Minor/Repaint: "Behold... (Universe) Galvatron!"

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Switch625, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I haven't done any real repainting in awhile, so since I've had some free time lately, I decided to jump back in and do some work on Universe Galvatron. Just like the original G1 toy, all it needed was more purple and some more detail. I didn't give too much attention to the tank mode, since I display it in robot mode and most of the tank parts are either covered up or in the back. It still needs some general touch up work (the camera flash really pointed out the problem spots) but I'm extremely pleased with how it turned out. In the pics, the purple I added doesn't match the purple on the figure too well, but under normal lighting, it's much closer. I hope you like it as much as I do.

[att]18600[/att]

[att]18601[/att]

[att]18602[/att]

[att]18603[/att]

[att]18604[/att]

[att]18605[/att]

Attached Files:

2. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I'm glad the purples don't match exactly. The interplay between them really brings out the details in the mold! Job well done!:thumbs2: 

3. JazzEd

JazzEd Truckasaurus!

Maybe thinning out the paint would give a more "cleaner" look. Even so, it looks great! The arm cannon is the perfect color of orange! What paint did you use?

4. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

The paint's already pretty thin. I can't tell you how many coats I put on there. It's just some acrylic paint I got at Wal-Mart, nothing special. That probably accounts for the look of the paint. But, these are pretty high-res photos, so the problem areas are going to pop more. From a distance, and on the shelf, I think it looks really good.

As for the orange, it's called "pumpkin orange." I tried to find a metallic orange paint, similar to the purple, so that it would pop a bit more, but couldn't. I also tried to add some gold flake to the orange, kind of like the original toy, but when I tested it on the cannon, it clumped up and ended up looking like a cheeto, so I removed it and went with just a flat color.

5. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    I just love the color scheme!

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This. I am really enjoying this subtle variation. Great work! :thumb 

As far as the paint applications goes, you could try wet-sanding between coats. If you used the "craft" paint found at Walmart, I'd recommend placing a coat of clear acrylic on top if you haven't done so already. :thumb