1. Of note - we are in the process of upgrading the site to use HTTPS / SSL. In that time, you may be logged in/out depending on what area of the site you are looking at. If you want to be logged into the forums, please log in via https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/login/. If you do that, you will not be logged in while looking at the front page. We hope to have this fixed within the next 24 hours or so.
    Dismiss Notice

Best/Worst Studio Series Figure As Of Now?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GoldToaster, Jan 3, 2019.

1. konrathink

konrathink Jared Magnus

Best:
    Grimlock
    ROTF Meg's

Worst:
    Lockdown (it's the best we have, but still not good)

• Like Like x 1
  2. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi Day 23/365 of my TF collecting diet!

Instagram:
    YouTube:
    So far all the SSs I’ve gotten were excellent. But if I had to pick the worst it’d be Ratchet, too little paint apps and his green looks hideous.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yaujta

Yaujta ANUTFORAJAROFTUNA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Of the ones I've kept, I'll say VW Bumblebee is the best. I love the transformation and the size doesn't bother me like I thought it would. Not overly fond of the faceplate swap and it's inability to lock into place, but the articulation and character the figure has is pretty darn cool.

Worst, I'll say Dropkick. Fiddly, loose joints, glued neck ball joint and a non-spinning helicopter blade I saw as unforgivable. Returned it the next day.

I'll throw these out there as well:
    Most surprising goes to Lockdown. I wasn't expecting much out of it, but was pleasantly surprised. It's a really good figure and one I didn't trade/sell/return or scrap.
    Most disappointing was RotF Megatron. I always liked the murdertank TransTech design and was looking forward to this one. With leg parts falling off and a neck hinge that wouldn't stay attached, I gave up and sold it off. If the new one is improved I may pick it up since I still really like the design.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Olivus Prime

Olivus Prime Space Ranger

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not owning many of them, I'd say Crowbar is easily my worst (not sure what the designer was on when they decided to just shove the dreads into a random gap for vehicle mode) and Blackout just edges out Ironhide and Brawl for the best spot.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheSuperion

TheSuperion Am...were...Aerialbots

Best: Grimlock or Jazz. One is massive, the other is tiny, but both are virtually flawless marvels of modern toy engineering, and super accurate to the onscreen characters.

Worst: One of the bumbles. I haven't picked any of them up myself, but I own the TLK Bumblebee that some of them are derived from, and I completely understand the issues people have with the mold. In my collection though, its probably Crowbar. He's better than Berserker, but that's not saying much. Good robot mode, but an absolute pain in the ass to transform to vehicle mode, and one of the door panels refuses to snap in.

• Like Like x 1
  6. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Super Pilot

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Among the 4 Studio Series figures, my favorite would be Jazz. This figure is small for sure, but the sculpt is very detailed, interesting transformation and good articulation makes this figure a worthy purchase; There's a reason why I consider this my favorite figure of 2018.

IMG_20181116_093938.jpg

The weakest among the 4 I owned unfortunetly, is Stinger. He's not a bad figure at all and there are a lot to like about this figure (cool transformation, more accurate than any previous Stinger toys), but this figure is only at its best on robot mode. I find the Pagani Huarya mode of this figure to be average at best with its toy-ish colour and exposed wheel pegs, which kinda sucks since the real Pagani Huarya supercar itself looks a lot cooler than its depiction in this toy.

IMG_20181014_165806.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

My favorite is actually Camaro Bumblebee, from what I have. Least favorite so far is Crowbar. Not bad looking, but a nightmare to try and transform.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Taureanstar

Taureanstar Well-Known Member

I've been watching this thread closely because I'm debating between getting ss ironhide or ss megatron. And after this thread I'm even more confused lol. I wonder if Megatron's alt mode is solid. I can't tell from reviews.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Majestic Senzu

Majestic Senzu I like Bay and Knight! TFW2005 Supporter

Best of the 2 I have is easily Grimlock.

I wouldn't know the worst, as I avoided most of the ones I thought were trash anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GoldToaster

GoldToaster “Ya Like Jazz?”

Talk about hard times. I can’t really suggest anything to you because I don’t own those figures, but I’d say either get both, or really decide on which you’d prefer to have or enjoy having.

11. Negronicus

Negronicus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As an owner of both molds....ss ironhide. By miles.

• Like Like x 1
  12. newmanium

newmanium Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I second this. Ironhide is solid, period. Megatron is a good representation of the character but the mold has its flaws. His tank mode is fairly solid, but the treads untab from the body of the tank from time to time.

The worst of the line is Lockdown / Shadow Rider. Uninspired, lackluster transformation; huge backpack; poor articulation.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Negronicus

Negronicus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WHAT! HARD disagree. There is a fantastic level of detail on the deluxe coupled with little touches that arent featured in the regular instructions which greatly improve robot mode, like the adjustment of the shoulders and the pushing out of the chest. ....also its fucking Lockdown and I love him. Carry on

• Like Like x 2
  14. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

Of the currently available figures:

Best: Ironhide...with honorable mentions to OP and Blackout...and Jazz...and VW BB cuz he is so stinkin' cute...

Worst: F'n Crowbar...with honorable mention to Ratchet

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chopperface

Chopperface All the Stars Are Closer

News Credits:
    Best is Blackout, Jazz, and Ironhide. Starscream is also really good, and Jetfire looks like he’s amazing as well. Grimlock’s robot mode deserves mention because by god, someone sold their soul to make that good of a sculpt.

Worst has got to be Crankcase. What an idiotic, lazy misfire.