Best adaptation of an Alan Moore comic?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Dec 11, 2012.

?

Best adaptation of an Alan Moore comic?

1. From Hell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Constantine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. V for Vendetta

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. Watchmen

14 vote(s)
    70.0%
  1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Which do you think is the best film based on an Alan Moore comic?
    Category:Films based on works by Alan Moore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I’d have to say WATCHMEN. LXG is a guilty pleasure because of my love of Sean Connery and steampunk, and V was a work of great value and veracity, but WATCHMEN is a masterwork. It is the closest we can get to the award-winning graphic novel, which not only featured spectacular artwork and visuals, but also told a splendid and gripping story. Even to those not aware of the comic, by itself it is a fascinating film, incredibly detailed (no expense was spared to construct the alternate 1980s era) and with distinct and compelling characters (the Comedian, Rorschach and Ozymandias who make the list of the most interesting heroes ever).
    WATCHMEN San Diego Comicon footage! - YouTube

I have no doubt that Snyder’s handling of the subject matter – which was deemed by Moore himself as unfilmable – was what got him the Superman film.

2. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

V for Vendetta

3. GuardianAngel87

GuardianAngel87 Well-Known Member

Watchmen. For me, it's no contest.

4. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

well, i'm a rabid watchmen fanboy, so....

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I thought V came off best.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Watchmen.

7. gregles

gregles quintesson

Watchman was way more accurate which is probably what we wanted going into this but to me it just didn't add anything new or original to the story as you may as well just read the comic's instead as you get the sophisticated dual narratives with the tales of the black freighter and the brilliant articles.

V for Vendetta wasn't perfect but it felt more like its own film witch wasn't scared of its source material and took some risks with it which I think payed off.

If the league of extraordinary gentlemen through some miracle wins the pole I'm rage quitting the internet

8. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Watchman is a pretty faithful adaptation of Dave Gibbons' Watchman, but any and all lifeblood of Alan Moore has been sucked out of the work. The movie is a complete bastardization of the greatest graphic novel ever written.

V for Vendetta takes its shares of liberties, but the vibe and feel of the original work shines through. It's the only movie based on Alan Moore that feels like Alan Moore.

9. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

I'm gonna go with V.

I never saw the watchmen movie, but heard it was terrible.

I kinda enjoyed Constantine, but I also wouldn't call it a good movie.

League was garbage. I still don't get why that film got made.

Don't remember all that much of From Hell...I think I probably thought it was borring.

10. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Watchmen. It was a faithful adaptation of the original story, handled all of the original themes very well and, IMO, actually improved the ending by removing the alien squid thing.

As for the others, I hated V For Vendetta. It felt like the people who made the film just read a plot summary of the graphic novel, decided it had some vague connects to the "George Bush teh suk!!" movie they wanted to make and ignored any of the original themes that didn't fit what they wanted to write. Hugo Weaving did a good job with what he had to work with, though. Constantine and LoEG also missed all but the basic premise of the source material, but at least they weren't being used as a vehicle for the political views of the filmmakers and they were enjoyable enough action flicks. Haven't seen From Hell, so can't comment on that one.

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    One thing I have to say, movie Evey Hammond was a drastic improvement over the comic character. Suspension of disbelief is one thing, but the idea that such an uneducated, all-around dumb prostitute could even grasp the concepts V was espousing -- much less carry on with them herself -- was almost story-breaking. Much better to have her start off being educated, intelligent and thoughtful.

12. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    V for Vendetta

13. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I actually like Watchmen more than the graphic novel and I thought it successfully conveyed all of its themes very well. V for Vendetta is a close second.