Best live-action Sherlock Holmes?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Sep 20, 2012.

?

Best live-action Sherlock Holmes?

1. Basil Rathbone

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  2. Jeremy Brett

9 vote(s)
    18.4%
  3. Robert Downey Jr

22 vote(s)
    44.9%
  4. Benedict Cumberbatch

13 vote(s)
    26.5%
  1. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    :thumbs2:  The Great Mouse Detective was fantastic.

2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yes, but he wasn't Sherlock, Basil, lived at 221b,(or being a mouse squatted) and listened to Sherlock talking to Watson and took notes. They show sherlock's feet a lot in the movie.

3. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I told my friend (who is a big Sherlock Holmes fan) about this discussion, and since I really didn't have anything worthwhile to post, I figured I'd post his thoughts.

"...my opinion of the best Holmes depends on the criteria:

As to the best straight adaptation I think you have to give it to Brett, he practically WAS Holmes.

As for best series I'd have to say Cumberbatch's modern day "Sherlock" edges Brett's adaptations by a hair simply because I think the degree of difficulty in modernizing the character is greater than simply filming the books. Mind you this in this scenario a metaphorical gun is to my head, I have only the highest praise for both shows.

RDJ gets best film version and I really liked the way Ritchie explored a different side of Holme's character.

The only one I really have issue with Rathbone's simply because Watson was portrayed as an idiot (a tag that has stuck ever since in the mind of popular culture)."

4. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

Love this, 'cause I hate Watson being portrayed as an idiot. If you have to make Watson stupid to help Holmes look even smarter, you're doing it wrong. Watson is no fool, it's just that Holmes has an extraordinary intellect.

Brett was a fantastic Holmes, and I think probably the most accurate overall to the books.

That said, I do enjoy the RDJ Holmes movies and definitely agree some of Holmes' traits emphasized in them were things sometimes looked over in the books. Law's Watson I think I love even more than RDJ Holmes - he's freakin' fabulous. He's my favorite Watson of all the adaptations I've seen so far.

I really, really need to watch the 'Sherlock' tv series. I know I would love it.

5. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

DO IT! Do you have Netflix?

I just wish it was a real, full-length series, and not a mini-series... :( 

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I do like the Sherlock tv series a lot, but do have a couple problems with it. I didn't like the way Watson so immediately and completely got over his "war wound". Just a little too pat. And sometimes the show can sacrifice plot for the sake of "cute". But overall, it's a fun show.

7. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    I've only just recently gotten to watching Sherlock and I absolutely love it

I need more. Much more!

(And cuz I'm on such a kick from watching the show I finally got myself to get the two RDJ movies on blue ray. Eeee!)

And geez, I saw someone mention the great mouse detective?? Man I have seen that in aaaages! Now I need to track that down!