Best non-Disney animated movies (NO ANIME)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by CastletonSnob, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I've found that Inside Out is (appropriately) a movie of polar divide. If you're not into it, you'll hate it but if you get into it then it will own you.

Yeah, Clone Wars was not the most effective introduction to the series, or the character of Ahsoka. Thankfully I was assured the series was not shit so I stuck around and it became one of my favourite animated shows in recent memory and Ahsoka herself a great highlight - along with all the Clones :p 

2. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    Non anime

Rock and Rule
    Fire and Ice
    Titan AE
    StarChaser the Legend Of Orin
    Heavy Metal

Anime

Vampire Hunter D Blood Lust
    Princess Monokie
    Akira
    Ninja Scroll
    Ghost In The Shell

3. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Yo, Ding Dong man. Ding Dong. Ding Dong, yo.

I don't believe anyone has mentioned Ferngully yet. I used to watch that one all the time.

Another one of my personal favorites: Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie. I thought it did a great job capturing the spirit of the characters (unlike that Jean-Claude Van Damme travesty). The Vega/Chun Li fight is legendary.
    Also, it turns out most of the English dub voice actors were credited under pseudonyms, and I recently discovered Bryan Cranston did the dub voice of Fei Long :) 

I also like the Fatal Fury movie, although it can be slow in parts, overly melodramatic, and has an occasional drop in animation quality. The end battle is great, and I love the credits song.
    OOOOOOOO ANGEL!!!

4. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Sausage puns are the wurst

News Credits:
    I don't care for anime, so I wasn't going to put any here anyway.

The first two Rugrats movies were good, the third one, which was a Wild Thornberrys crossover (of all things) kinda sucked though.
    I think the Recess: Schools Out movie could count, since it was "ordered" by Disney, but wasn't actually produced by them, and isn't included in the "Disney film canon".
    The Madagascar Trilogy
    The first two Ice Age Movies
    If we count movies as "animated cinema at least an hour long": Phineas and Ferb Across the second dimension
    The first Land Before Time

...Just off the top of my head.

5. Christian Prime

Christian Prime SF Ibuki & Makoto Fanboy!

Here's a recent one (from the director of Secret of Kells) that I've watched a week or so and I've enjoyed it. :) 

Also, mentions of Bakshi, but no love for Wizards?

6. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Ah, I forgot the Fleischer films from the 30s/40s. They did the first Superman animated films, which were a main influence on Bruce W Timm, and three Popeye big-budget films which utilized Tabetop animation (combining 2D animation with 3D backgrounds).

Notable mentions are Superman: the Mad Scientist (1941) and Popeye Meets Ali Baba (1937). They're worth a watch, even if by today's standards they may be a bit old.

7. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

the fleischer superman films are the best theatrically released superman films ever made.

even by today's standards, their animation is still better than most of the superman cartoons until the superman animated series in the 90s.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Shame on me for forgetting Rango. Great movie, rewatched it tonight.