Best Transformers Cartoon Of All

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SeanTF1967, Jan 5, 2015.

?

Which Is Your Personal Favourite Transformers Cartoon

1. Transformers Generation 1

38.2%
  2. Beast Wars Transformers

43.5%
  3. Beast Machines Transformers

8.5%
  4. Transformers Robots In Disguise 2001

5.7%
  5. Transformers Armada

8.1%
  6. Transformers Energon

2.1%
  7. Transformers Cybertron

7.4%
  8. Transformers Animated

36.0%
  9. Transformers Prime

20.5%
  10. Transformers Rescue Bots

5.3%
  11. Transformers Robots In Disguise 2015

3.9%
  12. Transformers Japanese Collection ( Any one of them )

4.2%
  13. Transformers Live Action Films/ Bayformers

8.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. flik68

flik68 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ggg11111

2. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

This. G1 is still #1 to me.

3. GreyRouge

GreyRouge The Master of Motors!

News Credits:
    Cybertron was my first TF series that I watched and has been my favorite because they were CGI toys that transformed like the toys for easy help.

4. Scorponok

Scorponok Kindness is no virtue and cruelty is no vice

G1 without a doubt in my opinion. It was my first introduction and set the bar for everything after.

5. CometArmagon

CometArmagon Planet Trasher Extrodiner

Ebay:
    That it did, I really hope they write on this level again one day.

6. Una

Una Well-Known Member

Beast Wars, Beast Machines, and Transformers: Animated are to me the best Transformer shows. None of the others have got me as invested in the characters and stories as these three did. =D

7. Chief Gage

Chief Gage Well-Known Member

G1 hands down!!!!

8. G0RK33

G0RK33 Well-Known Member

The original is one that I can always throw on and beg out to. But that's more the nostalgia factor than the production quality.

Beast Wars was the most well crafted series in terms of writing. I do wish they'd gone with traditional animation though. I appreciate that the CGI was ground breaking at the time, but I've always preferred traditional animation.

Definitely makes it harder for me to revisit, especially the earlier seasons, as it just doesn't hold up.

About a year ago I revisited Animated and fell in love with it. I dug it when it originally aired, but watching straight through made it that much better. One series that left me wanting more.

Also dug Prime, just not a fan of the movie aesthetic.

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I think it's funny how people like to look down on nostalgia, as if it wasn't a powerful force in the world, or a legitimate reason to enjoy something.

G1 should get credit for being able to generate the insane level of nostalgia it has in the ridiculously large and widespread group of people it did.

We may now enjoy the Sunbow cartoon more out of nostalgia than for the quality of its animation. And certainly more than for the level of writing. Understood. But the massive, enduring nostalgia for G1 is testament to how great it was.

10. SpinalCord

SpinalCord Banned

BW no question. But if I had to rank them...

1.) Beast Machines
    2.) Beast Wars
    3.) Japanese Beastie shows (BW, II, Neo, Returns)
    4.) Car Robots
    5.) Animated
    6.) Prime

The rest I just don't like, couldn't figure out how to rank them and then stopped caring.

11. SpinalCord

SpinalCord Banned

G1 was the originator and an original idea that sparked a phenomenon... Beast Wars was a show for the next generation in a franchise a decade dead. It wasn't a phenomenon back then, so I think it's unfair to shame it for not having lasting appeal the way G1 does... there is really nothing of the '90s that exploded as big as things did in the '80s. Like box office numbers, none of that really matters... Beast Wars is the far superior show regardless of the fewer people that know about it

They're just loud and persistent... I think the majority of TF fans (even those that grew up with G1) think Beast Wars is were the bar's at for a quality TransFormers show

12. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    BEAST WAAARS!
    A big part of it is because of the little things: the nicknames, Cheetor having photos of himself with the other Maximals, Waspinator playing cards with Inferno and Quickstrike, the rubber ducky, imitating each other's mannerisms (yesssss)... tiny little details that went a long way to illustrate that these guys actually live with each other and do stuff besides the plot. Tarantulas having a dartboard with Megatron's photo on it is an infinitely more interesting way to tell us viewers Tarantulas hates his boss than just having him say so.

Animated is also really good.
    Don't particularly care for the rest.

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That's a silly argument. G1 created its phenomenon. Beast Wars could have created its own phenomenon if it had sparked imaginations the same way. It just didn't. That isn't "shaming" it, and it's not "unfair"; it's just a statement of the historical facts.

Again, if you ask me which show had better writing, I'm going to say Beast Wars. All day long. If you ask me which show had better characters, I'm going to say Beast Wars. No question. And I can randomly grab any episode from any season of Beast Wars (OR Machines) and am 100% guaranteed to enjoy myself. But you are right, for whatever indefinable element that must have been missing somewhere, it did not spark a phenomenon. It barely even generated awareness.

Definitely agree. I grew up with G1, and I agree that Beast Wars absolutely represents a high water mark in terms of quality.

14. AlexaStar

AlexaStar Starscream is love

My personal favorite Transformers series is Armada because of nostalgia reasons, Starscream's character arc, and the existence of my OTP.

My second favorite Transformers series is Animated because it was fun, well-written, and it included aspects from all other TFs cartoons/anime before it.

I suppose my third favorite would be either RID2000 or RID2015 (which one it is will depend on how the new show goes), and I like them because of how fun they are. Plus, in regards to RID2000, Sky-Byte and the other Predacons are adorable!

I don't hate any of the other cartoons/anime/movies as a whole, but they're just not my favorites. However, as I haven't seen any of the Japanese Transformers series (Scramble City, Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory, Beast Wars II, Beast Wars Neo, and Go!), I cannot comment on them.

G1 is fun to watch and I enjoy the cheesy 80s atmosphere, but I'm kind of soured on most things being set in the G1 continuity family (such as IDW's G1 comics, though they have improved on that by including some non-G1 characters recently).

Beast Wars is the best written TF cartoon we've ever gotten, and I readily admit that (including to my friend who only likes Beast Wars and even then only because he grew up watching it). It has its fun moments, and it has the glorious Dinobot (precursor to my beloved Armada Starscream) and the badass Blackarachnia. However, the reason I don't consider it a favorite despite liking it a lot is because I prefer vehicle modes to animal modes (at least for the majority of the cast; I don't mind some beast modes). My feelings on the matter might be different had I watched it as a kid, but for whatever reason, I never did (though I was certainly old enough to have started watching it, being 3 when it first premiered).

My opinion on Beast Machines is.....complicated. I think the premise of the show is extremely interesting and the CGI animation was good, but the designs overall are terrifying to look at when compared to what the characters looked like in Beast Wars. Plus, the characters were not as they were in the previous series, which sours my opinion of it even more. That said, I did enjoy most of what I saw when it came to Botanica, Strika, and Jetstorm, though the latter's
    reveal to be Silverbolt and his transformation back into him made me sad for the loss of Jetstorm's playful personality
    . In addition, I do immensely enjoy the Beast Era's penchant for developed romances, which is something I'm hoping to see more of in this franchise. It is also hilarious to note that the only onscreen lip kiss between any Transformers throughout the franchise (that I know of) is between Rattrap and Rhinox in BW. :p 

And now, Transformers Energon. As the majority of people agree, this is the worst animated Transformers series ever. The CGI is complete shit, it wiped clean the memories of various characters, it didn't follow through with interesting plot points laid forth by its predecessor, and the dub is awful. However, there are some aspects about the show that I do like, few as they may be. Despite the poor animation, I do like the style of most of the characters, and I like Arcee in particular. I also like what they did with Alexis in having her as a liaison between Earth and the Autobots, which put her in a great position of influence. Though I will be forever disappointed that she and Starscream/Nightscream never met and rekindled what they once had.

Transformers Cybertron is a pretty good series overall. I like the designs and the plot line, and I adore Thunderblast, the first female Decepticon in a TF cartoon/anime. I will never, however, consider it a part of the storyline set forth in Armada and Energon (Hasbro's original plans be damned), so I never use the "Unicron Trilogy" moniker. Cybertron is its own separate continuity from Armada/Energon, just like G1 and Animated are.

As for the movies, I enjoy them for what they are, but I also recognize that they could be better. I am still angry that there were no female Transformers in the third or fourth movies however, but with the fifth one getting a new director, hopefully there will be some, along with better writing.

And finally, it comes to Transformers Prime. This show started off so well. The animation and character designs are gorgeous, the music is spectacular, and the voice acting overall is phenomenal. But when it came to writing and characterization, the show failed tremendously. So many wasted plot points and little risk to the Autobots (despite their annoying repeated statements about being outnumbered), as well as the Decepticons dropping like flies really pissed me off during my viewing of it. During the show's entire run, I only cared for two Autobots, Arcee (because of her dead partners storyline, which, while not pulled off as well as it could have been, is a nice flipping of the typical male hero's brooding over a female partner's death) and Smokescreen (for injecting some well-needed fun into the Autobots' team). Seriously, I'm 100% a Decepticon girl, but I shouldn't hate nearly all of the Autobots in a show! Speaking of the Decepticons, Soundwave is badass, Knock Out is a treasure, and Starscream....I just feel so bad for him. They turned the poor guy into a joke character instead of going for the vastly superior plot line of him joining the Autobots and being redeemed. Prime just.......leaves a bad taste in my mouth from what could have been.

And as for Rescue Bots.....it looks cute, but I'm just not interested in a show without Decepticons and/or female Transformers.

Whew! That actually got quite long, probably my longest post ever. But anyway, this is my view on the various Transformers animated series.

15. AMG

AMG Old School

Tie between G1 & Beast Wars.

Animated comes in right behind those two.

16. SpinalCord

SpinalCord Banned

So let's continue the facts (that I already mentioned)... nothing from the '90s really had explosive power like Transformers, G.I. Joe, Jem, Stawberry Shortcake, My Little Pony, X-Men, Garbage Pail Kids, ect. ect. Perhaps Batman, Pokémon, and SpongeBob, but even in today's pop-culture whenever something nostalgic is referenced it's from the '80s. It was just a huge decade for marketing, whereas the '90s was more about extreme sports and doing stuff outside. So expecting Beast Wars to be like an '80s phenomenon when nothing else was doing it either IS unfair.
    Then there's the fact that Transformers was no longer an original concept anymore... it's cool factor had worn off. No matter how great a TF show could have been, it was never going to hit G1 success, and STILL hasn't. It's not a new concept anymore. What's propelling the brand today are the movies, and until the first one was released in 2007, nobody had seen anything like it before. Put that with a good script and you have another success. Again, not Beast Wars' fault.
    Lastly (even though it connects to my previous statement), for kids of the '90s, Transformers was their brother's thing... a lot of kids probably didn't watch it because it was a dated concept. We wanted to do our own thing, watch our own shows... I hated the shit my sister liked and talked about from the '80s (she was born in 82, me 88)... not because she's a girl and I'm a boy, but because that shit was OLD (she was obsessed with TMNT). But since I didn't have an older brother, Transformers was a new concept for me.

So I think there are a lot of factors that prevented BW from being a phenomenon. Do I think if there had been no G1 and BW was the start of the franchise, would it have been bigger? I can't say... maybe it would have been less successful without being attached to an already established brand. But ratings and sales do not represent quality, and as you said BW is a better show regardless of how big it was.

17. Shockwave81

Shockwave81 Protecting Cybertron from all hostile threats Moderator

News Credits:
    G1 here. Bite sized adventures and fun in every episode, with a sense that it could have gone on forever. That cartoon sparked my imagination and curiosity more than anything that has come since. Also, Optimus Prime was one of the best role models I could have hoped for - beats my stepfather at the time anyway haha.

BW is a close second for all of the reasons stated above this post.

18. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Animated is the best, followed closely by Beast Wars and Machines.

19. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

they are mostly cartoon though.

20. caecae22

caecae22 Fifth Face of Darkness

Twitter:
    Beast wars is definitely the best show, G1 is my favourite because of nostaligia, and a definite honorable mention to Animated. Prime and Movies i found to be really boring and had too much of a focus on the human characters, and whilst i do like the unicron trilogy it was too gimicky but definitely was enjoyable when it first came out.