Best Star Trek villain in the JJ Abrams series (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Dec 10, 2016.

?

Best Star Trek villain in the JJ Abrams series (Spoilers)

1. Nero (Star Trek 1)

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Khan (ST Into Darkness)

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  3. Admiral Marcus (ST Into Darkness)

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. Krall (ST Beyond)

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Who do you think was the best villain in the new Star Trek films?

NERO
    He's okay.

The way I see it, the main draw of the 2009 film was the time-travel concept, which brought in the villains and a cameo from the glorious Leonard Nimoy. But if you'd removed that concept, we'd have had Nero as a simple villainous Romulan on a war with the Federation, which might have been better and given the Enterprise crew a better means to come together.

KHAN
    Does Benedict Cumberbatch match up to Ricardo Montalban? Well, almost.

Cumberkhan is what Montalkhan would be if he was younger and more active, and maybe didn't have that superblood in him. But then, this was the second Khan-type character to appear after Nero, so that probably didn't help out.

ADMIRAL MARCUS
    He just didn't get enough time. He would have made a great recurring antagonist from what little I saw of him.

KRALL
    A deranged Starfleet captain who was previously a soldier who saw combat, who had gone through war and was assigned to become a Starfleet captain, which he saw as being demoted and abandoned. He was a perfect foil to the heroic Starfleet officer Kirk: someone who lost faith in his job, and sought to make war and take lives to give his life meaning. Idris Elba managed to make him both menacing and tragic in a spectacular way.

I give my vote to Krall. The others aren't too bad, but Krall IMO stands out from them all.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I cast my vote for Admiral Marcus, which I suppose is ironic or something similar since he didn't need to be a villain because what he wanted to achieve wasn't actually evil.

• Like Like x 1
  3. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

I threw my vote at the Admiral too. I think he was the most believable of the 4.

4. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Nero never really grabbed my interest, and while Marcus was well developed, I feel like we needed much more of him. Krall was interesting, but didn't feel as well developed as a character imo.

Personally, I'd have to give it to Khan. He wasn't the most wel developed, but was the most interesting imo. Though I will admit that, even though I had seen Wrath of Khan (and plenty of Star Trek in-general) between seeing the 2009 film (which was my first real exposure to the franchise) and Into Darkness, I have no emotional attachment to TWoK, so the blatant similarites to it's plot in STID coupled with the alterations to Khan's story (which are never explained in the movie) wasn't a turn-off for me like they were to a lot of the Trek fanbase.
    Wait... who was the first?

5. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Yeah I'm with Kirk here... My vote is for Khan from Into Darkness. Benedict Cumberbatch is just that good. I don't even remember much about the motives or events by the other villains.

6. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

My vote goes to Admiral Marcus. He really wasn't that much of a bad guy if you look at things a certain way. He thought it was important to militarize Starfleet in the event of emergency. It isn't bad to be prepared for a disaster, but he just went too far and hurt people.

Khan is in second because of Cumberbatch, and he does push the Enterprise crew to their limits.

Krall's development came too little too late for me. Still, I understood his motivation more than Nero. I think Nero was a terrible villain. I get that losing his planet made him far more irrational and emotional, but it shouldn't have affected his decision making enough to not even consider saving his planet over a twenty year time span. Star Trek 09 mainly succeeded because of the strength of its heroes and a fun sci-fi adventure tone more than anything.

7. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Gotta give it to Khan, simply for being the only well developed one. Nero and Krall, despite having good backstories, just felt so generic in the way they were portrayed and Marcus was really underused. Khan had so much personality. Benedict Cumberbatch just brings such a great screen presence to all of his roles, which combined with the character being such a genetically enhanced bad arse, made him an amazing villain. One part of the writing that helped was that we didn't get to see him captain a ship, or have command of any thugs, so we got to see him doing everything, rather than him just standing around, barking orders.

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

No option for JJ Abrams himself?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

I really wish Admiral Marcus would've said to Kirk "dead or alive, he's coming with me" when he was telling Kirk to turn Kahn over to him.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Although I voted Marcus, this should have been an option.