Best decade for animated action on TV

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hotshotprime43, Aug 26, 2016.

?

Best decade for animated action shows

1. 1960s

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1970s

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1980s

23 vote(s)
    37.7%
  4. 1990s

21 vote(s)
    34.4%
  5. 2000s

11 vote(s)
    18.0%
  6. 2010s (Up to now)

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

Well after killing some time thinking about random crap I was thinking about the TV shows that where on as a kid that where either superhero shows(Teen Titans/Justice League), anime (Naruto/Yu-Gi-Oh), or just anything with action pretty much (Transformers Energon lol). Also shows the where over but I was able to watch with reruns (Spiderman TAS) or that I eventually found online (G1). Now out of the decades which one had the best shows for action. Shows that boys would want to watch from basically age 5-15. Then can be cartoons or animes. So Dragon Ball is fair game and even more comedic shows like Danny Phantom can count. I am going to let the nostalgia googles blind me and pick the 2000s. I had Justice League, Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003, Static Shock, Batman The Brave and the Bold, Transformers Armada, The Clone Wars, Ben 10, and Teen Titans spanning across the decade for some pretty awesome memories.

2. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Around the 80s and 90s I think. That was when action cartoons started out and gained popularity. A great part of this was toy-based cartoons, (GI Joe, Transformers, He-Man), comic book cartoons (X-Men 92, Batman 91) and anime shows (DBZ, Sailor Moon, YuYu Hakusho).

3. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Internet Soldier

News Credits:
    10's. Sym-Bionic Titan, Young Justice, Green Lantern TAS, JoJo's, Star wars Rebels and Korra just to name a few, which is accurate cause it is a few. That's the big con to the 10's there's a small amount of US action cartoons, but they are usually quiiiiite good.

4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    '80s-'90s. But if I have to pick only one, I guess the 1980s.

In the US, there was TF, Joe, Thundercats, Duck Tales, Galaxy Rangers, Inhumanoids, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Mysterious Cities of Gold, Bionic 6, Voltron, Robotech, Star Blazers, MASK, He-Man...

And in Japan, there was Z Gundam, Gundam ZZ, Galaxy Express 999, GoShogun, Space Adventure Cobra, Fist of the North Star, Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Macross, Mospeada, Cat's Eye, City Hunter, Kinnikuman, Votoms, Orguss, Vifam, Dunbine, L-Gaim, Lupin III, Godmars, Queen Millenia, Masterforce and Victory, Patlabor, Ironman 28, Gatchaman F, and probably more I'm forgetting.

The 1990s had the DCAU, which was great, but in no way counterbalances all that '80s stuff on its own. There's some great anime from the 1990s -- the already mentioned YuYu Hakusho being one standout -- but the anime bubble burst during the 1990s and the industry began its decline.

The 1980s was the pinnacle of adventure anime in Japan -- the decade when the industry was at its most healthy and most prolific (almost a glut) -- and Japan being the adventure cartoon capital of the world, so 1980s would have to be my choice.

5. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    1980s.

6. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I want to say the 10's because 90% of the ones I've seen have been no less than awesome. However, 75% of that 90% got cancelled or is already over.

I'm going to go with the 2000's. They really seemed to flourish then. Avatar: The Last Airbender opened the door for so many of them, and it is my second favorite animated show to this day. Danny Phantom was great. The Clone Wars started near the end of the decade. Tartakovsky's Clone Wars shorts also occurred in that decade. Speaking of him, that's when Samurai Jack started. Digimon is technically an anime, but I'm still going to count it because it is an animated series with a lot of action in it, and it had a good storyline with an interesting world. It's the decade that gave us Justice League and JLU. The original Teen Titans was great and had a lot of heart. Ben 10 became a thing in that decade with two pretty good sci-fi shows that grew up a bit with the audience. Wolverine and the X-Men was good in its short run as well as X-Men: Evolution. I also liked Iron Man: Armoured Adventures for what it was. Spectacular Spider-Man is the best Spider-Man show ever too, and it's such a shame it was cancelled.

7. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    90s. Art style was at it's best, before being enhanced or replaced with cgi and stories were better than in the 80s. Second place is 80s.

8. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The '90s. Just for BTAS. It destroys all comers.

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    lol why would anime not count?

10. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

It's just that they never really get brought up in the action cartoon argument even though that's what most of them are. I only counted that in particular because I assume we are just talking about shows aimed at a family audience.

11. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I tend to watch cartoons from different decades. From what I've seen, I'm going with 90's-00's. So many great shows came from that era and the animation was great.

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    The OP listed anime himself, and anime is just short for "animation". Almost all tv anime is aimed at a family audience anyway, even if Japanese standards of acceptability are a little different than Western.

13. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma Imagine Breaker TFW2005 Supporter

80's

TF
    Space Battleship Yamato (star blazers)
    Macross (Robotech)
    Mask
    Pole Position (great theme song)
    Danger Mouse
    Space Ghost (I know this is from the 60s but new episodes where made in the 80s)
    Herculoids
    Thundercats
    Voltron
    Thundercats
    Battle of the Planets (ran from the late 70s to 80s)

and this is just a short list of what I remember watching

14. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    80's win just by seer number of shows.

15. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

80s, duh :)  Lesee (from what series I've watched)...

Snorks
    Transformers
    Kidd Video (wow, I guess I'm the only one who remembers that cartoon :lol  )
    Voltron
    G.I. Joe (Sunbow)
    TMNT
    He-Man
    She-Ra
    Dino-Riders
    Smurfs
    M.A.S.K.
    Pole Position
    Silverhawks
    Dungeons & Dragons
    C.O.P.S. (gotta love the "It's crime fightin' time!")
    Robocop
    Real Ghostbusters
    Inspector Gadget

16. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy3RTFFhSYs
    some of the missing ones
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoRFUBGTaTQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZngB7_SDfik
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdtcK1Qs2K4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH7Ly0T040w
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCqQ_pUz-58
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgN0g4vqYMg

Really just too many to post
    Mr. T
    Alvin and the Chipmunks
    Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
    Bucky O'Hare
    Captain N
    Cops
    David the Gnome
    Dinosaucers
    Galaxy High
    Kidd Video
    Galtar
    Gobots
    Hulk Hogan's Rocking Wrestling
    Laser Tag Academy
    Super Mario Super Show (stayed until mid 90's but started in late 80's)
    The Littles
    The Little Prince
    My Little Pony
    Rainbow Bright
    Care Bears
    Pole Position
    Robotech
    Sectaurs
    He-man
    She-ra
    Sky Commanders
    Spiral Zone
    Thundarr
    Tigersharks
    Voltron

I'm sure I've left some out
    There were 4 networks showing cartoons in the afternoon and the weekend all competing for air time.
    Toy companies were making decent money and were releasing these to sell their products
    The air was flooded with action shows. And unlike today every half hour was a different show, there were no marathons or blocks of episodes like today.

17. GuardianAngel87

GuardianAngel87 Well-Known Member

Easily the 90's and and the 00's.

18. Slingshot

Slingshot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For Anime, the 90's were the best. The quality and coloring made anime look darker, even if it wasn't meant to. Berserk and NGE really benefited from this.
    For cartoons, 1984 - 1991. You've got G.I. Joe and Transformers to name a few.

19. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    I'm absolutely loving the '10's on the Western side of things. Steven Universe, MLP:FIM, Young Justice, Bob's Burgers, the brief Thundercats revival, Rick and Morty, The Looney Tunes Show, Gumball, etc. However, this decade, I've found the Eastern side of animation to be really lacking, relying far too much on visuals than any interesting stories or gut shaking humor (Not to say there aren't great anime these days, but I'm finding myself watching a lot less out of general disinterest in what's popular in anime culture these days)

So I'm saying the '00's. Avatar, Transformers: Animated, Spirited Away, Digimon Tamers, the 3rd(?) Cyborg 009 anime, the slew of classic Nicktoons from the era (My Life as a Teenage Robot, Invader Zim, etc), Gurren Lagann, Class of 3000, Foster's Home, Total Drama Island (And only Island), YuYu Hakusho (I'm listing it because it aired in the US a decade after it was technically made), Great Teacher Onizuka (Which I found out was also technically 90's. Localization makes things difficult for this list...), Ghost in the Shell, as well as countless classics. The rise of fansubbing during this era also made a lot of anime more readily available than what was being licensed.

20. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

I've got to say the 2000s. It had both Clone Wars cartoons (even if only the beginning of the second), Justice League, JL Unlimited, Avatar the Last Airbender (perhaps the best cartoon ever) and both Beast Machines, and TF Animated (two of the best TF shows ever). IMO, that decade easily had the most quality cartoons of pure action.

The 80s had a lot of fun cartoons, but I didn't grow up in that time, and their lack of quality makes them hard to watch without nostalgia for them.

The 90s had Batman TAS, Beast Wars, and the 94 Spiderman cartoon (Loved it as a kid, haven't seen it since) but I was only born towards the end of the decade, and don't remember many other action shows from then. Chances are, if I was more familiar with the decade, I might've picked it.

The 2010s have two great cartoons in Gravity Falls, and Steven Universe, but the former is more of a sitcom, and the latter is more of... I guess a soap opera. They have tons of actions, but it's not always the primary focus. That only leaves Korra, Star Wars Rebels, and maybe Voltron Universal Defender in my mind, for truly good action shows. There was Tron, and Thundercats 2011 but they got canceled after one season each.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016