before the TCU

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Jazzmustlive123, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Jazzmustlive123

Jazzmustlive123 jazz died thinking he's the coolest

I wonder if they thought of a shared universe before the first transformers movie how the story would have went and if bay didn't kill off characters so fast and gave good characterization.

2. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    The first movie was a gamble, so they pretty much HAD to wrap it it up and kill Megatron.

But they obviously left room for more and expanded upon it with the second film...so they clearly HOPED the franchise would succeed and carried on accordingly. A point which is further underscored by keeping Megatron ALIVE at the end of the sequel.

Then Bay thought he was done and the franchise would likely reboot afterward so they destroyed Cybertron and killed off all the Decepticons at the end of the third film. Except it broke a BILLION dollars at the box office so, yeah, FUCK THAT, and they started thinking SERIOUSLY about the future of the franchise.

When all this started, the idea of a Marvel Cinematic Universe style runaway success was just a glimmer in Fiege's eye, D.C. wasn't even THINKING of catching up yet, and that ground really just hadn't been broken yet. But by the end of the first TF trilogy the game had changed and IT WAS ON. So Bay and Spielberg sat down and plotted out a few more movies with Kruger and we got TF:AoE.

Then THAT broke a BILLION bucks at the box office and SHIT GOT REAL.

So, here we are, looking forward to at least a few more main continuity movies AND a few spin-offs and POSSIBLY even an interconnected, shared Hasbro-verse or w/e.

Considering how close this franchise was to near-obscurity at the start of it all I'd say they've played their hand pretty well and it's goddamned AMAZING that we're getting a TFCU based on what was basically designed to be a probable one-and-done movie. So that's why some characters were killed off "so fast" and I'm flipping the bird to anyone suggesting the movies didn't "give good characterization."

I hope that answers your question, lol.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ComfyDeathshot

ComfyDeathshot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They never. When these films are written, character and plot comes SECOND to the spectacle and the set pieces; and the robots are just accessories to the latter.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    The idea behind the first film was experimenting with the idea of 'creative consultants' to reimagine Hasbro's brands, which worked so well with Transformers that this is why Lauren Faust got MLP and that currently is probably making more money than Transformers last I checked.

Hasbro immediately then shot their golden goose strategy and we've been stuck in this repetitive holding pattern slowly decaying any concept that the franchise can reinvent itself beyond the one movie continuity.

Because boy that unified story in Aligned concept worked out so well when Hasbro drove it into the fucking ground, eh?

And the only important ones are Bumblebee and Optimus Prime - the statements from NYCC confirm as such.

5. Jazzmustlive123

Jazzmustlive123 jazz died thinking he's the coolest

Thank you but, you have to admit characterization is poorly written but since DOTM it's gotten better.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  6. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan The Sept of Kaon

News Credits:
    I never unstood the "bad guy must die at the end of the movie" mentality. Who's protecting this convention? Think outside of the box ffs, sequel potential or not, send people home with something to wonder about.

I forgive a lot of TF1s missteps, because it was an experiment, and a lot of it turned out very well. But I have no idea why Megatron had to die. He's not Freddy Krueger.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's tough to say since Paramount doesn't really have any experience with cinematic universes. Sure they have done sequels but even then it has never felt like Paramount had a real plan with something like Star Trek just we will just make something up next time if this movie does well. Paramount doesn't feel like a studio with vision but the sort of place to just make it all up as they go along.

But if they had I'm guessing that they wouldn't have killed off Megatron because you have to come up with a load of crap why this character can come back but none of the other characters can ever come back. Hard to say if they would have killed Jazz or not since the robots aren't really seen as characters by the studio and the production team just a special effect.

Although if they were shooting for a cinematic universe you would hope that someone involved would have seen just how insanely easy it would have been to turn NEST into GI Joe. Heck most of the NEST team from the first movie was just a code name away from being GI Joe characters.

So killing off, I think we would have had less. Characterization, no that's just a weak point with the production teams they have had. You'd really need a different team to get characterization because Bay can give you some insane action but he doesn't craft characters.

• Like Like x 1