Being content/satisfied with your collection

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cracka J, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just FYI this is not a "I'm quitting" thread :lol  Still an active TF buyer.

However, buying less and less these days has really put the question in mind - when are we, as collectors, really at a point where we are content with what we have in our collections/displays? Not where we want to quit & be done with the hobby and sell everything off, but just be able to sit and appreciate what we've amassed over the period of time collecting, and be cool with that.

I know as a TF fan the general consensus might be, well, never. The collection is constantly evolving with new releases still coming out actively from hasbro, takara, and 3rd party companies. There is a bit of a slice of the pie for every type of TF interest now under the sun, and your niche is likely covered in some way or form.

For me personally shifting to a lot of MPs and 3rd party, I've kinda come to a point where a lot of the new stuff that gets announced for upcoming releases are either slight upgrades to a previous release I'm content with, or another company's offering/variation on a previous release. I'm super picky about what I spend money on now. Something has to floor me in both pictures AND reviews for me to want to open up the wallet, it's not a "first show in town" or "wow that's badass gotta have it" situation anymore. The product needs to impress on both a visual and technical level to be worth the cash.

With that being said, I think the last MP purchase I made was toward the beginning of the year, and I've just been collecting new siege offerings since then, which I think are great for their price points. I've honestly never been this content with my collection, and have been spending a relatively low amount on this hobby for the first time in about the last 13 years. Just wanted to throw out the question to the community and see if people are still balls out for every new offering or kinda getting to the point of being satisfied with their toys after several great years of releases.

• Like Like x 6
  2. analogue

analogue 01110111 01100101 01100010 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm almost to the point where my collection is complete, with the exception of new releases of the characters I collect. I'm down to less than 10 I am still looking for after securing a G1 Overlord late last week. Just have some smaller more obscure items at this point, some of which I may never find due to limited distribution back in the 80s. The only big ticket item still on my list is a good G1 Black Shadow, and I am in no hurry as I am looking to get a nice one.

I'm hoping that new releases will satisfy the collector's itch, but I've also recently started up a project revolving around collecting which hopefully will help scratch that itch as well - redirecting the energy to another hobby so to speak. But we will see, I doubt I'll expand my collection to other characters at this point, but who knows.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  3. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Similar mindset, except towards CHUG collecting :) 

Sold off a bunch of G1 MPs, to complete my 1986 movie collection. Just need a good Blaster and some tapes, and I’m done! I may continue to update figures as better ones are released... <_< looks at any Hasbro galvatron ever released. That leader Astrotrain looks good to.

Now I’m going to focus on my actual display, make some cool Autobot City backdrops, nice LED lighting, etc... gonna be nice! I’m tired of it looking like a mass of plastic :D 

4. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

Honestly I'm focused on Beast Wars Masterpiece.

So far I have:

Cheetor
    Dinobot
    Optimus Primal

Next month I will purchase Megatron.

At some point pre-order Blackarachnia.

Other then that my focus is on Marvel Legends.

More accurately Avengers and X-Men.

5. quickshift

quickshift Combiner Junkie

Without going into the whole timeline of my life, I've been in and out of the hobby over the years. I've gotten pickier about what I pick up and thankfully moved away from being a completest. I'm telling myself that with the combiner war trilogy and the AWESOME stuff we're getting with siege, I dont need to buy anything else after this WFC trilogy wraps up.

Now unfortunately I've begun dabbling in the customization field and have eyes on doing diorama displays.

To answer your question, we are all different and have different tastes. That threshold for saying"I'm done" is different for each of us

6. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Eat. Pray. Lovehammer.

News Credits:
    It depends on what you're collecting.

I went from buying whatever looked cool (a bit impulsively really) to trying to refocus on what I specifically liked. My collection will never be "done" because if Hasbro or Takara releases something that hits that sweet spot again I'll pick it up.

• Like Like x 2
  7. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    10 molds to go for G1 for mold completion, then about another 10 optional (and very expensive) repaints.

Dagdrill and Guard Diver to complete Brave.

MMC IDW characters as they come.

Then it's just fine tuning CHUG-esque display as and when New stuff comes out, including the odd 3P if it fits.

I'd love to be able to buy some new Botcon exclusives...

Technically I need a Skids and Trailbreaker / Hoist if I want to finish off my 84/85 MP collection but I can't really say I have any enthusiasm for those anymore.

So the finish line is sort of in sight. But to use a Furmanism... it never ends!

8. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    I only collect Classics through Generations (I hate the term "CHUG") and I think my collection of G1 characters is nearly complete. I'm selling off my Alternators and other odds and ends on Ebay right now. I don't and won't collect third party figures, but accessories for my Generations TFs are fair game.

Still, if HasTakTomy comes out with better figures of characters that I like than what I already have, I might buy those. Jetfire is a good case in point.

[​IMG]

I think Siege Jetfire might be my ultimate Jetfire, but you never know. If HasTak came out with a Titan-sized Superion and Bruticus, I'd be all over those.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  9. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Recently I made the decision to cut back on how many figures I buy, and try to make better use of my existing collection. I actually don't buy that many figures anyway, but I tend to transform them a few times and then forget about them. I was so excited when I got Siege Soundwave, but I don't think I've transformed him since March or April. Honestly, I could have just stuck with my old 2010 WFC Soundwave and saved 30 dollars, that figure was doing the job fine.

I tend to see figure reveals, and get really excited. "I'm going to buy them all". But by the time they end up on shelves, I'm a bit pickier. An example is Shatter. I thought that figure was a must-buy when I first saw the pictures online, but it was an easy pass when I saw her in stores. I'm so glad the figures are revealed early, or else there'd be a lot of impulse buying on my part.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Flash1087

Flash1087 Department of False Hope

Ebay:
    I'm sorta where you are. I'm getting very close to the point where I can say I'm "done" with my MP shelves - I really only want the characters I liked as a kid and/or never got to own in G1, so most of my MP shelves are dudes like the 84-85 Autobots, the 84 Decepticons, and a handful of movie-era guys. I'll get the occasional 3P of someone I like (Power Baser, for example) but I'm never going to feel the urge to own an "entire cast" outside of the Ark crew, which I'm very close to finishing as soon as I get a Seaspray and my remaining Seekers.

Same with CHUG. I used to want to complete a bunch of different casts, but after buying most of the prominent MTMTE/Lost Light crew members I realized I was content just going forward with Siege and seeing what lies in store. Siege is the mainline I've enjoyed the most since Titans Return and I'm happy to divert my funds towards upcoming releases there and not trying to backfill on figures I might not even like as much anymore. It's weirdly liberating in a way, knowing I'm still totally involved with TF collecting but not really going as hard as I used to just thanks to focusing on two lines that I really enjoy.

11. Spark Extractor

Spark Extractor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been in a really content place with Transformers for a couple of years now. I have a complete loose and MISB TFPrime collection and I'm putting together an 84/85 Takara MP and Fanstoys masterpiece collection. I've gotten rid of everything else, including variants of MP/TFP and narrowed it down to a core collection. All the new stuff and different lines look great, but I can enjoy reveals/pics/and other people's collections instead of buying them for myself. While I am still in the process of completing MP 84/85, there is no hurry or frustration, and I'd even be fine with stopping right where I'm at if I had to.

I do collect things other than TF's and I've slowly been getting to the same place with all of those collections as well. I've dropped Star Wars, Marvel, Chogokin and random odds and ends completely. My Legend of Zelda collection is just fine as it is, but I know I'll pick up Amiibos/Nendoroid/Figma/F4F Statues if/when they come out, but I'm not in any hurry and there is anything to really complete with LoZ. My Mezco One:12 collection has been narrowed to DC and some of their random characters (popeye/space ghost/gomez/diabolik), but I'm not trying to complete anything there either which just makes it fun and pretty much hassle/anxiety free.

My biggest problem right now is from DC statues. I'm really in a completist mode for Batman w/Rogues and a Justice League. To make problems worse, I'm torn between 1/6 Tweeterhead, 1/4 Sideshow, and 1/3 Prime 1. I've been buying some statues from each scale/company to see which one will win out, but it's getting crazy and hard to figure out, so I'm not at all content with this collection. Hopefully soon I'll be able to get it into the same place as my other collections so I can get back to just having fun and being 'content' with my entire collection.

12. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After I reach 200 il stop

13. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    Contention is relative to what you want, what you have, and what's available, and all three of those things fluctuate. So I think being satisfied with a collection is a situation where you are content with a collection that is never set 100% and no matter the goal will always be subject to change and evolve.

14. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    thanks for all the feedback guys. pretty cool to see at least a few are in the same place where we aren't quitting/selling our collections but pretty satisfied with what we see in them.

I know I've had days where I just sit and look at my shelves and am really happy with what I have collected over the years.

I think there will always be some awesome new figures in the pipeline that I will want to pickup, but again they will really have to be worth it to warrant the purchase. Siege jetfire to name one I'm currently sold on :D 

thanks again & have fun

• Like Like x 2
  15. Dachande

Dachande Very Hank. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is a really good topic!

I've never looked at my collection and felt like I was missing something. There have been many times when I felt a bit overwhelmed by everything that's accumulated over these long years, but periodic culls and reshuffling displays eases the weight.

With what I have today, from official MP's to mainlines, I could stop altogether and feel good about all I have.

There will always be new releases that feel "necessary" (I have Skyfire, so now it's Omega Supreme), but if I never bought another figure after today I could sit back and enjoy what I have with no regrets.

• Like Like x 3
  16. thesleepybuddha

thesleepybuddha Member

I always find myself selling off, buying new things, and reselling and looking for what I sold :( 

17. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    I've thought about this a lot recently (probably at my girlfriend's urging) and I'm not sure when I'll get to that point.

Now that the original movies have wrapped up, I feel like I'll be pretty content when Studio Series is over, but then it becomes a matter of "OK, which version of this character do I keep and which do I sell off?" And to further muddy the waters, third party has begun to delve into the movie figures.

The MPMs are still a thing and, aside from some QC issues, have been stellar, so I'll absolutely still get those as long as they produce them. Same for the BW MPs.

The G1 MPs I'm kind of weening off of, since I'm not a true fan of the original cartoon, so they don't hold much sentimentality for me, but I appreciate their designs. Admittedly, Hound looks awesome, but a lot of others I feel like I was getting just because I could. I hate having an incomplete collection, but I'll probably end up only keeping the major players, like Prime, Megatron, Soundwave, the Seekers, etc.

18. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Having replaced CW Ultra Magnus with the Siege one and will be replacing the IDW Springer with Siege as well, my collection is nearly at the point where I can actually call it quits. I'm only really getting a few more Studio Series guys and my non movie collection is laser focused on G1, so I'm pretty goddamn content and happy with the state of Transformers and my collection.

19. Jawafive

Jawafive Member

I've never been content with mine. Always buying/selling.

20. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    With MPs going up in price, I think I'm content with the ones I have now and have shifted my focus to CHUG mainly.

When it comes to CHUG, I'm happy with some of the characters I have toys of where as others that need better versions or no CHUG at all, I'll keep buying to fill in the gaps. I think the only ways I'd be content is if circumstances force me to such as: life changes, financial situation, change in employment, or if HasTak ever decides to completely pull the plug on the TF line.

• Like Like x 1