheeljack actually shut up for a while.

And the next thing he remembered was waking up, looking in the reflective surface of the lab wall and getting very angry.

5. Falcadore

Falcadore Touring Car Autobot

Wreckie: I love that last sentence and the way you've just left everyone else to just think, oooooo dear how much did he break.

Writing Grimlock is one of the most delicious challenges of the Binaltech series. Someone famous for not being one of the crowd suddenly is now one of many. How does he handle it? The Unleasher is an interesting concept.

I like the approach. When Grimlock's red mist cools however...

6. Wreckie

Ebay:
    Thanks very much! I can't take any credit for the Unleasher concept - that's taken straight from Hirofumi Ichikawa's official BT storyline (which I'm loosely following.)

Grimlock's an odd one, isn't he? I don't want to give too much away, but... I won't. ;) 

7. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

Dude , wheres the rest of Grimie, I want more, you must give it to me. Just please don't turn Grimlock into a winey little wimp that crys all the time because of his new body. I picture him as bein angry over it, and using that anger to his advantage, just like ole Grim always has.

8. Wreckie

Ebay:
    Eek! It's been a while.

“You have to admit,” said Sideswipe, “Ol’ Grimmy knows how to make an exit.”

“Literally,” agreed Tracks, taking care not to step on the rubble. “It’s just a pity he doesn’t know how to clean up after himself.” Having responded to a general alert from the BT-10 project facility, they now found themselves not facing Decepticons as they had feared, but a rather traumatised bunch of humans and a massive hole in the lab wall. They looked past the gaping hole to see a broken and twisted section of barbed wire fence, then a trail of rubble, masonry and the occasional overturned car.

“Well,” reflected Sideswipe. “At least we know which way he went. Come on, we’d better get after him.” Tracks visibly paled, his chameleonic pigments responding involuntarily to his mood. “Um... Sideswipe?”

“Yeah?”

“What happens if we catch up with him?”

Sideswipe thought about it for a few seconds. Grimlock’s reputation for expert, but sometimes indiscriminate, violence was well earned. And on top of that he clearly wasn’t in the best of moods. “Good point,” he conceded. “We’d better get after him... after we help clean up the lab, how’s that?”

“That I can work with.”

He stomped along at low speed, muttering to himself and treading on the occasional parked car. Everything was wrong, he thought. The ground was too close. The gravity was too weak. And his limbs didn’t seem to be entirely under his control. And as for what happened when he transformed... Grimlock shuddered.

Stupid, slagging puny little... two null-ray bolts hit him square in the back. He was so surprised that Starscream had to shoot him again before he fell over.

He looked up groggily and saw the Decepticon landing in front of him, a look of pure glee on the stupid ‘Con’s face.
    Funny, thought Grimlock. I remember him being shorter.

The abstract and the concrete, thought Laserbeak. The theory and the practice. His role was to observe events and rarely if ever take part in them. On Starscream’s orders he remained nestled in a crevasse, observing the events unfolding and relaying it all back to HQ where he was sure there would now be a small crowd around the monitor. In theory the death of one Autobot would make very little difference. But in practice the opportunity to murder Grimlock was like manna from heaven for Laserbeak’s current commander.

Despite outnumbering their enemies the Decepticons on Earth had been faring badly, due to a combination of bad luck and bad leadership. There was nothing anyone could do about luck. But leadership on the other hand... Starscream’s authority had never been strong to begin with and his standing had fallen considerably since the Cosmic Rust debacle. Although developed by Swindle, it had been Starscream who had consented to the Rust’s release. Swindle couldn’t be made the scapegoat because, in typically sneaky style, he’d made himself too useful to eliminate, meaning there was only one place the blame could fall. And so it began: destabilisation, rumours of other failures, mutterings of discontent whispered in the corridors of HQ, just out of Starscream’s earshot. Nevertheless, Laserbeak believed he knew what they were saying.

A better leader, a real leader, wouldn’t have done it. Megatron wouldn’t have done it.

Laserbeak had watched with interest as Starscream’s thin veneer of bravado had begun to crack, silently speculating on the amount of time his command had left. Laserbeak would have found it stimulating to share his theories with Soundwave, but as the Communications Officer was on Cybertron he merely watched and waited, going about his duties as normal.

When he had observed a newly reformatted Grimlock stomping through the area, obviously alone, disoriented and vulnerable, he’d simply reported the matter and awaited further orders. He suspected he already knew what the orders - and their consequences - would be.

Starscream had, to his credit, known a golden opportunity when he’d seen it. By destroying Grimlock - a warrior of near legendary status - in single combat, he would be able to silence his critics. The fact that the odds of the combat were heavily weighted in his favour had nothing to do with it. He would still go down as the Decepticon who killed Grimlock. As he let forth the first null ray blasts and transformed for the kill, Starscream felt happy for the first time in months. At last, he thought, my luck is turning.

He hit the ground hard this time. His internal damage sensors had barely begun to register the impact before he angrily turned them off. He didn’t need them to tell him how much it hurt.

A hand reached down, grabbed his throat and hoisted him into the air. The hand was attached to an arm, which was attached to a body, which in turn was attached to a smirk. “Big, nasty old Grimlock,” said Starscream. “Big nasty old Grimlock with his big sword and his big teeth and his Dinotbots. Not so tough without ‘em are you?” And then there was no time to do anything but brace himself as Starscream threw him down again.

While Starscream put so much effort into kicking him into spare parts, Grimlock began to wonder if maybe he was right. He didn’t have his Dinobots. Teeth, claws and raw strength had been his arsenal and now two of them were gone and the third had been reduced. He flailed as Starscream picked him up by the throat.

“If only they could see you now, your Dinobots. What would you say to them?” He was used to punching a Decepticon into stasis lock and now he couldn’t. They’d made him weaker. They made him lighter. Why?

And then finally it dawned on him. He looked up, gripped his tormentor’s forearm and let his combat subroutines calculate a series of moves that his instincts told him were impossible. If he’d had a mouth, he would have smiled.

Thirty seconds later, Starscream was limping backwards. Ten seconds after that he had Grimlock’s foot on his throat.

“One: me not big no more, but me still nasty. Much nastier than you, anyhow. And much faster than before. Good, yeah?” Starscream tried to bring his right null ray to bear. Before he could fire, Grimlock saw it, grabbed it and twisted it away, crushing its barrel as he did so.

“Two: me not have teeth no more, or Dinobots. But...” He reached behind his back. “Me still have sword.” He showed it to Starscream, point first.

“Three: what me would say to Dinobots...” Grimlock paused, the sword lifted high over his head. The sunlight glittered on Grimlock’s scratched finish and the energon blade glowed red. “Me would say: ‘me Grimlock. Badass.’”

Starscream saw the blade blurring downwards and closed his eyes. It’s not fair, he thought. I wasn’t ready. Then everything went black.

“Mercy? Don’t be daft.” Grimlock told a rather surprised Wheeljack.

“Then why? You were on the verge of slicing him in half, and then you just punched him and drove away. Why didn’t you finish the job?”

Grimlock sighed. “You supposed to be smart one and you don’t know? Typical. Answer is simple: Starscream incompetent nutbag.”

“Sure, but-“

“If me take him out, maybe competent nutbag take over Earth ‘Cons.”

Realisation dawned on Wheeljack. “You mean...” Even over the comm-link, a look from Grimlock shut him up.

“You mind? Me talking! Anyhow, Starscream a coward, look for someone weak to beat up, impress followers, increase hold on power Then he see me Grimlock, alone, in new weak body. Couldn’t help himself, could he?”

Wheeljack looked at Grimlock’s inscrutable expression and an awful realisation began to dawn. “You set him up.”

“Yep. Starscream want whole ‘Con army to see him kick Grimlock’s tailpipe. So Starscream make idiot out of himself in front of big audience: couldn’t even take out poor weak Grimlock. So of course me not want to kill him!”

And Wheeljack saw the terrible beauty of it in full for the first time. Starscream was sure to have arranged Laserbeak to record the ambush. He had seen Grimlock’s murder as a way of cementing his hold over the Earth-bound Decepticons’ leadership and wanted all of them to see him kill the mighty Grimlock. Instead he had been humiliated, battered and instead of dying ‘honourably,’ faced the ignominy of crawling back to headquarters where all his troops would already know of his defeat. His leadership would be fatally undermined, the unity of the Decepticon cause threatened. There would be arguments and recriminations for months as Starscream, insecure at the best of times, would flail around trying to put down imagined (and no doubt, a few real) mutinies in the ranks.

Wheeljack silently thanked Primus that Grimlock was an Autobot. If he’d been a Decepticon, the good guys wouldn’t have stood a chance.

“Compassion,” said Grimlock. “Mercy. These things cruel sometimes. You taught me that.”

And suddenly Wheeljack knew Grimlock was never going to forgive him.

9. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i love this fic.

10. Wreckie

Ebay:
    Sorry this update's been so long coming. It's a short chapter too.

S.N.A.S.U.
    (Situation Normal, All Slagged Up.)

He is expected. He hasn’t even reached the door before he hears the click of it unlocking. This is a regular appointment, same time, same day of the human week. Neither of them have ever cancelled and both are always punctual, so this has become a routine that goes – as the humans say – like clockwork. An odd expression, Smokescreen reflects, given the obvious inaccuracies he has observed in clockwork. But he believes he understands the meaning of it: the apparent – if not actual – regularity of the events, repeating over and over. For example, Ultra Magnus has just disabled the security lock on the outer door of his quarters before the cameras had even registered Smokescreen’s presence, because this is their regular meeting.

Yeah, a treacherous thought whispers. And he knows no-one else is coming to see him. Hardly anyone knows where his quarters really are anymore.

The door hisses open and he steps inside to face another door. He is in a tiny room somewhat akin to an airlock. Behind him he hears the hiss and click of the magna-sealed outer door falling back into position before the inner door is released. He feels a twinge of impatience at how slow it all seems, then chides himself for his impatience. This is the fast part, after all. When he exits it will take three times as long: he’ll have to wait until his body has been scrubbed clean, every possible contaminant and microbe eradicated. Autobot City’s automatic sterilisation protocols cannot be overridden, however pointless they are at this time.

The room beyond is in semi darkness, but he can easily pick out the shape of Ultra Magnus lying on the bench in the far corner. “Excuse me if I don’t get up,” he says dryly, “but I’ve been warned something might drop off if I do.” The banter is another part of their routine, the black humour helping them both to face the blacker reality.

“How’s the treatment going?” Smokescreen asks.

“I’m sure you could tell me exactly how it’s going. Perceptor confides in you just like everyone else, doesn’t he?”

“He does.”

“Then you don’t have to worry about small talk, soldier. I’m aware my prognosis isn’t good. Perceptor is nowhere near as accomplished a liar as you are and thankfully he’s given up on it altogether. I finally got some straight answers from him yesterday. He says I’m going to die.”

“Is that what he told you?”

The light in the room is too dim for Magnus’ ironic smile to be seen. “Hah! No, what he actually told me was: ‘it is my melancholy duty to inform you that the information regarding the duration of your continuing functionality pertains to a rapid and unmitigated cessation of the aforementioned within a relatively short period of time.’ But what he meant was that I’m probably going to die and probably quite soon. But I’m not dead yet and until I am, I’m still in charge. And I’d like to know what’s going on out there.”

Smokescreen gives a slightly embarrassed cough, a very human gesture he seemed to have picked up recently. “Okay boss. Things aren’t good, but morale’s actually picked up recently.”

“Grimlock?”

“His arrival’s helped cheer up the rank and file, for sure. Even if it hasn’t done much for our relations with the EDC.”

“He never was much of a diplomat. Go on,”

“It’s more than that. Wheeljack’s been able to drop off a few supplies from orbit. And being able to look into the night sky and see an Autobot shuttle up there is comforting in itself.”

“But?”

“But what?”

“I recognise that tone of voice, there’s a silent ‘but’ at the end of that sentence.”

Smokescreen sighs and wishes, not for the first time, that the City Commander was a little bit less perceptive. “But it’s not going to last, Sir. Before long, the shuttle will be a reminder of our own isolation. And rumours about the state of the war on Cybertron are already beginning to circulate. They say Prime’s planning on evacuating, setting up shop on one of the moons.”

Magnus ponders this. “So Xaaron’s contingency plan’s finally being used. If only he was around to see it... nothing we can do about it one way or another, we have our own problems to deal with. How are we holding up numbers-wise?”

“Our troop numbers are stable, after a fashion. The GT system means we do have more ‘bots on the ground. But it’s freaking some of us out. Having a duplicate sounds good in theory, but in practice it gets really annoying.”

Magnus laughs out loud at this. “Don’t tell me you’re not getting along with yourself.”

Smokescreen shifts uncomfortably. “It’s more complicated than that. For one thing, he thinks he owns my stuff and for another, everyone has trouble telling us apart. Last week I had a briefing session with Jazz and yesterday my duplicate apparently had a virtually identical conversation with him.”

“You should do something to differentiate yourselves. Maybe the EDC could sculpt you a mustache.” The City Commander obviously finds this thought amusing.

“Sir, before you join the Matrix, there’s something I think you should know. You’re not funny. Not even a bit.”

“Well, look on the bright side: that won’t be a problem much longer.”

11. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

Dude, it has been a while since I read your stories. Thank you for not turning Grimlock into a whiney wimp. BTW, your stories kick ass.

12. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the dry sense of humour was quitre good, also after re reading the previous chapter i do see an opening for shockwave to appear.

the moustache line made me lol :thumb 

13. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    :lol :lol :lol  I read the whole thing, and let me say this, Wreckie:

you are a friggin' genius. :D  MORE!

14. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I like your story so far.

Poor Blue- um, Silverstreak. Ran over a dog? Nice to know Magnus informed the humans he's still normal.

Poor Starscream. He's in charge of "morons, weirdos, and cannon fodder." Then he gets stomped by Grimlock. Too funny.

The Meister Memo - "this is a sentient lifeform, not a toy." More great stuff.

I'm interested to learn where you going with the bots who's sparks might not survive the BT process. Is Magnus going to become the Masterpiece OP repaint? I also can't wait to see what you do with Sunstreaker's BT awakening and finding out Dead End is running about with his same body. (That's like when two girls find out they're wearing the same dress at the prom. A fight is bound to ensue). Don't forget to include Sideswipe's reaction as well. He's probably worried that he's bro's new body gotten stolen and Sunny's still suffering from cosmic rust.

Can't wait for the next chapter.

15. Wreckie

Ebay:
    Wow, thanks everyone :D 

I've been sick for a while so this is the first time I've logged on and read things in around a week.

Fairlady Z, you've just given me my first spoiler of the story. ;)  Magnus' armour is almost gone, but with some help his inner robot will emerge pretty much unscathed... although he's NOT going to happy about it.

Sadly Sunstreaker won't be appearing in a big way for a while. This is mainly due to my writing style than any wish to keep the story to BT characters only. (I seem to work best with small casts I'm already having enough trouble engineering appearances for all the BT 'bots.) The mystery of the missing sparks will be resolved however, leaving the door open for Sunstreakey goodness later on. :) 

But if you're interested in seriously weird fraternal issues, just wait til you see Jazz and Zoom-Zoom's interaction...

16. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I was just guessing about Magnus. A spoiler huh? Yea!

I understand about small casts. I just wrote my first TF fanfic "How Can I Say I'm Sorry" and it was hard to juggle some of the characters. Check it out if you have the time. I'd love to hear what you think of it.

No Sunstreaker for a while. That's okay. I forgot you were doing Binaltech and not Alts. Jazz and Zoom-Zoom should be very fun to see. You have a great sense of humor. I can't wait.

17. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    jazz in the bt story took zoom zoom under his wing in bt didn't he, jazz seemed a bit frustrated that he couldn't do all his moves though

18. Wreckie

Ebay:
    Hi-jack: Part 1

Second part due this weekend...

Hijack – Part 1

Funny how peaceful it all looks from up here. The humans’ cities are nothing more than scatterings of tiny pin-lights on the surface. Those big salty lakes they call oceans just a seamless deep blue. The clouds – another thing we don’t have back home – seem like trails of mercury, almost like I could scoop them up in my hand. The continent of North America is getting closer, glinting as the planet’s rotation takes it back into the light of the sun for another day. Yes, Earth really is a very beautiful planet.

Not that it matters very much right now.

It’s still going to hurt like hell when I hit it.

18 hours ago...
    Shuttle supply pod ready for departure. Departure in T-minus 10 minutes.

Warning: unscheduled opening of Alpha Launch Facility gates. Initiating standard greet and identification procedures.

This is EDC-A-01 (Security System Alpha). Please state your designation and clearance code.

No response received. Scanning...
    Negative on visual. No target sighted. Scanning.
    Heat signature – negative. Scanning...
    Energy readings – negative. Scanning...
    Alert - Unauthorised Cybernetic life form detected. Initiating standard security response...
    Alert – security systems disabled. Initiating secondary protocols...
    Secondary protocols ineffective...
    Alert - unauthorised access to secondary systems. Contacting Autobot City...
    Alert – communications disabled.
    Alert – unauthorised access to primary AI network. Corruption of core programme files in progress; counter-measures ineffective. EDC-A-01 (Security System Alpha) is under assault, repeat: EDC-A-01(Security System Alpha) is...

... at your disposal. Welcome, Agent Ravage.

The thing that still called itself Ravage felt a slight twinge of something approaching disquiet. The system was primitive, even by this era’s standards, yet it had taken over 200 nanoseconds to infiltrate and subvert it. Hardly a professional job. Still, the new camouflage had worked perfectly, the modified chameleonic pigments an unqualified success.

Since regaining his mobility and overcoming the humans’ laughably inadequate efforts at restraining him, it had taken him some time to readjust. Not to this body, which still felt like walking around in a cadaver, but to the situation. Using the espionage skills for which he was justly famous he had silently observed both Autobots and Decepticons, assessing the current state of combat and comparing it with historical records recovered from his flight recorder.

The general strategic situation was identical, indicating the previous attempt to alter the timeline had largely failed. And yet... things were different. According to his own recollection, the second rust plague had been a minor affair, its effects short-lived. The Combaticons’ attempt at chemical warfare was largely ineffective and had been quickly abandoned in favour of guerrilla warfare and sabotage tactics. What had been the cause of this change?

Ravage recalled the human theory of the Butterfly Effect: the path of a hurricane could be altered simply by a butterfly flapping its wings. Although his aim of destroying the Autobots in the distant past had failed, he had been there. Had his very presence had an effect on the timeline? If so, perhaps all was not yet lost. He had been revived at a crucial point before the coming of the Chaos-Bringer Unicron.

Several thoughts hit him with an almost physical impact.

The Decepticon army was still intact. Its defeat could be prevented.

Megatron was still alive, secure in his position and relatively sane. He had not yet been contaminated by Unicron’s influence. The tragedy of Galvatron could be averted.

The Pax Cybertronia was as yet unheard of. The humiliation of that so-called treaty could be erased.

He could change everything.

He unlocked the cargo hatch, removed some non-essential supplies and climbed inside. With a single thought impulse, he signalled the facility’s slave IA to resume the countdown. And then he waited.

Cybertron beckoned.

19. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like this. i really do

20. Wreckie

Ebay:
    I've got some thinking to do about the direction of the story since it looks like more official chapters won't be coming out any time soon...