Ben Yee interview with Hasbro's Jerry Jivoin

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Nevermore, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Zer0

Zer0 Well-Known Member

How is "Transformers are genderless" (or, more accurately, sexless) a nonsense argument, exactly?

2. TheAnomaly

TheAnomaly Member

I agree. They absolutely should.

Why does a fan poll suddenly change the character's value though? The creative team is still going to be creating this character, male or female. It's like turning to someone sitting next to you and asking "what should I draw?" Their input doesn't somehow make the resulting piece less artistic or less creative.

3. Driskull98

Driskull98 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I don't give a shit about the gender of the combiner because I'm not going to be purchasing it. From what I've seen, it'll just be a repaint of existing figures.

4. Ironhide4

Ironhide4 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have and will.

I won't be surprised given the hasbro execs statement if it turns out to be female.

If it's female I'll vote with my wallet and not buy it. Either way I win.

Care to elaborate on this? Or will you simply not reply spartan 0996?

5. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid "See see Seacons!"

News Credits:
    Why did that only magically become an argument once Windblade was the winner of the last fan-poll? Despite Arcee, Blackarchnia, Strike, etc all coming along without question.

Heck, we've had a female combiner team member for a few years now. Her name is Windshear.

The world is still spinning.

I fail to understand why people don't get the problem is acting like Transformers have to be "for boys". Are you the same people who mock boys who like My Little Pony?

It's the same cycle of close-mindedness perpetuating itself generation to generation.

As somebody pointed out, there are currently 5-6 gestalts planned for CW. Of them, exactly none contain a female character. In the last year we've seen exactly three female characters in a generations line that's run for..what...a decade now?

Is it really that gross a notion that in all of Combiner Wars we get one female gestalt? Or even a few team members that are female?

You don't realize the mentality that "we don't need more women because it's for boys" is precisely the mentality that is the bigger problem here. It's not about the under-representation. It's about why we have an under-representation.

We've had Windsheer forming the head of Centuritron for a few years now. Yet the world keeps spinning. And it'll keep doing so even now that we've got Windblade and potentially a combiner that isn't a total sausage party.

6. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    This blew up into a big debate a while back, some people kept claiming it isn't/shouldn't be a boys franchise, it should be "gender neutral" despite the fact that giant fighting robots is usually more of a little boy thing than a little girl thing.

I was wondering that too. Transformers don't reproduce the same way humans do, so gender is really more of a humanizing token then it is a major biological factor for them. I wouldn't mind a genderless drone combiner.

7. Spartan0996

Spartan0996 Well-Known Member

I've read your posts, I know that arguing with you about this is pointless. You have an opinion and you stick to it. I'm just saving both of you the time and trouble. ;) 

8. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    This really is a bigger concern of mine than any related to gender/sex.

Though from what I've seen in RiD Hasbro has gotten a bit smarter about their retoolings. Warrior Drift is the same basic transformation as Warrior Bee but you don't realize it until you've played with both side-by-side for a bit.

9. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This thread so far has been bizarrely talking around the fact that nearly every official female Transformer is already a redeco of a male Transformer. These Transformers, if female, will be just as "real" as all of those other female Transformers. In fact, the more we dissociate Cybertronian femininity from curvy, skinny robots, the better.

10. Zer0

Zer0 Well-Known Member

It didn't "magically" become an argument with the inception of Windblade. People have been putting forth the argument that a sexless civilization of automatons would have no need for bodies with exaggerated female anatomy since Generation 1. I don't see how it's a nonsense debate just because you only recently discovered it.

Why does this amorphous group suddenly include me as a member, exactly? I didn't say anything about Transformers "having" to be for boys. I just stated that it's a toy line marketed specifically towards a male audience, which is a fact. Whether it should be that way, or whether I want it to be that way have nothing to do with that statistic.

Why are you arguing with me about things I never said?

Windshear is actually part of a wave that came out early 2014, or late 2013. It's been out for roughly about a year.

11. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    Okay, fine, let's play that game.

Let's assume that no girl/woman will ever care about Transfomers ever. It is as much a "boy franchise" as MLP is a "girl franchise". Cool.

Given that assumption, wouldn't you still want something that is aimed directly at young boys to provide them with a more interesting world view than "Boys go shooty bang bang and girls are pretty faces in the crowd?" Or, in the case of "Transformers are genderless".... "girls don't exist"?

Don't you want them to see stories about groups of heroes that include men, women, and people from different walks of life so they get the idea early that "Hey, maybe I can be friends with people who aren't exactly like me." Power Rangers has been doing this since day one. Did anybody complain about Kimberly? Was there any legitimate fan backlash when the Yellow Zyu or Gaorangers were changed to be women in their respective PR counterparts?

Because that's what's been happening in media for years now. And that's why Transformers is no longer "just for boys". And that means it's time for Transformers to show it's audiences some respect and present a more accurate picture of what the world is like.

Yeah, the robots are "genderless". They don't reproduce as humans do. But gender/sex extends beyond what may or may not be dangling between your legs and how you chose to make use of it.

12. Ironhide4

Ironhide4 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's up to the person replying to me not you.

You've contradicted yourself by adding a pointless post in your first reply in relation to me.

13. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    I asked "are you". So, are you?

Learn the "hypothetical you". Though admittedly you are using the "It's for boys" non-argument that is part of the bigger issue with marketing and it's affect on gender/identity.

"Well actually" aside, how does this change the part where we already had a female combiner member and nobody apparently cared?

14. Spartan0996

Spartan0996 Well-Known Member

Whatever you say! :D 

15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Exactly.
    Thank you.

16. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 Robots ams metals Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Because if this combiner turns out to be female, most of the fans will no doubt have voted for it to be female just for the sake of being female. I'm not gonna be mad if it ends up female. I just won't buy it. But Strongarm's introduction was as if she was just another new character. She wasn't forced.

17. RavageX-9

RavageX-9 I don't know

Ebay:
    And now the majority of the thread is discussing gender in a way that's only tangentially related to the interview. "What do you expect?" indeed. "I expect nothing and I'm still let down."
    Any chance of containment? I don't argue that the discussion isn't important or somewhat relevant, but can't we just not have it every time Combiner Wars are mentioned? Maybe there's only a pathetic shred of remaining conversation that people would want to have and the topic of gender isn't intimidating anyone from posting, but you can't know since it's already dominating.

Maybe I'm bitter because somehow FoC Bruticus was "popular" enough with fans that in addition to this experiment, they had changed their minds about not doing gestalts as previously stated.
    I just thought the Hasbro rep was not very artful in his camouflaging of PR talk, and had very little to say.

The line before:
    But the good quality stuff is already being pushed out of the mainline. All of this should be new to young kids anyway. We're losing ground.
    On the one hand, Masterpiece has slowly expanded, but domestically it still trickles out. We're losing out on the more affordable options. Ah well. Capitalism.

That's what the main line is for. We got great stuff like Lockdown that also got done in movie style. Lugnut got done in a Classics style.

I don't see why he would mind. He messed up answering and got confused, as evidenced by the mention of the Legends figures.
    Variety is an important one. What's strange is that he didn't mention that we're getting the best of both worlds with the new characters for variety plus the missing character getting released later. Obviously it doesn't work with Groove and likely Afterburner.

In a giftset they have more flexibility in pricing and size. Long Haul is still huge compared to the others. Just scale the whole thing down.

18. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    What- so wanting females to look female is a bad thing?
    WTH?

19. TheAnomaly

TheAnomaly Member

Defining female as skinny/curvy/delicate and literally nothing else is the bad thing.

20. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    @T-Hybrid

I never said it's "just for boys". Girls have every right to enjoy the franchise just as much, but that doesn't change the fact that it's still marketed at boys. Males still make up the majority of the audience (and I don't care what that Facebook fan poll said), and until that changes, Hasbro isn't going to make it a gender neutral franchise, nor would that be a good marketing strategy.