Best Megatron design

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by KeatonBale, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motorthing

motorthing We woz robbed

News Credits:
    G1 Megs has the sentiment but he wasn't even the coolest Gun-robo for crying out loud. Why the feck Hasbro picked that one to be the Big-bad was a bit beyond me. Yeah they "fixed" him for the cartoon but as a Toy even Soundwave looked way more menacing.

The G2 Megs may have had a crap storyline but he was a big Fuck-off tank and apart from Trident Missilez NOTHING spells walking/rolling death like a Tank.

That Car Robots Megs was pretty damn cool too....he did look appropriately scary.

2. Ghilz

Ghilz Derpticon

Not only that but Soundwave has the perk of having his head as the Decepticon logo. Honestly, in G1, Shockwave, Starscream and Soundwave would've all made better models for the leader of the decepticons.

3. Wars

Wars I Ate The WHOLE Plate

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    IDW Stealth Bomber Megatron is a great design. It's sleek and agile, and still evokes power. Definitely my favourite of all.

Second favourite would probably be Animated. Just an all round great design, and takes some great cues from different generations, as well as a unique alternate mode.

Third would have to go to Revenge of the Fallen. While his vehicle mode wasn't the best of them, his robot mode design was great, bulky and powerful.

4. One

One Well-Known Member

Beast Wars, Prime.

5. darkunor

darkunor Banned

G1 Megatron all the way, he's the only one getting the masterpiece treatment, the rest simply don't matter!

6. motorthing

motorthing We woz robbed

News Credits:
    Agreed. Loved as it is (by me too...) not everything in G1 was fantastic, or even made sense......

7. Una

Una Well-Known Member

I have to say Beast Era Megatron. :D 

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    TFA Megatron, followed by the IDW Shadow Blade, Cybertron and BW versions.

9. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    It's weird to me how the gun mode gets all the worst toys.

I love my G1 toys but G1 Megatron always looked like crap to me. His MP is utter grabage too and Classic just looks horrible in that paint scheme.

Henkei kinda pulled it off better but I still wish that the wings were handeled a little better.

To me G1 Shockwave is still the best gun-bot toy out there and I really want a proper G1 MP Megatron so I can put him with my Quackewave and the rest of the Decepticon MP's.

10. MC Rap Throne

MC Rap Throne Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't get me wrong, I agree with the G1 toy being a piece of crap. Not a total piece of crap, since the transformation was the coolest amongst G1 toys. I have hopes for MP Megatron V2, though.

I feel bad for Megatron. At some point Hasbro will make him turn into a building, because they just can't find him a proper alt mode. Nothing really worked - helicopter, tank, space soap dish, space whatever, nerf gun, truck. That's why I stick with the gun mode, IMO it's iconic as the truck mode for Prime.

BW Megatron is great, but since he technically isn't Megatron I'm not counting on him. I know it was part of the story and everything, I just can't help but think that taking a t-rex/dragon and turn him into a giant head was very stupid.

11. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

An obsolete vintage WWII pistol. Wow impressive *snort*

Tank Megatron all the way. 60 tons of steel and a giant gun are more impressive that something that stopped being used after WWII.

12. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Megatron seems to have settled on jets lately. He started TFA and the Movies as one, had a jet as part of his ensemble in RiD, could fly in ROTF despite being mostly a tank and is one in TFP. So I'd be willing to bet some kind of jet/flying form is his go-to mode.

13. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    I'm all for flying Megatron altmode but that flying altmode need to be something interesing.

Not a plane since that's Starscream's shtick (as much as I like the bomber Megatron) and not an alien monstrosity that doesn't look like anything a la movie/prime but something that stands out in the sky. That's why I feel osprey works so well for him.

But even then for a more classic looking Megatron I still say tank all the way. Give him a bigass in-built jetpack so he can fly in robot mode and I'm all for it. Sure it's a bit generic but there really aren't as many tank Decepticons as there should be!

That's why I love Stormbringer Megatron so much. Have the tank treads on his back transform and double as rocket boosters in bot mode and give him the black helmet like in the Marvel comics and it's as perfect as Megatron can get imo.

14. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:

I dunno about that. It might've worked. Soundwave is the better toy and more iconic, but I find there's a benign detachment to it. There isn't the cruelty of Megatron, whose toy just looks like a dangerous little psychopath tyrant.

That's one aspect of the movies I've really come around to. I just think it works.

Prior to this I was very much in the G2 camp where I figured a tank was the logical way to resolve all the mass-shifting and other issues of the handgun.

But some silver/gun-metal flying thing works for me. Ideally it should be as well designed as possible, and just have an aura of power. I think there's a lot of strength in retaining the black and red accents of the G1 colour scheme. This isn't vital, but does go a long way to making a design that much more Megatron.

15. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

16. NathanS

NathanS Well-Known Member

17. darkunor

darkunor Banned

^Left to you alone everything in transformers would be a fucking tank, cybertron included. They are as ugly and generic as hell!

I agree with what you've said, the gun mode is easily as iconic as prime's flat nose truck in my opinion, love or loathe, it seems to be the one that has made the most impression on people whether they'd like to believe it or not.

Like I've said before, what I like about the design/gun mode was that it made him stand out, it made him unique among his decepticons, among all other TFs for that matter, as he was the only one able to turn into a gun until the arrival of sixshot and the target masters, of course. I personally thought his alt-mode and Galvatron's alt-modes were awesome for this uniqueness they had amongst all other TFs.

And everytime I hear about how silly the gun thing is.... I dunno....I think the argument supporting it in itself is silly? So let me get this straight, the same ilk that complain about mass shifting ie Megatron's alt mode are okay in believing a whole bunch of alien sentient robots can come from outer space and are given life by some mystical, magical, unknown entity such as the all-spark in some fictions? Because.... that is more plausible/believable than one of them defying some laws of physics??????? If that isn't the worst case of hypocrisy, I dont know what is?

IMO, if you have have a problem with the gun mode, the whole concept of the transformers should be ridiculous to you as well. Everytime I hear this gun mode debate I'm taken back to Game of thrones TV show where Melissandre is given green eyes instead of the red eyes she has in the book to make her appear more human/realistic. Yet the same person gives birth to a shadow, in the same show there are fire breathing dragons, men that can make multiple amounts of themselves but yet a woman having red eyes, the same one that gives birth to a shadow, is somewhat unbelievable????:lol 

18. NathanS

Are, are you talking to me? I was just saying that if you show someone a picture of a ISU-152 and ask them what it is most are going to say "a tank."

Nice bit of mind reading! For your next trick why not tell me my first cat's name?

Most of the "I don't like the gun-mod" isn't about the mass shifting, though for some that might contribute to it, it tends more to be along the lines of "Man a small hand gun is wimpy and having the leader need to be held to use his alt-mode is kind of lame."

19. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Legends Game Megatron. It's exactly what G1 Megatron should have been from day one, or at least what he should have been retro-conned to be via Classics onward.

Other than that, my vote stays the same: War Within, Stormbringer and Animated

20. NathanS

Also indirect fire doesn't seem very Megatron, outside of maybe BW Megs. And if it shoots direct fire then functionally it is a tank.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.