Best non-Disney animated movies (NO ANIME)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by CastletonSnob, Jan 4, 2017.

1. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I did say to pretend I listed Don Bluth's entire filmography, so technically Titan AE is already covered ;) 

I thought about mentioning Wizards or Heavy Metal, but... I dunno. Those both have some weak areas that keep me from comfortably ranking them among the very best. Notable... above average... excellent in a few specific areas... but still also kinda flawed. But that's always YMMV. :) 

2. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Secret of nimh is to me one of best. Shame it came out the same day as ET and got crushed! (everyone said et was going to bomb so they thought nimh had it in the bag! M&Ms was going to be used and they didn't want their product in this bomb so they used reese's pieces in it's place! Sales for reese's pieces skyrocketed after the movies release! Et was a blockbuster and nimh got beat badly but did great on VHS!)

Spirited away is one of the best anime movies if you never saw it.

And this one is a classic.

• Like Like x 2
  3. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Yo, Ding Dong man. Ding Dong. Ding Dong, yo.

Ah, I did see that. But doesn't that also include stuff like Rock-a-Doodle, which I haven't seen but I heard was pretty bad?
    And I almost feel guilty for liking Titan AE, seeing as I think it was the movie that ruined Bluth's animation studio.

Yeah, I realized I sprinkled a few personal favs in there. I like Heavy Metal and Wizards, but they're definitely not among the best animated movies ever.

4. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    How to Train Your Dragon the soon-to-be trilogy: aka when DreamWorks decided to do something original for a change and knocked it out of the park.

The Lego Movie aka legitimately one of the best comedies in a long time.

The Iron Giant aka one of the best movies of all time, animated or otherwise

Mask of the Phantasm is also solid, with great voice acting and a better plot than most of the live action Batman movies. I just don't think it's as immediately accessible as the others here.

Edit: Brave Little Toaster!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  5. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

The live-action elements felt a bit off, and the story wasn't too strong, but the production values are still exactly what you'd expect from Don Bluth.
    Not... exactly? Bluth's studio, Sullivan Bluth Studios (Bluth's second, after the Bluth Group went bankrupt in 1984) was actually bankrupted by the commercial failure of Rock-a-Doodle. The studio got funding to complete the other films they already had in production, and then Bluth left to work for Fox Animation Studios. Titan AE was the last nail in that studio's coffin, but they were already struggling, and it wasn't really Bluth's studio. But if you wanna count it since he was still one of the studio's creative heads, then it was his third studio closure.

Long story short, Don Bluth is just really bad at making money. :( 

• Like Like x 1
  6. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Yo, Ding Dong man. Ding Dong. Ding Dong, yo.

It seems it's always the visionaries, the people who try to do things a bit differently, who fail in the entertainment industry because they're not following a tried-and-true moneymaking formula. I always appreciated Bluth's "darker" style when compared to modern Disney; it reminds me of Tim Burton's approach to movies. Jim Henson tried the same thing with puppets in the Dark Crystal and Labyrinth (both of which I love), and those movies failed at the box office because they were just too different from things like The Muppet Show and Sesame Street for the general moviegoing public.

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Loved Shrek 2, it took what I enjoyed about the first Shrek movie and found a way to amp it up for the sequel. Really the only dark mark against Shrek is the studio tried to milk the franchise too many times instead of going out on top.

I'm sure some people will bash me for it but I actually enjoyed Despicable Me. I love super villains and they put a twist on super villains by putting in a really sweet story about some kids looking for a father. It's also before the Minions thing got out of control.

Kubo and the Two Strings this year showed that often times animation has better stories and characters than the big live action films.

Outside of The Killing Joke DC animation has managed some pretty good stuff. It's nice that there animated film department isn't stuck on just one era of comic books so we get the characters in different looks and the ideals of different eras. Also a nice mix of serious to just fun.

Call me weird but I also just really liked Flushed Away. It's kind of a strange film but strange in a good way.

8. Galvatross

Galvatross Dreklord of Ogremarr Veteran

I just saw that for the first time in two decades a little while back. It is a classic!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

not sure if they are the best animated films ever, but my favorite are;
    batman mask of the phantasm, transformers the movie, and, rainbow brite and the star stealers. with All Dogs Go to Heaven being not only my favorite animated film, but also, my all time favorite film ever. if i have to say which one is the best, it is without a doubt going to be going to be Secret of Nimh. it's beautifully animated, and it is masterfully voice acted.

and; unsure if it counts, since it is made with puppetry, which is also a form of animation; The Dark Crystal. these films make up my all time favorite films. most of my favorite films are animated. there are only a few that are not, like return to oz. which also features some amazing animated effects.

10. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Internet Soldier

News Credits:
    From the Brothers Warner, Lego Movie, and the Iron Giant. From parts unknown, Girl who leapt through time, and Summer wars.

11. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I was also thinking that "Flight of Dragons" was pretty spectacular. For those who enjoy fantasy and dragons, as well as 80's drawn animation its a blast.

The Flight of Dragons - Wikipedia

Plus James Earl Jones provides his voice!

12. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah it's in the same style as the hobbit animated film.

Fun film.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Transformers The Movie
    Star Wars: Clone Wars
    Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

14. Venixion

Venixion Evil Dust Bunny-con

News Credits:

I adore Flight of Dragons!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Protector of Ed-Land

My favorites are Shrek and Shrek 2. Shrek is a founding father in CGI animated films and is full of good jokes, a fun cast of characters and some nice spoofs. I once thought of Shrek 2 as being better than the first, but that is changing. It still is a great and fairly natural follow-up to the developments in the first movie along with having a good story/jokes/etc, making it one of the best sequels.

Kung Fu Panda and its first sequel also qualify in my book. It's Shrek, Kung Fu Panda and How to Train Your Dragon that started my preference of DreamWorks over Disney (though, things are pretty shaky at the moment in that regard; lately, there hasn't been a single animated movie I have been interested in from either party but Inside Out does sound like something I'd enjoy.)

16. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

Batman Mask of the Phantasm
    The Transformers: The Movie
    Star Wars: The Clone Wars

17. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

You just beat me.

18. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Transformers: The Movie ('86)
    the first 2 Shrek movies
    Ice Age

19. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ignore Clone Wars. It makes The Phantom Menace look like Amadeus.

20. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    The tv series was good, but the movie that kicked it off was pretty terrible.

• Like Like x 1