Big Decisions ; Little Time PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Ratchet2007, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My birthday is very soon and I've got a choice of a PS3, XBOX 360 and a Wii.
    Which should I choose, I'm tempted to go for the Wii but I just don't know what to choose !

Please help

Ratchet2007

2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Either the 360 or the Wii. PS3 is an easy pass IMO.

Between the two...well it depends. If you have a good enough computer, most of the good games the 360 has can be found there (and generally are better on the PC), whereas the Wii tends to have more exclusive games which you won't be able to find elsewhere and if you can they most likely will be entirely different systems.

Both have some great titles for them. The 360 has the likes of Rock Band (which is also coming to the Wii, though it will be lacking some features), Dead Rising, and Mass Effect. The Wii has some amazing titles (most of which are first party) like Super Mario Galaxy, Brawl, Zelda, Metroid, Super Paper Mario, etc.

3. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i <3 my 360

4. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Right now the consoles are so selective it's more preference of features... PS3's for the gamer that needs the most powerful system, 360 is for online gamers, Wii is for innovative games.

Personally, the PS3 doesn't impress me, few solid games and it seems a lot of the good ones are rather short. And, personally again, I find the 360 to have a lot of repetitive games, since it's an online system it caters to shooter fans. Right now the Wii is red hot, Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros Brawl, Metroid Prime 3, Zelda Twilight Princess, the upcoming Mario Kart, not to mention it comes with a free (and quite good) game and it'll leave you with money left over for some of those titles. And again, innovative, games like Trauma Center and WiiFit that weren't possible before. And you've got upcoming games like No More Heroes and the port of Okami which is practically made for Wii.

5. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

Actually, this game is already out.

6. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    I make sweet love to my 360.

7. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It will actually depend on what games do you like to play. You may want to check out for example if your favorite game is supported on a particular console. If you can narrow it down between ps3 and Xbox then get the xbox. period. hope this helps.

8. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Xbox 360 is my playpen.

9. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Not the Wii.

10. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:

11. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    360, I got one for Christmas, best surprise Evar!

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    360, deffinately.

Wii is cool, but if I had to choose, 360 now, Wii later.

13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    360 or Wii.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    hehehe, of course

I second that. Next month I will be playing my PS3 more (Grand Turismo) and last month I played my 360 more (Mass Effect). Then I'll be getting Hot Shots Golf for PS3... and then I'll be catching up and getting Lost Odyssey on 360. So can't tell you which one to get because I have reasons to own both, but I can tell you that after you get over Mario Galaxy and Brawl (if you even like that game), you will be staring at the weather for a long time, with a Wii.

15. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Depends on your gamer type, to be honest I wouldn't chose any of them. That has less to do with the systems, and more to do with my personal preference. I'd rather have a DS or PSP SL, if I didn't already have them both. Honestly, from what I know about the current gen systems (from my roommates owning a 360, and Wii), that those two are the ways. There isn't enough software for PS3, and the extra features just don't make the system worth 400+. 360 and Wii are really the best system available at this moment. If you don't have a PS2, and are cheap then that's the way to go. All PS2s are pretty much full backwards compatible with all PS1 software (there's a small list of non-compatible ones). There's also the rich and varied library that system has, and you can acquire plenty of well researched games for the system.

16. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    360 or Wii, depending on what you like. I'd go 360.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I would still recommend a 360 because there are plenty of great games to play, my shelf would dissagree with this statement. Halo, Bioshock, and Mass Effect and (maybe) Ninja Gaiden are fantastic, the rest are me-too FPSs, and the "lack of software" is relative to that fact. That is, if your only looking at FPSs, and that is the only game one considers to be good games, then yes, the PS3 is lacking, but I hardly consider, Resistance, Ratchet, Uncharted, Folklore, Warhawk, Gran turismo, (this month Woot), Hot Shots Golf, Motorstorm, Metal Gear a lack of software, when everything else falls into 3rd party games that are available for both systems.

It's like the PSP.. The lack of games argument is still being used, like it was 2006, when the system is enjoying a ridiculous amount of new and original titles.

Count the exclusive games on 360 (first party titles), add to that the one year extra that the 360 has had on the market.. now compare the amount of "good" ps3 titles (first party), subtract one year from that.... factor in that not every game has to employ a hand in front of the screen holding a gun to be considered a great game, and you have a very different situation from the "lack of software"

This isn't anything against you, Omega... Don't crash land on Cybertron with me in your rocket, :D  . But if there was a lack of Software on PS3, I wouldn't be breaking my bank to get Hot Shots golf, Crisis Core on PSP and then Gran Turismo next Month, all the while pondering on whether or not to get Darksector and Viking. Two exclusives, two Third Party. This past Month on 360, Lost Odyssey, and two Third Parties. Like I said, you can hate hot Shots Golf or Gran Turismo, but there is no denying that they are quality titles. They simply don't fall into the FPS category that sells billions, but they are available, and there are plenty of them.

I don't think I am at a point where I can say that I am lacking anything to buy on 360 or PS3, so I would recommend a 360 simply because everyone should play Mass Effect and Bioshock and should not be denied that experience (even though Mass Effect is rumored to be coming to both systems now), but get a 360 because is has great games, not because the PS3 is collecting dust, because it really isn't. Even then, at the end of the day, I watch Dark Prime's Transformers Animated, ever morning on it, and that's just a bonus.

Sorry, just can't find an argument for Wii. That system was given a chance and dissapointed me. And if anyone is lacking software, it's the Wii... Yes Smash Bro's is enjoying major success, but once that wears out and Mario Kart comes out, the long drawn silence will hit again only slightly calmed by crappy third party titles forced to employ crappy controls.

18. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    That's a tough question to ask without getting into system bashing.

If you look at the total value, I think the 360 has the advantage -especially with the soon to be announced price drop.
    It has true next-gen (now current-gen) games, a lot of exclusives, and the best online component by leaps and bounds.
    I understand that Sony and Nintendo's online models are free, but from my experience with them you get what you pay for.
    The 360 has a large library of games and many of them are already on the "greatest hits" list or whatever -the point is they're at a lower price.

The PS3 has a lot of value for what you get. It's not only an Blu-ray player, but it is also an upconverting DVD player.

I think the argument that there are "not enough games" is wearing thin.
    There are more games on the 360, but the PS3 has a good library as well.
    It's true that many of those games are also on the 360, but if you don't own either system yet, that is not really a consideration.

However, I think that the Playstation 3 is going to suffer from the same multiplatform woes the original Xbox suffered from last generation -indeed it already is. It is a more powerful system, but the development seems to be 360 first then port it over to the PS3. As such, the games can lose something in the translation -if not end up worse because of it.
    Some games like Devil May Cry 4 show this doesn't have to always be the case.

Still, I think the 360 has the slight advantage here -at least in terms of volume and quality of games. Plus, it can play HD movies but they are only on a download\rental basis. It's all made more attractive by the fact that the price of the system is about to drop.
    Warning: if you buy a 360 please get a model with the hard drive. You save very little by buying the Core model because you still have to buy a memory card and you will quickly wish you had a hard drive.

I think the Wii is a great system, but the Windcharger makes a good point.
    There are some real gems in the library, but they are almost all from Nintendo themselves and they are mostly obscured by all the crap that is out for the system. Most of the library consists of "waggle control" minigame collections or ports from other systems with motion controls forces on the game.

Sometimes adding the motion controls can add to the experience like Resident Evil 4 -but most of the time the developers just force you to shake the controller for something that could easily be accomplished by pushing a button.

I hope this helps. I don't really think there is a wrong choice but there definitely is a best choice.

19. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thank you all for all your advice ! I have finally made a decision. I'm going for a Wii because it has some fun games like Mario and Sonic and some others like Battle Revolution and the upcoming Mario Kart.

And just again thank you all for your help !!

Ratchet2007

20. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Okay, for starters, I want to say that I don't take offense to anything you said Windcharger. However, I do feel compelled to argue my point of view/opinion. One major thing is, I don't like FPSs, that's why I wouldn't even suggest Resistance: FoM or Halo 3. I would however suggest Bioshock, because of the rich world, atmosphere, environment, and the plasmids; of course if you've played System Shock 1+2, then i'd say you can probably skip Bioshock. Ratchet, i'm cool with, I can't say anything bad about Ratchet. I'm kinda enh on Uncharted, because it's a game that swims in a sea of mediocrity. When there's not much else that great to compare it to on PS3, sure it looks amazing. However, it doesn't bring anything new to the table and I share the same opinion as Yahtzee. If you are from a region that has a censored version of Uncharted, the game is damn near unplayable due to lack of blood.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=GsYwG4F0960
    You can't see where you are being shot from really, because of the blood damage on screen from the US version is absent. It's really a major game issue, and changes the whole game.

I can't really comment about Warhawk or Folklore because I literally know nothing about them. The only attention that Warhawk got from me, was because it was bundled with a bluetooth headset. I don't like racing games, so I could care less about Gran Tourismo. However, that doesn't make those games a bad game by any standard. Hot Shoots Golf is a series I like and I consider to be of interest to me. Motorstorm is another series, like Warhawk, that I both don't know much about nor care about. Metal Gear is still a ways off, and MGS4 isn't enough of a reason for me to purchase a PS3; even if it's a good game.

I love my PSP, i've purchased about 10 games since I got it for Christmas. Now was a wonderful time to invest in one, and I would say it has a solid library. I'm planning on getting Crisis Core today or on Thursday after work/class.

Darksector and Viking are once again titles that I know almost nothing about nor have they really gotten my attention. There was nothing to really make me jump for joy, or really made me say "Wow I want/need this".

I honestly love me some Wii, my brother both have Wii's. I can say that, yes, there is some problems with third parties, especially when they have so many options and yet they don't use those opportunities. I wouldn't say the Wii is a perfect system, and I don't have rose tinted glasses about it. However, out of the 3 systems, I just find Wii to be the strongest to me. Maybe it's in part due to momentum, the fanbase, the software, the neat but non-essential features, or the fact that it's minimalist; I just love me some Wii.