Better Blaster for the money?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jerryitus, Aug 10, 2010.

?

Which is a better blaster for the money?

1. Device Label for ~$70

26 vote(s)
    60.5%
  2. Universe 2.0 for ~$15

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
  1. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

I think you are comparing a Yugo to a Yugo dressed up as a Mercedes.

DV Blaster is a $10 piece of electronics inserted into a $10 toy and priced at $70.

I just don't get the appeal. Especially when you can get a SDCC Blaster with all the extra tapes for $50 right now.

2. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  3. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Device Label easily wins out over the Uni. Blaster.

For that matter, G1 Blaster pwns the Uni. one.

4. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I didn't know, so I checked and USB hubs on bestbuy.com are between $30-45.

Now, USB Blaster isn't really a $10 toy either. He's more inbetween a large deluxe and a small voyager.

I'm not saying that at $70 he's a bargain, but when you factor in import costs to it all, he's not too far out of line.

All that aside, if you had one in hand, you'd see that there's some really great quality in him. The design works really well for a modern take on the character and for all the hype ML Soundwave gets, I think DL Blaster is far superior.

5. Facemeat

Facemeat Give me your Face(meat)!

I'd go with Uni. 2.0. Sure, device label looks a hell of a lot better, but I could never shell out $70 for it (or practically any TF, my limit's about $50 for a single figure, and that'd have to be gigantic and awesome). Honestly though, if it were me, and I didn't already have it, I'd go with G1 Blaster. He's big, well made, has the right alt-mode, and can be had for fairly cheap.

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Device Label, easily. I'm glad I paid the money for it. If you don't have the disposable cash the Universe version is an ok substitute I suppose but the mold is awful and nothing about it screams 'Blaster'. I'd save the money for Device Label.

7. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

I looked on Meritline.com and I saw 4 port unpowered USB 2.0 hubs for under $10. Yes they are cheaply made in China... Probably just like DV Blaster.

I really haven't been able to get a good determination of the size. Looking at pics of it sitting next to a computer, it looked smaller than a deluxe. But, either way, I still don't see the justification for the high price tag.

8. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    credit to optimusfan for the pic

...and Blaster isn't even standing up straight there.

9. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Exactly, the G1 version is still the best.

10. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    To me the appeal is to have an articulated, not-ridiculously-oversized figure that fits in with "Classics". SDCC Blaster doesn't do that. (My Takara reissue Blaster is great for my G1 collection/display, but not for "Classics") U2 Blaster maybe does that for some people, but personally I quite dislike that mold.

11. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm seeing a little bit of hatin' on DL Blaster because of the price and the fact that is USB insides are only 10-20 bucks. BL Blaster to me seems right on par with Warbot Defender and he's fetching around 80 bucks now. Would those people hating on DL Blaster also hate on Warbot Defender because the Universe Springer was only 25-30 bucks at Target? I'm curious on your thoughts. I personally don't like Warbot Defender because he looks too blocky and jagged. But that's my personal opinion on why I don't like him.

12. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    Device label.

But if price is the issue, go for the kabaya kit one if you can find one of the Knock-offs.
    Perfect height, and perfect alt.

13. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    This. Just get a G1.

14. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Warbot has the benefit of being the product of a cutting-edge, highly respected third party who seemingly can do no wrong (aside from that TFCon exclusive), while Universe Springer would be regarded as the allegedly lazy redeco of some corporation that supposedly doesn't care about the fans. [/nerd rage]

Snark aside, I think both Warbot and Device Label Blaster would still be in-demand items - and maybe a bit cheaper - if they didn't have gimmicks like diecast parts or actual working electronics. Sure, that would render the whole point of Device Label Blaster meaningless, but that should mean a lower price point; just repackage him as Generations Blaster.

I wound up skipping on the reissued G1 Blaster because I already had his cassette minions from Encore. I just didn't like the idea of buying duplicates of his minions. It seemed like a valid reason at the time =_=

I like the fact that the Device Label can fit in better with Classics Transformers, and can actually hold a cassette. But I'm waiting to see if the mold gets knocked off, like what happened with Device Label Ravage.

15. g1_fanatic

g1_fanatic Well-Known Member

I'd go for the SDCC Blaster for $50. He's still available on HTS and has a very cool looking sleeve cover. He's worth it in my opinion. However, it all boils down to your decision on what you think will make you happy.

16. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am getting the SDCC Blaster in the mail any day now.
    i would say for $50, get him...
    But:
    1.) if you really want a "Classics" feel, spend the extra and get the DL.
    2.) from the Mixed Bag o' Reviews of the condition SDCC Blaster has been getting, it may be a better, safer bet to go with DL.

Since i have a balanced G1 and Classics collection i just simplified things by getting the SDCC one to bookend my TRU Soundwave. The Uni. Blaster is both a turd and an insult to the name of such a great character.