Ben Yee interview with Hasbro's Jerry Jivoin

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Nevermore, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 Robots ams metals Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Why can't we just have both? Some females be curvy and skinny and some be like Strika and Strongarm? Male Cybertronians differ the same way.

2. TheAnomaly

TheAnomaly Member

Exactly.

3. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Who says and why?
    Are we supposed to want to change women to be mysteries of androgyny like Pat?

4. Zer0

Zer0 Well-Known Member

You're being unnecessarily contentious with me and I'm really not sure why. I put forth no argument on either side of the debate. I stated factual information and I have no desire to be drawn into this male versus female argument you think everyone wants to have with you.

Your "are you" question was a direct offshoot of your assumption that I was part of the aforementioned group that I'm not a part of, not a question asking me if I was a member of the demographic you've lumped me into.

I'm not using any "it's for boys" argument. I'm simply stating the fact that this is a toy line marketed specifically to a male audience. You don't seem to be capable of differentiating.

There is no such thing as "the hypothetical you". There is "you" as a generality, though. Assuming that's what you originally meant, it still was not really addressed as a general statement, so much as a statement addressing me specifically.

And my "well actually" wasn't meant as a counter argument to the argument that no one cared about it. It was a correction to your exaggeration that the figure has been on the market for years, because it hasn't.

5. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid "See see Seacons!"

News Credits:
    A woman can still be a woman without looking like Kate Upton.

Are "we" supposed to be telling women they're only women if "us men" personally find them attractive?

Heck, the movies and shows have also given us Bulkhead and a redefined how Bumblebee fits into the universe. Was he ever *this* important to the franchise before Bay/Hasbro identified him as the "cool kid friendly character"?

There's even Drift, who hijacked Springer's spot in AoE and is now a samurai sports car in RiD. I also wouldn't be shocked if Sideswipe's role in RiD leads to him being re-branded as the new Bee in future shows or movies.

6. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    I... what... what are you talking about?!??

Look up Gloria Steinem sometime. She looked feminine.

A female looking female is NOT a bad thing.

All the G1 fem-bots were organic.

7. Ironhide4

Ironhide4 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Strange person

I agree with this.

This reminds me of when a male only golf club was started and feminists pushed so hard to get in due to equality and when they eventually did the golf club lost members and went into the shitter.

8. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

Ebay:
    so....no more waves of half teams huh? all combiner parts all out at one time instead of waiting for that one missing limb is pretty cool right??

right??

anything to get off this topic yeesh...

9. Zer0

Zer0 Well-Known Member

They were robots, actually. :tongue:  :wink: 

10. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I agree it comes down to why, and if someone doesn't say why, people shouldn't assume they're sexist. A good reason to one person isn't necessarily a good reason to another. I'm sure there are those who believe having a more diverse group of Transformers isn't a good reason to have an all female Transformer gestalt.

11. Zer0

Zer0 Well-Known Member

And no more fan-invented excuses as to why it's a brilliant marketing strategy for them to do that, either.

So, win/win all around. :tongue: 

12. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    :thumb 

But you cannot deny Botanica was organic.

13. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    No mention of it, but obviously the explosion and viability of 3rd party combiners played into Combiner Wars being seen as a viable line. Much as some of us always said it could be.

I would say stop forcing new characters into Generations unless they are asked for, and this is simply because there are plenty of established characters who have not gotten their due. We don't need to add more characters to TF at this point, leave that to the new lines like RiD2. A line of combiner toys is an especially poor time to try to do this, BTW. There are just fundamental things it seems Hasbro will never really understand.

As for the fan combiner, who cares, it will be a mess. Just look at Windblade and that was one figure.

14. Vanessa

Vanessa G1 Bonecrusher's #1 fangirl

I must admit to being a little confused by the male or female gestalt thing. Surely if all the individual team members are male, then the gestalt is male. And likewise if all female. But if it's a mixed gender team, what does that make the gestalt? Bi? Intersexed?
    Hunh!!

15. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Protector of Ed-Land

On the female debate: I find it, well, awesome that there will apparently be an option to vote for female members and gesalts. I will be up for a female combiner because it sounds cool. With the options available in colors and alternate modes this could end up fairly unique.

I would expect breast plates though. Hasbro seems to have firmly established that is the sort of style they go for. I would not expect sticks because of the "Scramble City" pegs.

16. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    I'm glad. As it means if you see them in stores you'll hopefully either see all of them or none of them.

And if any particular wave is harder to find than another, you won't have to worry about being left a limb or two short.

Wonder what this means for waves like Cyclonus or White Prime. Are they going to get their own limbs as well or will they cycle through Voyagers faster than Deluxe?

I don't think the gestalt is really "anything" in terms of gender or sex since it's components are interchangable and it's mind a result of their shared consiousness (at least going by IDW). So in that regard it wouldn't matter if it was guys, gals, or a mix. It'd just be whatever identity came out of the conglomerate.

Heck, Windshear is a female character yet turns into a more male looking face when she forms the head of Centuritron. What does that make it? What if transforming CW Prime into his torso mode revealed a more feminine breastplate? Would that mean anything about Prime's combined form.

If anything, I want to see Combiner Wars address what it means to actually "be" a gestalt. Is he only "Defensor" when he's all of the Protectobots? What if Silverbolt had to jump in for Hot Spot...does that make him Superion? Or do they create a third persona?

So in that regard, a female Torso bot would be the most interesting from a storyline perspective, as we'd have an opportunity to address what truly gives the gestalt it's identity.

17. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Eh, I'm just gonna vote for them all to be a dude.

18. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    That's the problem though.

"The reason I don't want diversity in characters is because Transformers don't need to be diverse because I don't want it to be diverse."

If they do go with repaints/retools of the existing molds, I'd be especially interested to see how they'd modify a figure like Prime or Hot Spot to create a female figure. Silverbolt feels like it'd be too obvious.

19. Zer0

Zer0 Well-Known Member

I'll concede, Botanica is a perfect example of an organic female Transformers character. :wink: 

20. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it's more of not every woman is super model skinny. Celebrating different body types adds more variety.