Best accurate Mirage, Sphinx or Invisible?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by gollum6974, Apr 6, 2016.

1. gollum6974

gollum6974 Extreme Collector!

I bought 2 Invisibles when they came out as filler for a MP Mirage, I recently Just bought 2 Sphinx's because he just LOOKED nice. My Topic question is, I need help deciding which is more scale and toon accurate? Give me all opinions, There isn't enough room on my Mirage shelf for both, so which is more accurate, BY accurate I mean, color, face, size, HAIR,BUTT,ATTITUDE, IS HE CRAZY, ON DRUGS..........WAIT, wait, stop at size Its Mirage not my Ex-Wife. lol Just ...give me the skinny on which of the 2 is more accurate. Geeze.. I am messed up! lol:p 

ALL OPINIONS WELCOME...I HAVENT RECIEVED MY SPHINX'S YET. They are on there way tho'

And to think this is just a FILL-IN until Takara does Mirage, Then its final, Takara official, but I might keep one of these sets for kicks.

2. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    You'll forget about Invisible once you get Sphinx.

3. DogFriedRice

DogFriedRice Well-Known Member

Why not just keep one of each?

MMC is more "toon accurate" and fits in more with the MP line but I prefer Invisible.

4. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

Agreed. Sphinx is more accurate, in a completely subjective way, but there is something about him that I really hate. Something extra derpy. He's on my MP shelf b/c he does fit-in better than Invisible (which is a great stand-alone figure). Still, the minute something better comes along, Sphinx is getting replaced.

5. DogFriedRice

DogFriedRice Well-Known Member

Damn, I was expecting everyone to disagree :) 

I think the problem with Invisible is his tiny head and hands.
    Sphincter looks puffy and I can't get past the short thighs.

6. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    This!

7. gollum6974

gollum6974 Extreme Collector!

Thanks, this is what I need, Honest opinions and good observations. So far I don't think I made a bad choice with sphinx, at first I thought he might have been too toy based. That was due to all the writing like 'elf' and Liger and all that. Invisible had less of the Tampos. Keep it coming.

8. MrBigFeathas

MrBigFeathas My rocket pack?!?

I personally just don't see anything near Masterpiece looks from Invisible. I only collect Masterpiece scale figures and prefer them to look like the animation. Sphinx isn't perfect but he is close to the toon in my eyes. Invisible isn't even in the neighborhood to me. He also looks more like a Generations figure to me. Maybe it's that baby head.

9. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    This! Mirage was a pussy, this alternate reality mirage is a warrior unlike the why can't we all get along Mirage. Just look at invisible's face. He's not fucking around. Sphinx hands down looks better but I don't give a shit

10. Geterman

Geterman Second Coming of Primus TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sphinx all the way

11. Big Bronze Rim

Big Bronze Rim ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Moderator

QFT. Sphinx is so much nicer and more toon acurate.

12. Monari

Monari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The one thing about Sphinx is that he has a major design flaw in vehicle mode, in that his front wheel struts don't lock into anything, and his vehicle mode nose sags to the ground. It's baffling that MMC overlooked something that basic.

13. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've got both. I repainted Sphinx head to look more G1 toy. I replaced Invisible's head with the Kreon Mirage head (and painted it to look G1 toy).

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hate Sphinx's head out of the box. But after the paint tweaks I've steadily lost all interest in Invisible.

Invisible is very cool and I was quite happy with him until I got Sphinx.

14. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    Keep one of each if you like both in hands, and then get the Takara one when it eventually releases too. I am sure Takara will do a better head sculpt, but who knows about paint and stability, maybe, but probably no die cast.

15. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow this has to be some sort of miracle - everyone agreeing?

I'll throw my hat in with everyone else. I weighed them both up with pics, videos and reviews before purchase and ended up with Sphinx. He just works better as Mirage. I agree that the front axle sag is a pain but I rarely pose in alt mode so it's not an issue for me.

Also - Sphinx has that awesome parachute!!

16. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

Well we're all agreeing that Sphinx is the more accurate of the two from a G1 toon perspective. That being said, Invisible is a vastly superior toy. The engineering, tolerances, sturdy feel, and intuitive transformation make him far more of a fun toy. That's why I still have him. He just doesn't quite fit in the MP display shelf. His tiny head is the biggest flaw, but he's still infinitely more fun than Sphinx.

Neither is perfect, and I'll gladly buy any other solid attempts.

17. GR1ML0CK

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Ugh! Takara is #1 on my shit list. Bet money it wouldn't be better than either of the 3p offerings. (Spits on ground) They are quickly losing me

18. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

Mine doesn't sag unless you push down on it. It rolls just fine with no issues. There is half a way to lock one section up by rotating it all the way til it stops, and that helps hold the parts with the wheels from drooping more. But a design flaw nonetheless.

Anyway, Sphinx is MP, Invisible is CHUG, just my opinion on it, it's not accurate enough to any G1 Mirage and that misses the main #1 criteria to be a MP I'm my book.

My issues with Invisible are...
    Too small inaccurate head
    Classics Mirage proportions and part aesthetics, it looks like they lifted the Classics engineering and just upscaled and reshelled it.
    Rear Slicks have inaccurate rims
    Color is way too dark
    No spoiler in bot mode, having it out makes it too wide.
    His waist, crotch whatever is a flat set of flaps that is just there for flair I guess, it's not accurate, but again resembles the Classics area.

My issues with Sphinx...
    Design flaw in front wheels, mine are tight enough and don't sag though.
    Design flaw of shoulder cannon, fixed by adding a second piece for added articulation.
    No toy head option... (Not a real mold problem, I just want a damn toy head option from someone...)

I've held both, Invisible doesn't hold a candle to Sphinx for MP, but, for CHUG...go for it.

19. GR1ML0CK

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Invisible feels too nice for chug. Plastic is way too dense for that cheep cheep cheep shit

20. Streaker Prime

Streaker Prime Crusader

I agree Sphinx is more toon accurate, but for me that's a bug, not a feature. I want the Hasui toy/toon blend, not a slavish reproduction of no-detail, phoned in animation. Invisible all the way, albeit with the Visible Head On replacement head.