Best G1 Predaking Reissue?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by lazerface, Nov 1, 2016.

1. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had 4 of the Predacons back in the day, but was always missing Divebomb and most of the parts needed to form Predaking.

I bought the 2013 Predaking Platinum reissue a couple years ago. It is cool for the price, but I am not really crazy about the gold repaint, and the plastic feels a lot cheaper than my originals.

I know there are several other reissues of Predaking out there. I would like one that has these features.

1.) Original Red, Orange, Black and Yellow colors.
    2.) Diecast metal parts on all figures.
    3.) Plastic quality on par with the original 80s version.

I'd consider an all plastic version that has the original colors also. I am just not sure which reissues to look at. Can anyone break down the various reissues for me? Thanks!

2. Blot

Blot Terrorcon Foot Soldier

News Credits:
    The only one I know that has the original colors and diecast is the 2004 Takara reissue. I actually picked one up recently for about $120 shipped (box was a little beat up, but the figures were mint, stickers unapplied, weapons never unsealed, all paperwork, etc.). I've never handled an original, but the plastic seems good to me (it's not swirly like the other reissues). I highly recommend it.

3. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    The 2004 Takara reissue is the best IMHO. That one has the diecast, the G1 coloring, the accessories and collector cards, it has everything you could want. I still have mine and I totally love it.

I still remember when I purchased that set at a convention, I remember that it felt pretty awesome that I got to walk around carrying the giftset like a briefcase. It was glorious, it was the most I had spent on a Transformer at that point and I still have zero regrets. I think I got it for around 160 or so back then.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with this.

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    The 2004 set is what you want but it is not likely to come cheap.

I own the 2010 takara reissues with gold in place of the yellow. Great set.

6. Dachande

Dachande Very Hank. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The 2004 set is definitely the way to go. I got mine from someone getting out of the hobby for about $80, and it was one of the best purchases ever.
    The Platinum set just doesn't look right to me. Especially since it comes with a TF Prime sword.

7. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
  8. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks everyone! So is this correct? Are there any other reissues?

1.) 2004 Takara D-78 Reissue - Original colors. Diecast metal parts. Plastic quality same as original?
    2.) 2010 Takara Reissue - Yellow repainted as Gold. Diecast metal parts.
    3.) 2013 Platinum Reissue - Yellow repainted as Gold. Diecast metal parts. Plastic cheaper than original.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  9. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

honestly, if you plan to keep it assembled, avoid the diecast ones. as all that weight just makes it way too top heavy, making the whole thing sloop one way or another. it also makes it harder to keep together too.

but at this point, the hasbro reissue is probably your best bet. $99 shipped at amazon.

10. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have the 2004 version and I like it a lot.

11. poisoncow

poisoncow ....

I have an original and the platinum release. The platinum definitely feels significantly lower in quality in regards to the plastic in weight and density. I like the gold they added but only as a supliment piece to the original I have. I paid $80 for the platinum one which I think is well worth it at that cost. You can find originals for less than $200 though.

If you want to spend a bit less grab the platinum. It's still quite good. If the original is a 10 the platinums a solid 7. I have both and display both proudly.