Best Visual Effects Competition?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Rob Almighty, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Rob Almighty

Rob Almighty Kneel before Rob.

Is anyone generally worried that ROTF will get ousted by Avatar this year (or maybe another movie that's another technical marvel) for the Academy Award for Best Visual Effects?

Last time saw the Golden Compass interfere with ILM's trophy. I'm sure we can all assume that the Academy will slobber all over another Cameron wonder film (considering that almost every movie he's made has won the award).

2. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    Im not really worried as i find that Avatars Visual Effects seem to be slightly better than TF2 so it would be fair that the right film won.

Then again James Cameron has won a Crapload of Oscars.

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I'd take photorealistic robots over shoddily animated vaguely cartoony furry wankfantasies any day, kthx. Hopefully the politically motivated twats at the Oscars can stop blowing Cameron long enough to think the same thing.

4. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    That bastard. LOL

5. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    James Cameron will win just because of who he is. The Oscars will never give it to Bay, even though I think Transformers deserves to win in that category.

6. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    The way it's looking, I'm not sure Avatar's going to be completed in time for Oscar submission, if the production cycle was anything like it was for ROTF.

7. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Revenge of the Fallen won't even get nominated. Not after the way critics responded to it. Hollywood politics won't allow it to even get considered. SFX will go to Harry Potter because that was "THE best film of the year!!!!!1!@1!"

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think part of it depends on timing. If the release date for Avatar puts it in the mix this year then everyone else can pretty much give up any dreams of that little gold guy up on the shelf. Cameron is making a whole new world and there is just a really nice visual clash between the human's stuff and the world they are invading. Just seems like far too many things that are creatively new for any other movie to have a chance.

If Avatar is up for next year's Oscar then there are still a few films that might take the prize. Hollywood does sort of love the little dark horse in the race so given the tiny budget of District 9 compared to the visuals it produced I could see it as the expected upset victory.

I think Revenge of the Fallen is a strong contender, but it just lacked that polish in some moments of the film that might cost it compared to other films. It's also got the problem of being a sequel so some voters might feel like they have seen things like transformations and explosions before. Talk of a third film also hurts the chances because voters might give the award to another movie thinking the third film could get the award.

I expect Revenge of the Fallen to be nominated but I will not be shocked if it doesn't win.

9. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I has a Dec. 18th release date, I imagine it'll apply for consideration

10. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I think The Golden Compass winning was unfair, wasn't half as impressed with the cgi than I was with Transformers..I think this time people will be less wowed by ROTF, and at the same time VERY pleased with Avatar. Even if the Navi characters look cartoony, there's some really nice shots in the trailer already..plus it's 3d. It probably has NOTHING to do with if the special effects are good, but just wait: the judges handing out oscars are going to use that as an excuse anyway. :) 

11. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Release date means nothing. If I remember the rules correctly, it had to have been COMPLETED and entered into the academy sometime last month. Pretty sure Avatar doesn't fulfill that requirement.

12. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    funniest thing ive heard all day.

13. Optronix_prime

Optronix_prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Avatars CG is way better than Transformers, but ROTF deserves the award since Avatar won't be eligible.

Oh yeah, onto the proof. (full size it)

[​IMG]

DEM PORES!

14. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IDK man, Avatar is looking very lackluster for freaking 400 millions budget.

If anybody should be a match it should be District 9, amazing CGI except ultra cheap.

15. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First off, the first film really got robbed of the Oscar. To date I think it has the best special and visual effects of any film to date, even moreso than ROTF. The robots looked extremely realistic and the compositing was near flawless. While ROTF improved on action, I think the robots themselves felt a bit more "pasted in", maybe due to the location choices. The lighting and little details of the effects in TF1 made it so believeable. (ROTF still did a great animation job on Prime and Bumblebee. The Decepticons, probably due to how outrageous they were getting in the cases of Fallen and Devastator, looked less "real" than in the first. It's hard to pinpoint it but the ROTF robots' colors seem brighter and flashier compared to the duller but more real-looking look of TF1).

That said, I can't say for sure if ROTF will win this year. Avatar and District 9 both have/seem to have amazing visuals as well, even if Avatar is not elligible, D9 is still competition. I won't be upset though if either won, because in this case those films actually deserve the award, unlike the Golden Compass.

16. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    F*ck. I forgot about Avatar.

Looks like ROTF has some completion.

17. Evil_the_Nub

Evil_the_Nub Well-Known Member

Avatar looks like they just photoshopped the actors faces, Rotf is a lot more impressive. Unfortunately Hollywood politics has more to do with who wins an Oscar than anything.

18. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

We're gonna lose the oscars. Might as well face the music.

I hate those who judge all the movies at the oscars. From what I can tell they don't realize and appreciate the time it took to make those bots and cons look as realistic as possible. They're probably just a bunch of snotty stuck up twats who probably stroke themselves to timeless classics everyday.

If done on a regular computer, the CGI in Transformers 2 would have taken 16,000 years to fully process. It even caused a computer to freaking explode!

19. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I, being a Transformers fan, a visual effects lover and especially an Industrial Light & Magic fan, would LOVE for Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen to win the Academy Award, or at a minimum, receive a nomination spot in the final 3. However, due to the poor reception of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, I am having doubts that it'll receive even that. I certainly hope that this is not going to be the case...

Judge #1: "So, the next nominee for this category is 'Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen'..."
    Judge #2: "Oh, gosh, no! Why would we even consider this film? It only got 19% on Rotten Tomatoes!"
    Judge #3: "And Michael Bay directed it!"
    Judge #1: "Oh. Well then..." *tosses the proverbial nomination sheet out the window*

...because why should the reviews of a film have a say in the visual effects category?! So, the film may have 'sucked' from a filmmaking standpoint, so the film may have been directed by Michael Bay, so the plot was 'weak/incoherent'. That should NOT MATTER AT ALL when it comes to possibility of a visual effects (and/or sound editing) nomination! :banghead: 

And Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen had amazing visual effects in my opinion! Granted, they may not have had the polished look when compared to the first film, due to the rush of post-production, but what we saw in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen is leaps and bounds above what we usually get.

These are my realistic predictions for the visual effects Oscar:
    Star Trek
    Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

(I'd be fine with Revenge of the Fallen not winning, as long as another ILM film gets a spot too. [2 nominations for ILM, or 1 award would be fantastic!]

Good luck, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and/or Industrial Light & Magic! :thumb 

20. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    District 9 or Star Trek might win.

Avatar might win if it gets nominated

2012 and RoTF might be just nominees.