Being priced out of collecting

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bass X0, Apr 12, 2022.

1. transmasterc

transmasterc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Though with me. I am not being priced out of TF collecting but being very selective.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

This touches on a thing that gets on my nerves, and third parties do it a lot.

Stop pissing away money on trash like plastic printed collector cards, fancy embossed packaging, and all these other things that take money away from the actual product. Nobody is going to not sell their well made and desired product just because they aren't accommodating the weirdos on Youtube that need to make unboxing videos.

Every time I pull some 'extra' put of a box I just get annoyed and wonder what was sacrificed in the figure to find some budget space for these cards etc.

They're neat things but have likely never been what makes someone buy or not buy.

• Like Like x 7
  3. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    I have a difficult time reconciling what others say about wholesale and what I experienced with wholesale. When Marvel Legends were $20, I absolutely could not get them any cheaper than about $17 shipped through a distributor. Then half the case wouldn't move anywhere north of $10. If I had been able to get solid cases, like retailers seem to do now, I might've hung on a little longer, though I can't imagine trying to sell anything at current prices. Long story short, if you're thinking about signing up with Embarrassment Earth, don't.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  4. volatus

volatus Autopilot

At most... we are being priced out of collecting as much. My purchasing habits will communicate how I feel. I only ordered about 2\5 of the Transformers figures announced lately, and about 1\30 of the non-Transformers. They can raise prices by 10% for no reason, and I can decide to do without 80% of the Hasbro spending I did last year. If other people are deciding similarly, then the math just doesn't check out. I hope someone in business development sees the impact and has the metrics to argue how raising prices reduced sales and profits. But I guess that depends how many people are significantly cutting their Hasbro purchases.

• Like Like x 5
  5. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Yeah, that’s what I’m trying to do. No more impulse buys. And I really try to talk myself out of any purchase that comes along. Often, I fail, but I succeed a lot more than I used to. So overall, I’ll probably be giving Hasbro less of my money this year.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Happy Miracle

Happy Miracle Well-Known Member

This year was absolutely the year I had to stop, take stop and just put an end to a decent chunk of TF collecting. I’ve managed to sell or put up for sale a majority of stuff and there’s still thinks to move on, but yeah, it’s getting dear out there. Hope everyone’s doin well, we live in interesting times it seems!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I have not bought a action figure in. Over 2 months. That's a long time for me. For more than one reason. Price and availability are major factors. What's the point of wasting expensive gas hunting for overpriced figures That mostly will not be there?

• Like Like x 4
  8. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just wanted to state that the Kingdom figures were on sale at the Walmart I went today, deluxes at 13.50$ so I ended up getting a spare Tracks and core Rattrap for 8.50$. (note that this is in CAD$)...

9. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

I understand price, but availability? Aside from low production runs and FansToys' deliberate supply fuckery, isn't practically everything available to be ordered online and shipped to your door.

I mean, I live in a part of my country that practically *never* gets the last wave of anything, and often misses whole waves. But I am not a child wholly reliant on mommy or daddy to buy my toys. I go to my computer or phone, place an order with one of the dozens of online shops, and then my things show up.

In the age of online shopping being a normal thing, not some new concept in 1998, I do not understand people complaining about lack of availability. It really could not be easier to get what you want.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I find myself being less willing to buy toys now unless they’re on sale.

I just can’t justify £25 for a Deluxe, £35 for a Voyager and £55 for a Leader.

• Like Like x 11
  11. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Especially when entire waves drop all at once from online retailers and you get banged with 3 deluxes, 2 voyagers a leader and a $100+Gen Selects multipack all at once.

That's my main gripe. I get brick and mortar is a dying breed but I definitely liked it better because it allowed you to space out purchases. The online FOMO life now rarely allows for that.

• Like Like x 10
  12. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At this point, the vast, vast majority of my purchases are clearance sales or stores like Ross and Ollie’s. There are only a handful of toys I have been willing to pay MSRP for. I just accept I won’t have whole waves like I used to. I still only have three out of five of the most recent Stunticons!

• Like Like x 3
  13. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know there is legitimate concern over missing certain figures, but in most cases you really *don't* have to pre- order everything or buy everything all at once though.

• Like Like x 2
  14. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    FOMO is what it's all about these days...

If the figure is a "must-have" for your collection, distribution has been horrific and with so many that if you miss it, be prepared to pay double or more for it, makes it very hard to simply hope to find it at your convenience.

I've hesitate many times before and regretted it, and some I did pay more than I should for figures that I didn't believe would show but did, but the goal was to have them so it sucked but part of the perils we face to get something we want.

And in such cases where I overpaid only to see it show up and even go on sale, it simply gave me a chance to buy a backup, rebalancing the cost.

But that is in regards to figures that I really wanted... Anything on my maybe list usually end up obtained via a sale, liquidation, or from an event or marketplace sale (used).

I've bought less and less at full prices/new in the last year, but I've also gotten deals, into other lines/brands (3rd and 4th parties), but still kept the goal to slow down and stay on a certain level of budget. To me, I think the price increases have been ridiculous as while some figures are very decent, the lack of accessories and other cut corners approaches have been a show of how much Hasbro has no qualms in milking the fans. It's not even so much about being to afford the hobby (as I'm fine in that sense) but I'll always stand by the fact that it's about value for money... If I'm spending almost 40$ for a Deluxe, 50$ (CAD) for a Voyager, I want something that's worth that amount, and honestly it's been a long time that I feel that it has happened... The number of times that I did get something on sale (30-40%) are when I felt a lot less cheated.

Last edited: May 9, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Bustermaster

Bustermaster GREAT - ROBOT - BASED

News Credits:
    I have the luxury of not being priced out but I will also not sit here and say that the deluxes are worth $20, they’re not. Its truly a shame that something like core class is on the chopping block. People should be able to get a figure that isn’t a one step or a kid gimmick laden thing for under $15.

The days of legends and cyberverse truly were when we didn’t know how good we had it.

• Like Like x 3
  16. nOObiE do0

nOObiE do0 noobious maximus

Shipping is an additional tax that some don't want to pay.
    And other live in areas where porch pirates are a thing.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Well if you lived where I do ordering online is the only real option and you never know which ones are going to sell out or hang around on online websites. So yeah, best bet is to put in that PO.

I have ONE Wal*mart that is close by and that is literally the only store close by. No Ross, Ollies Target etc. Those and the next closest Wal*mart are all over 2 hours away. So I really don't have the option to "shop around" or wait until clearance.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dinowave

Dinowave Well-Known Member

No doubt Transformers are pretty expensive as is. But unrelated to that, with the current recession and no idea what kind of surprise the future has for us, I'm just spending less in general.

Getting poorer each year due to the higher cost of living VS slower salary increase, I'm all about getting stuff that I find is worth the cost. A current leader such as Legacy Sandstorm that is small and with a huge QA issue (the chest pop in robot mode, saw 6-7 people on YouTube that each have this problem) is just not worth it for the price, in my opinion.

• Like Like x 3
  19. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've found it incredibly helpful to only preorder where there is no deposit and no penalty for cancelation.

As the release date approaches, if everything is still readily available at multiple online sites I'll cancel those items before I'm charged. If an item *isn't* widely available, I keep it.

That way it's much easier to navigate budget wise.

99% of things can be ordered online leisurely once in stock.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    It's definitely a weird cognitive dissonance. I have about a dozen places to buy toys within about 30 miles. They all keep their shelves bare. Not just toys either. Stuff that was a staple of my youth like movies and computers and video games seem stalled. Anything but the cheapest most undesirable trash has to be ordered online. It's like they can't be bothered to sell anything to the local population but won't close down so a competitor can move in. But then you go drive a little and signs all over are boasting "affordable" homes in the low 400Ks. Make up your minds whether we're rich or poor already.

• Like Like x 6