Bee's Transformation

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Transformers Database, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Pepperonimus

Pepperonimus Casual Fan

News Credits:
    This reminds me of Kubo with paper origami folding stuff, visually pleasing. But definitely didn't work at all with transformers metal stuff.

2. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    A poorly chosen angle perhaps. They really do need to animate these for the camera. There is an art to it, and an element of misdirection always helps. You don't want to be focusing on the magician's hand as they're palming something away, any decent magician tricks you into following their other innocent hand.

Ideally I'd like to see transformations that have been worked back and forth from the design to the altmode to the point they where very little cheating is required, with overall volume retained and a lot of solid elements carried through from one form to the other. Something that can hold up if needs be in showcase transformations in slow-mo with all kinds of wobble and nuance along the way.

Of course it's not impossible to have transformations specifically designed to greatly expand or contract in a mechanically feasible way, but that's not my preference, unless it's something deliberate like a character gimmick.

I agree about that transformation inside the house. It's amusing.

3. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 What to type here?

News Credits:
    Yes, a cartoon designed to sell toys in the 80's is TOTALLY a good measure for transformations. :rolleyes: 

4. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    It's nice to see those two side by side.

Your point is well taken, insofar as it basically comes out of nowhere, although I have to say the new version works for me. It looks robust, and I think the animation sells it. There's a lot of variation in the timing to give it that sense of weight, and a pleasing amount of overlap in the motion.

I just wish the toys could do it as well. It's disappointing to see the studio series and the Masterpiece resort to add-ons. It may be the best option for a visual match, but I always like the idea of heads with moving parts.

5. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus has been found dead in Miami

I'm alright with the new one, I'm just not particularly a fan of it. Thing is it's nowhere near as ingenious as the original, which is the direct causation of why the toys have to partsform it on or have the whole thing sticking out of the back of the head. When you just handwave seemingly impossible designs because the CGI can just cheat it, the toys are gonna suffer for it. Just ask Age of Extinction.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Datsun87

Datsun87 Doomed shuttle casualty

Yes you are right. I apologize. It is just a silly cartoon from the 80's afterall, what possible good could come from using it as a measuring stick for something made in 2018?

7. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 What to type here?

News Credits:
    Is...is this sarcasm? o_O  Sorry I’m REALLY bad at picking up sarcasm.

8. Another Nerd

Another Nerd Member

When it comes to Bee's mask appearing out of nowhere, it very much reminds me of what they've done with Iron Man's helmet/suit ever since the MCU's Phase 1. If you look at some of his suit-up shots, especially when the helmet appears, it looks like some of those parts just...appear. They materialize behind his head, where you can't see.

As much as we dissect Transformer anatomy and parts locations/reorientations from our years and years of experience with the toys, sometimes we just have to shrug off the trickery in the movies.

• Like Like x 3
  9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    I really hate what's become of Iron Man's armour. The first suits from 1 and 2 were and still are the best. Now it's just a bunch of magic CGI shit. It's literally nanotech in IW and it looks like crap. Bumblebee's bullshit transformation and battle mask look positively grounded by comparison.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Datsun87

Datsun87 Doomed shuttle casualty

To be fair, that is pretty accurate for how Tony's later armors work.

• Like Like x 1