Heavy/Scratch: Big blue guns

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by The Madness, Oct 6, 2019.

1. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

News Credits:
    Update 31 Oct Post 42

Both guns are now live to download on thingiverse as multiple files. Please see post 42 for details.

Update 22 Oct. Post 14

The Single barrel weapon has been revised to a modular system and increased in size. It offers two alternate barrels.

Original Post follows:

After my brief play with shapeways prints a while back https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/a-play-with-prints-wip.1153188/ I decided to go ahead and purchase a 3D printer recently. After making some light shades at home and a few odds and ends I figured it was time to do something Transformery.

Thinking about what was most needed in my collection I figured TR Fort Max desperately required his signature weapons. More so for the silhouette in battle station and city modes. Given the recent reveal of his nemesis in production as a Titan, it seems pretty appropriate also.

[​IMG]

I don’t have the G1 toy so references consisted of random photos from the ‘net. The guns are probably oversized by comparison, but given Metroplex’s monstrous weapons, I figured that was OK.

[​IMG]

The first test print of the rifle however was too large and looked comically big in battle station/spaceship mode, so other sizes were trialed for best fit.

[​IMG]

The pivot connection between handles and guns are pretty basic, made to snap in securely. However they can be detached with force. I tested a clip system, but eventually dropped it to minimise small printed parts. I’m not sure how it will hold up to wear over time and need to revise the hook angle on the rifle, as the print struggled there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The twin barrels are printed separately and slot in easily, this was just done for print redundancy as they were symmetrical. Perhaps the twin-barrel weapon is also too big for the alt-modes.

All barrels are hollow to facilitate effects parts at a later date. The tower mounting pegs were increased slightly above a 5mm diameter for firmness in the tower ports, considering the weight of each weapon. I have some Royal Blue spray which is a closer approximation to Max's colour, but not perfect. I'll give a go in the next couple of days.

Thanks for reading.

maxygo.jpg

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    • Like Like x 27
  2. wingsaber86

wingsaber86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    AWESOME!! Are they avaiable for sale?

• Like Like x 1
  3. xjsb125

xjsb125 Well-Known Member

That's awesome. I'd straight up buy one of those rifles, it looks that good.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Your prints look soooo much better than what Shapeways could ever produce.
    Nicely done!

• Like Like x 2
  5. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    Are you using acetone, isopropyl alcohol, and/or heat to smooth?

6. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    are you going to put the files online anywhere?

• Like Like x 2
  7. The Madness

News Credits:
    Thanks guys, I won't be putting them up for sale. The logistics would be too costly anyway. Though I will make the STLs available for printing when I'm done optimising and adjusting, so if you have a printer, or know someone with a printer you could get them much cheaper than I could ever offer. I can't test them in multiple printers yet, so I may need to do some trial and error in regards to bed height, materials, etc.

[​IMG]
    Cheers Yaujita, they have come out rather well, better than I had anticipated. Ziltama, The prints are in PLA rather than ABS, so print quality at fine resolutions are comparatively better with no need for finishing treatments. That may mean the thinner parts will become brittle in a few years. But I imagine even better processes will be readily available by then.

• Like Like x 3
  8. wingsaber86

wingsaber86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Cool!! Yeah, if you can make the stl files avaiable it would be awesome!!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fort Max's gun is actually pretty big and is supposed to be pretty big in all modes - it's essentially a weapon designed to shoot at Titans so it can't really be puny or they'd just shrug the shots off. Considering that the Titan Class one is a bit bigger than the original and the originals gun looks a little small next to the newer ones. I think you'd have to struggle to make the guns to big. I can see how the size of the double blaster is somewhat linked to how one would have to connect it in Battle Station mode. In City mode one can almost see the single Barrel gun as an another building of it's own in vertical position. One other thing that did cross my mind is the double blaster could be re-sized to perfectly fit in the knee storage part, that is a fun idea - but it may unfortunately make it to small.

I remain perplexed why no one has Mass produced the Double Blaster, I still hear people complaining about it's lack. The other thing Maximus Lacks is his wrist weapons too. Which is they were removable could make great little titanmaster turrets too.

10. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I don't think the "Too Big" gun is too big at all. I have a G1 Fort Max and that gun is quite large. Seeing the one you pictured with him holding it is too small in his hand compared to the G1.

11. The Madness

News Credits:
    OK, that's really interesting to hear from G1 Max owners. I only have the recent Kabaya and the mini KO. From what I found in reference photos, neither gun really looked all that big by proportion. The twin barrel seems particularly puny by comparison and barely bigger than his fist. I shrunk my first single-barrel design in an attempt to better replicate the proportional size of the original based on reference imagery.

[​IMG]

I'd agree that the first size printed ("Too Big") is a nicer fit for robot mode. That was how it was originally intended.

[​IMG]

The problem appears with the other modes. This is clearly exacerbated by the fact that the TR version has a much smaller tower, which is now dominated by the size of the single barrel weapon.One that sticks a fair way off to the side and extends past the knees. Placement on the tower itself is limited to the position of the 5mm ports. The twin barrel weapon has good positioning on the tower as it was designed to mount the red leg guns of a similar size.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  12. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I supposed there are many arguments you could make either way and many pieces of source material you could look at including animated ones.
    But one consideration I guess is how well they work in terms of rotation in the base modes. But also I guess I'd want to consider that a very small weapon would looks strange next to Metroplex's much larger one. The larger one is more in keeping with the size of a Rifle and it's also more in keeping with the contrast to Metroplex's weapon.

I supposed one can argue for a smaller gun in terms of thickness but a proportionally stretched gun to make the rifle "seem" longer while also not being so dominant in battlestation mode.

To be honest presented with either size I think i'd have been quite happy - just by changing the criteria I was judging it on. I may buy the main rifle for my Grand Maximus Takara-Legends release soon so I guess I'll get an idea if I feel it's to big or to small then.

Like I said before well done on the double Blaster - You have a lot of people jealous now.

13. The Madness

News Credits:
    @Max Tower

I’d go so far as to say all Transformers weapons look pretty insignificant compared with Titan Metroplex’s. Perhaps the Matrix Buster canon comes close, but they all look strange by comparison as those guns are exceptional. I also think part of the reason these weapons seem small is due to the revised increase in size of Max’s leg guns to compensate for the lack of hand guns.

Consideration for all modes is an important facet of Transformers design, IMO. I don’t feel that appeasing Max’s penis envy (biggest Autobot ever!) is worth compromises to the other modes or making the design unattainable for those with shorter print beds. But I take the point that modern expectations for weapon sizes have changed.

I have a large archive of references including Marvel, Sunbow, JG1, DW and TR artwork and the single barrel weapon is rarely depicted as what we would consider a traditional rifle, more like Megatron with U.N.C.L.E. accessories. Perhaps I could increase the barrel diameter for an updated look rather than sticking to the old silhouette.

14. The Madness

News Credits:
    OK, Update time.

[​IMG]
    (New design on the bottom, original large design in the middle).

Part 1. Addressing concerns regarding the size of the single barrel weapon, the overall length and barrel width of the weapon was increased. To address print size issues, (and break up print time), the piece was broken into module components for separate prints. This had previously been done for the twin-barrel weapon, but not for the single-barrel gun. This is to allow a greater range in print bed sizes. The receiver and scope were shortened from the original design, yet the barrel was extended. A small magazine was added to increase the profile height. This time I took greater creative liberties.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A new side mounted peg and hexagonal dock were made to increase tower mounting options and reduce the overall profile in Battle station mode. This has also added to the parts count (SB N=4, TB N=4)

The module design has the added benefit of allowing a range of preferred attachments to be chosen.

Part 2. For shits and giggles, a secondary barrel module was developed. As nothing suits a war weary warrior willing to lay down arms for peace more than a fucking big overkill WMD gun. This design incorporates cityscape detail on the forend, evoking more of a stubby shotgun look. Even metroplex wants one. :) 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I'll have to wait for another weekend off to update the other gun.

• Like Like x 9
  15. The Madness

News Credits:
    And yeah, I considered combining the two guns into an even bigger weapon, but felt that was taking the piss.

16. xjsb125

xjsb125 Well-Known Member

Still want to buy one, haha. They look awesome.

• Like Like x 2
  17. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    lol...im digging the new name of the post.

i am also blown away by the second and third barrel of the gun. that is fantastic all the way around.

whenever you decide to post these files online i am so there and excited to print these. great work man and keep it up.

i do have a quick question if you dont mind. what kind of printer do you have? because these prints are f'ning amazing and some of the best i have seen.

if this a prusa or another high end printer or do you have a c3 like dialed to the max.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hit dogs holler

I don't mind Max's two guns being smaller than Metroplex's one gun - they're pistols as opposed to rifles or whatever.

IMO the main goal with any attempt to replicate the G1 Max guns for TR would be having them integrate well in base mode. I wonder if there isn't a way for the big cannon to disassemble and peg onto the city mode as a set of towers? The big barrel as a "water tower" or cylindrical skyscraper, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This is great. As others have said, I'd love to get a pair if you can figure out a way to make it affordable :) 

• Like Like x 1
  20. TechnoDemon

TechnoDemon Cuddly Robot

Cybertron North, Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Twitter:
    Definitely printing these myself if you share the STL files <3

• Like Like x 1