Being content/satisfied with your collection

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cracka J, Jul 8, 2019.

1. gabumon

gabumon papertoy designer

News Credits:
    I mostly collect Animated and some day I'll have them all - slowly (in no hurry) anyway.

Hasbro has lured me in with CW, TR and POTP so I've picked up a few here and there. But I'm pretty satiated now. I got excited and preordered WFC Omega Supreme but him being delayed has help me think and look at my collection. I've canceled him and I think I'm going to weed out some of the non-animated I have now.

I do have a pre-order for Refractor so I'll get him - maybe 3 if I'm lucky but I think then I'll take a break from collecting new stuff.

2. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

In terms of my Generations and Studio Series collections, I'm getting there.

Like, for Studio Series, I have the main Autobot cast of the first film, I've got a good selection of Bumblebees, I've got most of the 2007 Decepticons, I've got a few characters from later films that I want, and all I really want that I don't have are Bonecrusher, Bumblebee Movie Optimus Prime, and the Constructicons. If they do another Leader Dinobot, maybe I'll get that, but aside from that, I'm set.

For Generations, it's a bit trickier. Right now I'm focusing on the 1984 lineup, and all I'm really missing now are Ratchet (wanna get the upcoming Siege one), Wheeljack, Bluestreak, Hound, Trailbreaker, Gears, Cliffjumper, Skywarp, Thundercracker, and maybe Refractor (that sounds like a lot, but compared to what I have so far...). However, I'm also interested in Lost Light characters (I only have Ultra Magnus, Chromedome, Rewind, and Krok, not counting customs), the 1986 Movie crew, Titans Return Windblade, and the Titans and Combiners I missed or I had and customized into something else. That said, I've got next to no space on my shelf or in storage, so I absolutely have to wait a while.

In terms of other lines, I've got room on those shelves and I'm actually really enjoying revisiting figures from older lines, like Animated and Prime and the first movie. As mind-blowingly awesome as Siege and Studio Series are, I'm getting more excitement from fiddling around with a figure from the past ten to twenty years that I just missed out on or I had and I lost it.

So yeah, my answer is kinda sort of.

3. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

I'm inching closer to completing my collection, but I fear I won't see an MP scaled Defensor for a long, long time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gabumon

gabumon papertoy designer

News Credits:
    now THAT would bring me out of collecting hibernation!

5. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I’m pretty much in maintenance mode right now. After getting back into collecting late in 2017, I focused on getting pretty much everything that caught my eye that had been released during my absence the previous 10 years. My situation allowed me to cherry pick what I felt were the best representations of each character released the previous 10 years instead of just buying everything out there. So, my collection is still, I think, relatively modest. At this point I am getting 60 to 70% of the Siege figures released as well as the odd MP along the way. If I have a goal for my collection, I guess it would be to have at least one version of each character I like that I feel captures the essence of that character sufficiently. I also have some space limitations that I am approaching. So, from a practical perspective, I’m kind of getting close to some type of completion.

6. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I cut the hell down. 10 years ago I was a borderline completionist who never once thought I'd ever sell any of my stuff. That's changed. Downsizing my collection and even the prospect of doing so gives me a sense of relief.

I hated buying a bunch of stuff and never really taking a step back to enjoy it. My mentality between 2007-2014 was to buy stuff when I could since it would be harder to track down and more expensive later. Impatience got the best of me in that respect. The thrill of the hunt was an adrenaline rush. I felt it again when I hunted for Springer a few weeks ago.

For now, the new stuff that I enjoy comes from SIEGE and the MP line. I'm very picky with the Studio Series line. The voyagers are normally the sweet spot from what I've seen from movie lines since TLK. The SS deluxes though, suffer in my opinion for haskaromy trying to shove so much into a small figure that isn't at a size adequate enough to withstand the engineering involved for transformation. I much prefer the older movie figures, accuracy be damned.

• Like Like x 1
  7. prowl07

prowl07 Well-Known Member

I am content with my MP collection. However, I am thinking about branching out into CHUG to get characters who don't have an MP figure or may not.

8. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I've not reached a point at content with collection. I'm always interested in seeing what comes next in the most current line. I mean the last trilogy was great and so far from the current I'm still really happy. Yes,....i've had let downs already but not from figures but from sold out word and i can't seem to buy what i want now. It just keeps getting sold out before i can get money to buy it. So will i ever reach that point then well i dunno but i doubt it.

9. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    I'm in very much a similar place. Ever since the big cull of 2008 my collection has been focused on having the best looking interpretations of my favourite characters from my favourite areas of the franchise (G1 and Beast Wars/Machines mostly). Which has meant moving away from mainline stuff and almost exclusively to Masterpiece and MP-like 3rd Party figure. However the more prices have risen and TT have moved towards a more literal and less interpretive aesthetic (particularly with G1) I've found myself losing interest, taking stock and reassessing what I want as a collection.....both Siege and the huge Legends scale 3P scene being as good looking as they are have caused me to wonder if I'm backing the right horse here.

It's taken me a while to get there but I think I know what I need and where to get it. I feel like the G1 portion of my MP /MP like collection I will soon be done. From that point onwards I feel my collecting may change direction considerably, towards less expensive lines and maybe even away from Transformers.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
    I am just curious on what everyone's goals for there Transformers collection or a point they are willing to stop. I'm curious because I have been having this internal debate for a while now.

After looking at the franchise and what I love about it, I am doing G1 and Season 1 +Extras. By extras I mean, I'm adding Red Alert and Impactor to my Autobot and Barricade and Spinister to my cons. Plus a few other shelves like a small duocon shelf, Autobot target masters, and a few S3 Characters.

What about you guys?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Still see the Sunshine

None. If Hasbro continues to come up with new stuff that I think is cool, I'll keep buying. I'm not one to limit myself to just a series' cast or whatever if it means I miss out on cool figures.

• Like Like x 7
  12. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    Completion or death.

• Like Like x 3
  13. PrimalMotive

PrimalMotive Barely Surviving

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Same here, but if the transformers figures slows down, then my goal would be to complete the entire movie robots (including wheelie and brains thanks to leader class shockwave now!)

14. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Same. If it's official and cool, I'll get it.
    My focus mainline and some MP, so I don't think there will ever not be something to get.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Spark Extractor

Spark Extractor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1. MP's of the 1985 checklist + Reflector/Superion/Defensor and maybe Omnibots from Takara and/or FansToys.

2. My TFPrime is complete, but if Hasbro/Takara/3P make a Hardshell and new Airachnid, I'll get those. I will also get any MP TFPrime if they ever get made.

3. Might get all of the 3A Bumblebee Movie DLX figures (definitely OP and already have Bee).

I've honed my TF collection to just these 3 iterations and I'm pretty close to being done. Right now for me it's an easy slow trickle of figures which helps with how expensive they've become. I am looking forward to being done with collecting TF's and just enjoying my collection without having to constantly be on the lookout for what's coming next. If they do come out with a new show that is really really good (IMO) and the designs are awesome (IMO) and the toys are very well made (IMO), I might be tempted to get another line, but I just don't see that happening for a long time if ever.

16. Daedelus

Daedelus Know sacrifice, know victory

The only representations I really want right now highly accurate, highly articulated or highly stylized representations of Prime with 1-3 favorite characters from that same continuity/style. Pretty much leaves my collecting wide open.

The only full cast I want are MP Unicron Trilogy, MP Transformers Prime, and MPM Bayverse and Travisverse.
    Which is funny, because these either haven't started or just started.

17. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    I can always go back and pick up the missing holes in my Animated display. Plus I still need Skyquake & the Vehicons to consider myself done with my Prime display.

I'd like to think I can stop collecting Studio Series/the Bayverse once I have the main cast of the first three movies complete since I've already got AOE & TLK complete... Then you consider that would require them to make Dino, Que, & Leadfoot.

But honestly I'd consider myself done once I've got the catalogue complete for the first five years of Transformers, from 1984 to 1988 plus the Pretenders of 1989 in CHUG form. This refers to just the toys but along the way I've been collecting characters from the cartoon and comics, foreign only characters, and characters introduced post 1989 to fill in the ranks and tell my own version of G1 all while waiting for them to complete those rosters (Windblade & the Fembots, Impactor, Scrounge, the upcoming Nightbird & Barricade, etc.).
    • 1984: Ratchet & Bluestreak
    • 1985: Inferno, Grapple, Omega Supreme, Omnibots, Powerdashers, Venom, Ransack, Barrage, Ramjet, & Thrust
    • 1986: Ratbat, Slammer, Ramhorn, & Steeljaw
    • 1987: Apeface, Snapdragon, Overkill, Slugfest, Crosshairs, Sureshot, Pointblank, & the Throttlebots
    • 1988: Headmaster Jrs, Quickmix, Landfill, Slapdash, Joyride, Squawkbox, Flamefeather, Sparkstalker, Triggerbots, Crankcase, Seacons, & the Pretenders
    I still have a ways to go with 1988 so I may stop once I get the last few pieces of 84-87. Thankfully I've got Bluestreak, Omega Supreme, the Powerdashers, Apeface, & Crosshairs preordered. And with Ratchet & Ratbat also coming out that thins out the must gets even more. Not to mention the upcoming Siege Mirage & Smokescreen who will be replacing their CW counterparts. Hell I could consider myself done once they do new Coneheads as well as Grapple & Inferno, forget the rest if I can have the complete first two seasons on my shelf I'd be set & happy.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    For me its about characters that are in an aesthetic I like. I'm not an army builder either, so I don't need 3 or 4 of the same. The chars that I still have left to get are:

Decepticons:
    Spectro
    Barricade
    Nightbird
    BB Blitzwing
    Sunstorm
    Runabout
    Runamok
    The yellow and blue rainmakers
    Shadowstriker
    Gnaw
    Cyclonus
    Black Shadow
    Skyquake
    Dreadwing
    Buzzsaw
    Longhaul
    Hook
    Scrapper
    The other 2 Constructicons
    Wild Rider

Autobots:
    Greenlight
    Cog Man
    Wheeljack
    Prowl
    Skyfire (CV)
    Arcee (G1)
    Hound
    Cheetor (CV)
    Brainstorm
    Cel-Shaded Optimus Prime

Unless they make an affordable and easily available Paddles, I'm done with the dinobots.

Wishful thinking characters:
    Filch
    General Glowstrike
    Esmeral
    Polar Claw
    Terrastrike
    Nova Prime

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  19. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:
    It will feel complete when all Head/Target/Power -masters have been remade. I prefer that phase of G1 over the first few years. I wouldn't mind if they were all done as Titan Masters either.

(Referring to the title of the merged threat calling it the "Endgame.") Interpreting the question another way, The endgame for some portions of my collection will be when I sell those I no longer feel the need to keep.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  20. Shanxs

Shanxs Open your eyes. Can't you see?

I guess getting all the G1 Season 1 characters plus some cool Season 2 ones.