Best Voyager Movie Optimus Prime Mold?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by JohnRedcorn, May 24, 2014.

?

Best Mold

1. 2007 movie mold

7 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. ROTF (Battle Blades)

112 vote(s)
    46.9%
  3. DOTM mold

3 vote(s)
    1.3%
  4. AOE Evasion

114 vote(s)
    47.7%
  5. DOTM Ultimate (not technically voyager)

3 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Do people have to lick and maybe take a bite to decide?

*licks both*

Yeah, evasion prime tastes kinda weird.

2. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude, I forgot to thank you for the pictures! I really appreciate it! Your pictures sold me on Revenge Optimus and the DOTM Megatron (Chronicles version) and I picked them both!

Yeah, that's an aspect that cost Evasion points for me. The back of the alternate mode leaves much to be desired.

3. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I picked up an Evasion Mode Optimus Prime today, and you know what? I really really like him. But I was a bit concerned that it might be because he's all new and stuff so I decided (as you do) to dig out all the Movie Voyagers and group test them.

[​IMG]

TF07 Voyager Optimus Prime, if I go over his pros, there's a lot of them. His truck mode is probably the best out of all the Voyagers and the most interesting. Aside from the chunkier proportions and tilted roof he has his little disappearing driver, both his spring missile launchers are stowable in ALT mode and he even has light piping for his blue headlights! His Transformation isn't that difficult and includes a fairly nifty Auto Morph step in his legs. Once done his robot mode proportions are actually very good, even if he's not screen accurate.

He's far from perfect though, the biggest flaw is his mahoosive backpack in robot mode, plus wierdly his arms/shoulders don't lock into his torso in robot mode... something I didn't remember. He has no ankle tilts, which was meaningless back in '07 but makes a big difference compared to modern figures. Plus talking about his feet they're always leaned forward, presumably to accomodate that Automorph feature.

[​IMG]

ROTF/HFTD Battle Blade Prime... well. Let's start off by saying... goddamn he hasn't aged well. Sure he looks accurate and is a marvel of engineering, but did I have fun transforming him to a robot from truck? No I did not. Fiddly as anything and tabbing/locking his chest torso is a nightmare and because of the transformation his legs aways bow inwards at the knees, something I vaguely remember from back in the day. Plus his head isn't ball jointed, so he can only look left and right, no upward motion!

Not to say he's not without merit, he too has stowable twin guns, has his swords and is basically a shrunk down ROTF Leader Prime, but too many bits popped off during transforming him (both his chest pieces, one of his slidey arm bits) so I gotta say, he's not a fun guy.

[​IMG]

I suspect I'm in the rare position to be able to comment on the DOTM Voyager Prime that's not all weaponised. I spent a rediculous amount of money (for what he is) getting hold of the Tak-Tom version with 'Mechtech Trailer!' First things first, that trailer is a big pile of shit, but it does look good as a trailer. His Mechtech weapon is actually *gasp* very good, in that it goes from a fairly screen accurate blaster and locks into a sword. The truck mode has a cursory 'Stealth Force' mode where you can expose a few extra guns and stuff. Eh. He has the best light piped eyes of all the Voyagers, clear plastic with blue painted eyes works so much better then clear blue plastic.

His transformation is OK, but his arms! Woeful, they're weirdly stubby, bowed inward at the elbow and the slidey panels don't lock so you're always fighting them. He's not bad, and I can see why he was made (because the previous Battle Blades guy was a fiddly mess) but he should have been better.

[​IMG]

Evasion mode Prime has flaws, his truck mode has a gappy back, he sorely needs more paint apps. His gun doesn't stow away in truck mode even though it looks like there is enough room for a clever gun to fold away between his legs/torso.

But aside from that? Love this guy. He goes from by far the smallest truck into the biggest Voyager Prime. His Robot mode proportions are chunky and heroic, not like Battle Blades who looks anorexic by comparison. He is super posable, and crucially, his transformation is intuitive and fun. His gun is much maligned but honestly? I think it works well with him.

Plus, you see that large gap/indentation toward the rear of his truck mode? It can accomodate the DOTM Mechtech trailer.

[​IMG]

It doesn't lock into place but it can haul the trailer around and actually looks like they could have been made for each other. So yeah, he's not perfect but on balance he's probably the best Movie Voyager so far.

[​IMG]

So yeah, my list goes, Evasion>>TF07>>ROTF/HFTD BB>>DOTM.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  4. Fallout

Fallout a dude he can't lose when lives on love

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    as far as voyager primes are rated my list goes Evasion, DOTM, TF1, and HFTD. i hate that freakin battle blades mold. fragile, fiddly and ugly.

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I'm right there with you.

Is Battle Blades a marvel of engineering? Yes.

Is it a fun toy? No.

6. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am starting to ralize that the arms for the evasion prime seem too skinny and short for its big torso.

you also get a matrix with it and blades that you can't see either

7. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I've always thought that. I got the Wal-Mart Battle Hooks version with the "free" Comettor, but "Not Fun" is what I'd use to describe it.

Evasion is a nice balance of a lot of criteria: size, articulation, ease of transformation, effectiveness of transformation, alt mode appearance.

8. thunder117

thunder117 Magna Defender

Ebay:
    Well, leader RotF Prime didn't have it, so it's a by-gone.

9. JohnRedcorn

News Credits:
    I recently got the Revenge Optimus Prime version.

The new deco, in my opinion, takes the BB version to another level.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Gonna have to go Evasion.

11. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I have both and Evasion is fun, his truck looks like G1, which is why I bought him.

Evasion has a good alt mode in the front half, terrible alt mode looking from behind. Battle Blades has a terrific alt mode all the way around. Battle Blades robot mode is is as close to screen accurate as a twenty dollar toy can be. Just my 2 cents.

I totally agree with the last sentence here. Play value, Evasion mode wins. Transformation is fun and gratifying. Which is why movie one version is so awesome. But for the money, Battle Blades is a screen accurate truck and screen accurate robot that is unrivaled with the movie voyager Primes. The transformation between the two is the drawback, but Battle Blades is the better mold in my opinion.

12. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

The main thing IMO holding down Evasion Prime is the arms. The arms are horrible, way too thin and skinny and the hands are tiny. With that said I have two of him, regular Hasbro and Takara rusty version.

13. Huffington

Huffington Banned

It's an easy enough decision for me. I abhor the movie designs and the movies themselves. In spite of that, I decided to get Evasion Prime because he looks that awesome. Even better, I was extremely happy upon opening him to find out he was as good in hand as he was photographed on this forum. A wonderfully awesome toy all-around.

14. JohnRedcorn

News Credits:
    I also think the chest is a little too big. Also for me, it is a tad bit too tall than Galvatron

15. thunder117

thunder117 Magna Defender

Ebay:
    ^ Or Galvatron just sucks?

16. JohnRedcorn

News Credits:
    despite its issues, just focusing on its height solely.

17. Wheeljackie

Wheeljackie He will set us free

Evasion Prime is such a great toy

18. JohnRedcorn

News Credits:
    Except that it is slightly bigger than Voyager grimlock.

19. Huffington

Huffington Banned

Interesting to see Evasion so close to the top. I have him myself and adore him. Am definitely going to buy more than one. I'm curious if the fact that he is full of new-toy shine puts him so high. Will be interesting to revisit this much later on.

20. JohnRedcorn

News Credits:
    I think it is because more people are starting to acquire him.