Best Constructicons (not the best Devastator)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Zentropy, Nov 16, 2020.

?

What is the best 3P Constructicon team?

1. GT Gravity Builder

21 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. TW Constructor

28 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. TFC Hercules

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. MT Green Giant

5 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. A KO not shown here (please specify in comments)

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. Other 3P brand not shown here (please specify in comments)

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

The Damned Flatlands. (I need mountains!)
    Ok, hear me out, because it's an odd but specific question. Who makes the best MP-style Constructicons? I'm a fan of the individual Constructicon characters-- I loved playing with their figures as a kid-- but have zero interest in the gestalt mode. So, the appearance, articulation, stability, etc. of the combined team as Devastator means nothing to me. I don't care at all and likely wouldn't ever combine them even out of curiosity.

I'm interested mostly in the quality/articulation of the individual figures, and I'm biased towards ones that most resemble a "deluxe" version of the original toys (though not to the exclusion of quality). I don't collect for cartoon accuracy (in fact, I avoid it), so the more toy detail, the better.

Which would you recommend, and why? I've thrown in ones here that I know of, but there may be more about which I'm unaware. (I apologize in advance if this has been asked before, but all I could find are opinions about "Devastator", not the component figures themselves.)

• Like Like x 1
  2. MilanX3

MilanX3 Well-Known Member

The KO reduced sized version of the Hasbro/Takara Combiner Wars version is quite nice...made in Green and Yellow to date. They reduced them to be Deluxe sized, but its a copy of the Titans version. Not too pricey either...just wish it came with the Construction pistols. A 3P company made a set of pistols and upgrade parts for the foot of the original Combiner Wars release..I always thought the pistols of the original G1 Constructicons and Stunticons were a nice touch. For having the individual 6 displayed, pistols are a must.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Huktonfonix

Huktonfonix Well-Known Member

If you want simple and easy to play with you can also argue for hulkie and the various kos as well as the previously mentioned downsized cw pne

4. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

I think if I weren't collecting Masterpiece-style figures, those would be great choices (especially for the budget). But my intention would be to display the individual Constructicons alongside my MP figures, and those wouldn't really fit in.

I'm impressed with many of the Earthrise figures, but I'm not buying them because they don't match the theme of my collection... and I can't buy everything!

5. Masimoed

Masimoed Well-Known Member

It depends on what you want for scale. I have Toyworld, as my collection is MP Scaled and they are the most toon accurate. If you are looking for more of a toy representation I think the Hasbro/Takara ones they put out aren't bad. I don't see that on your list above, I think the Takara Unite Warriors one is the better of the two versions.

For me no company has hit the mark with the Constructicons yet. Here's a crazy idea, how would everyone feel about a set of Constructicons that don't form Devastator, just bot/alt modes? I feel like with every combiner there have to be compromises to make the combined mode. Either the bots look really good and the combined mode suffers or vice versa. Maybe a company could do just the bots/alts and put out a separate combiner that is nicely articulated?

• Like Like x 1
  6. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Constructor is pretty much the only MP style devastator out there, and so are his bots. The rest are mostly Chugs either upscaled or downscaled.
    The fact that you dont care about cartoon accuracy also helps, because certain bots are deviating too much (I Hate that IDW head on Hook, HATE IT TO DEATH).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe Is it...Safe???

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I display the TW Constructicons with my MP Decepticons. They are the best so far, but I suspect that the true "best choice" hasn't been made yet. Hopefully Takara will look into them after they finish Raiden, or else Fanstoys will finally get to it (they've been teased since forever as a silhouette only). TW Constructor also has the benefit of being fairly toy-inspired, which if I'm not mistaken is your aesthetic preference (I'd actually prefer a more toon look and would consider the original Unite Warriors set to be good MP stand-ins for cartoon lovers although not quite up to the quality. To be fair, Toyworld/ZETA isn't quite up to MP standards either, lacking paint, plastic quality and a certain Je ne sais quoi that is better captured by TT, FT or XTB).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

Based solely on images, I was leaning towards TW, though I've never owned anything made by them. They remind me the most of the original toy designs, though some of the face sculpts are a bit... expressive. I think the GT figures look pretty good too, but take too many liberties with design, deviating from what I liked about the originals. Besides, the only Generation Toy figure I've ever bought (Bulance) looks fantastic in both modes but I hate messing with it, so I doubt I'll go down that road again.

• Like Like x 1
  9. pilot00

Νοt completely true. Plastic quality on constructor has been up to debate, but the consensus has been that the first versions suffered from been too 'sensitive' up to a certain level it got normal. Mine (the so called "Metallic" version) is on the exact opposite spectrum: It was reinforced so much that it caused tolerance issues....

Ever since the advent of Zeta, I havent heard many if any complaints.

The big problem with Constructor right now is, that the prices have skyrocketed, almost doubled, and I am not aware if a....'correct' (that is somekind of green) variant is on the market-retail.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

I too think that the combining ability compromises design, and that individual Constructicons could be considerably better stand-alone figures if they didn't have to accommodate that function. However, my experience is that most people collect these for Devastator, not the team itself. Me, I have three of the five X Transbots Stunticons because I like the individual bots, but have no intention of completing the set. One in particular (not-Deathwish) is handicapped by his required limb mode-- all would be better IMO if they weren't designed to combine. But, I realize that's the whole point for many collectors.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AndreyOfDoom

AndreyOfDoom maximize

News Credits:
    Honestly the Hastak unite warriors ones look pretty accurate besides long haul to be. TW don't look as soon accurate with the latest toon MPs

• Like Like x 1
  12. pilot00

Spot on. Constructor as a whole is way better as a figure than the sum of his parts. I think thats a given and you will hardly find any who would disagree with that. Not that they are bad figures, but as you said, the combined mode comes first.

Personally I like them (Hook been the exception, he is my favorite Constructicon but I dislike that headsculpt), even though they were not designed as a priority (bot mode). Alt modes are also superb IMHO. The team also has one of the best, if not the best LangHaul (aesthetics wise, because he does have a problem). Most are monstrously designed in order to accommodate the gestalt mode, but thankfully Constructor is a parts former.

51710884_384239442127139_6845834607447769088_n.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  13. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    Honestly? I have Constructor, whose individual Constructicons do look good in an MP setup... but I use the official Takara Constructicons as my individual MP Constructicons. With the exception of Long Haul, they look WAY more like the show than any other versions currently available, and they solve the Hasbro version's articulation issues and lack of individual weapons. And as an added bonus, they do combine (though I know you don't really care about that), and the combined mode IS rather nice... nice enough to serve as a passable MP Devvy in its own right. (From what I understand, its designer used a bunch of ideas that he'd originally developed for an MP Devastator he was trying to pitch)

(If you're looking for this set, I have an extra one available)

14. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

Takara's Unite Warriors Devastator is no doubt a nice effort, but the prices for it are ridiculous now. It doesn't work for me regardless, though, because it leans heavily to the cartoon-accurate end of the spectrum, and it's way too CHUGy. Ideally, my Constructicons would have a design aesthetic similar to, say, MP-10, MP-11, or Ocular Max Girder, rather than MP-44, MP-52, or MP-35. Honestly, I don't think what I want yet exists. But if it ever does, it won't be the likes of FT that makes them (too cartoony)-- maybe XTB or MMC, if they decided to jump into that crowded ring.

• Like Like x 1
  15. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    None right now at MP scale. Awaiting Fans Toys to see if they pull off really nice Constructicons.

For Devastator at MP scale the answer is easily Toyworld, though if FT can pull off a solid combined form, they could take that crown as well.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

Yeah, Fanstoys does some fantastic engineering and sculpt work. It's a shame that most of their designs are too cartoony for my preferences. I may break my rule and get their upcoming Trailbreaker, though.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    I think toy world is probably the closest out of what exists to what you're describing, and frankly the closest thing that's likely to exist since as you mentioned further attempts at the Constructicons are likely to go even more cartoon accurate. They definitely are supposed to be the cartoon Constructicons but embodied in a more detailed and realistic way, much like the mp10 era figures. The vehicles are like realistic cartoon Vehicles if that makes any sense, for instance how Bonecrusher and scavenger have working treads even though they have kind of funny looking cabins and hook has a detailed, functional crane arm. If you can find a set at an affordable price I would say go for it. I wish I had bought another Constructor when they were still available for less than $400

• Like Like x 1
  18. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

They don't exist yet, sadly.

19. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

Can anyone comment on the Jinbao KO of Gravity Builder? The figures aren't exactly accurate to the originals, but I like the details on them, and the alt modes look great. Any first-hand opinions on the quality? The savings compared to a legit Gravity Builder or Constructor make it very tempting.

20. xueyue2

xueyue2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think they are perfect for the price.
    Each robot looks very MP like, even scale wise, and they do give me the premium feeling while each figure only cause $25...

And vehicle mode also great with details.

Once combined + add-on kit, it's almost same size as Zeta combiners.

You can see some member comparison here, note the smaller one on the right are actually TW.

KO OS GT Gravity Builder (Devastator)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 5