Best Unicron Trilogy Bots

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Zethrofax, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Zethrofax

Zethrofax G1 Traitor - Beast Wars 4 life

So I grew up with G1, blah blah blah, but I came back to transformers after a 25 year break and was in full snob mode and only interested in Masterpieces. I didn't want children's TOYS I wanted MANLY ADULT COLLECTIBLES. But that stance has softened greatly the last few years and I have been finding myself more drawn to bots outside of the G1 norm.

smash cut to Thew's latest video

I love how gaudy and bombastic Cybertron leader class Megatron is. It's looks like tons of fun. and HUGE, I couldnt see a leader class being made today with that much mass and so many gimmicks.

since I sadly missed the Unicron trilogy entirely I would like recommendations for figures from those lines. they dont have to be considered the best of the line, I just want some cool interesting robots suggestions!

2. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    I think we just had a "best of Cybertron" thread, and I think Cybertron is handily the best of the three lines, but in the interest of not repeating myself with a bunch of Cybertron toys: the Omnicons and Terrorcons from Energon are just all-around great.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
    Even though he is a brick: Tidal Wave

• Like Like x 1
  4. Super Mecha Dad

Super Mecha Dad Your mechanical father.

Twitter:
    Yeah I was looking for something like this.

Compeletely missed UT at the time it was going, was way out of the hobby then.

Got back in around TR and really started collecting with WfC.

Enjoyed the hell out of Galaxy Upgrade Optimus and selects Hot Shot, found a mostly-complete Cybertron Optimus and further enjoyed the hell out of him.

I enjoy the more toy-like aspects of the UT toys, but it's hard to tell what's good from this far out. Before I go nuts on transformerland, any opinions on Cybertron deluxe (car) Hot Shot, Cybertron Defense Hot Shot, Energon Megatron, and Energon Rodimus?

The powerlinx stuff looks like fun, anyone in particular I should get to be pants for Rodimus?

• Like Like x 1
  5. poisoncow

poisoncow ....

Cybertron Optimus and Galvatron are both A+ bots. Cybertron really has some gems though (Cybertron Defense Team.is lovely). Bendy Armada Prime is a great mold from Armada, Energon Ravage and Divebomb are both wonderful. There's a lot of great stuff from that time period.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  6. deaddude

deaddude Well-Known Member

I recently picked up Energon Shockblast (i.e. Shockwave) since it was a favorite of mine when I was a kid, and honestly it still holds up pretty well. Yeah, both of the alt-modes are kind of nothing, but that's pretty typical for Shockwave when he's not a scifi gun. At least the satellite mode is pretty unique. The robot mode is where this thing shines. The proportions are chunky but sleek, with sharp angles all over the head, torso, legs, and feet. The translucent plastic that they used for the eye, chest, and cannon accents captures the light really well, so he looks like he's glowing in direct light. The articulation was kind of ahead of its time, including a limited ankle rocker and waist joint. (The cannon is a huge brick though unfortunately). If you can find it for a good price I think its worth it and actually fits in decently with a modern display.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Transform4Christ

Transform4Christ Well-Known Member

Cybertron Optimus Prime.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Super Mecha Dad

Super Mecha Dad Your mechanical father.

Twitter:
    I'm putting Cybertron Galvatron in the same category as Cybertron Wing Saber / Sonic Bomber / Wingblade: the CIB price is just way too high, and the "nearly complete" copies i've seen are all missing enough pieces that I'd have to buy three to fully assemble them. They're (both) on my wait-for-TFCon list.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

I like Galaxy Force Convoy (With Sonic Bomber), Cybertron Jetfire, and Hotshot best. (Japanese versions have the best/most paint apps, so I am referring mostly to them.) Cybertron had the best figures of the trilogy, while Energon had great Decepticons, and not so great Autobots. Armada had a lot of great unique designs, like Tidalwave, Sideways, Unicron and the Minicons.

I personally prefer the Unicron Trilogy figures over the Generations+ figures. A lot of really unique designs and characters, lots of repaints of these figures. Lots of things to do with them. I really like the gimmicks, and the combining features. Although, the fact that most Autobots combine with other Autobots, really did ruin them for Energon for me. But, overall I love the entire line. I have quite a lot of Unicron Trilogy figures, and I have yet to dislike a single one I've picked up. I even like the tiny Cybertron Rhino figure. Sure, he is a bit ugly, but he is fun to transform. I picked him up for under 5 bucks, so that helped too.

I think the best of the gimmicks for the line was the Minicon gimmick, then the Energon Weapons, and finally the Cybertron keys being the weakest. Not that they're bad, it's just that the way they are triggered are like a downgrade the Minicons. With the Minicons we placed them on to the figure to push the buttons that activated the gimmicks. With Cybertron, you just stick a plastic disc into the figure, and that activates the gimmicks. Other than that, the plastic disc does nothing. The Energon Weapons were quite cool, as they'd combine in different ways, and can be configured anyway one wants. Overall I prefer Cybertron over the others, and I really liked the gimmicks best too. It's just the way that triggers them that kind of 'suck' in comparison to Armada's.

Unicron Trilogy is my favorite era of Transformers after G1. It has the most variety in things the robots transform into since G1, and very creative ways they transformed into them. I love it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. R3M1NGT0N

R3M1NGT0N Well-Known Member

Cybertron is widely viewed as the best as mentioned above. Armada has a few standouts: Sideways and Tidal Wave come to mind. From Energon, I personally liked Landmine and the Megatron mold.

• Like Like x 1
  11. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Following proto

Essentials:
    Leader Megatron and Leader Optimus. Noise Maze/Sideways. Takara Vector Prime. Galvatron. Wing Saber.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Shockwave81

Shockwave81 Protecting Cybertron from all hostile threats Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As I mostly collected the Japanese releases:

- Laserwave (Shockblast)
    - Shockfleet (Mirage)
    - Galaxy Convoy
    - Noisemaze

Regrettably, I sold off Galaxy Convoy a number of years ago, but managed to pick up Cybertron OP earlier this year.

Love the look of all of the above, and they are still fun toys to muck around with occasionally.

13. wingblade prime

wingblade prime On the Lost Light

Energon Landmine and Bulkhead. Two incredible figures on their own , and their power up modes are really awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  14. bkh

bkh Well-Known Member

I miss most of my old UT figures. I managed to get Energon Rodimus and Downshift back to Powerlink, but that is all. I remember having a steady schedule of transforming them to keep my display fresh. These newer lines just are not as fun to me as the UT. If I could afford to get 5 of them back now, I would get Cybertron Megatron, Cybertron Optimus, Cybertron Scourge, Energon Landmine, and Armada Jetfire. Another one I liked was Cybertron Menasor.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible TFW2005 Supporter

Bulkhead.