Beast Wars

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by perithimus, Apr 15, 2008.

1. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    What are you karazy?!?! Season 3 is a serious step down from 2 unfortunately. It's still good, but not as good.

2. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    BW good, BM bad. Sounds like a laxative commercial doesn't it? :lol 

3. alex_kingdom

alex_kingdom Well-Known Member

I have to disagree, although aspects of Machines flys in the face of what was set up in Wars and the ending of the series basically anmounts to cannoncide I'd definatly give it a look. It is by far the darkest, adult and epic Transformers series out there. Plus sylistically it's by far my favourite TF series ever.

Yours AK

4. transfan_seek

transfan_seek Well-Known Member

hey guys im a massive beast wars fan got all 3 seasons and heaps of the figs
    i got the first disc (of a four disc set )of beast machines and dident really take too well to it
    would you guys recomend getting the rest then??

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Season three felt rushed compared to season two. With all the story arcs coming together I think it should've been a few eps longer. Just to flesh things out. Tigerhawk for example had two eps.

Nothing will ever beat Megs' speech at the end of season two.

I do love Beast machines, but the best way to watch it is to not compare it to Beast Wars. It really is fantastic in it's own rights but compared to Beast Wars is kinda...

6. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As others have stated, Beast Wars starts well and continues to get even better, culminating in Beast Machines, which is my personal favorite series. BM is the the reason I got back into TFs after being away since childhood. Dark settings, helplessness, sorrow, terror, loss, deception, fear, themes of racial genocide and religious fanaticism... hardly your typical kiddie fare. The Edgar Allan Poe "feel" really appealed to me as an adult. Absolutely my favorite TF series, and the last three episodes rank as my favorite TF fiction, bar none.

Some will tell you BM "destroyed" their favorite characters; I'd suggest it opened their heads and let us see them at their worst, pushed far past their mental limits in impossible circumstances... for me, it's the most complete "fleshing out" of characters we've ever had in a series. Rattrap's frustration, Silverbolt's depression and hopelessness, Cheetor being forced to grow and lead, Nightscream's fear/anger, Primal off the deep end, the revelation of Rhinox, and Megatron going from super-villain to fascist dictator. I get why people don't like it, as it is a major change in approach, but for me it's a positive one.

When you do get to Beast Machines, I recommend watching it in "chunks"... like four to eight episodes at a time. This is how I first watched it, and I think it was a factor in making it my favorite show; it feels like a mini-series that way.

The comedy/slapstick approach that has been a part of nearly every series since has not appealed to me; the only other series I have really enjoyed since (Energon) also had a somewhat more serious tone... and is also generally disliked by most of the fandom. Oh well. :lol 

At any rate, enjoy BW... you've got a lot of great episodes ahead of you. Let us know when you get to Code of Hero. :thumb 

7. on_a_warpath

on_a_warpath OAW 2010

I don't like BM because of the maximals STUPID BODIES! If they were gonna be reformatted, should'nt they be given some weaponry?! BW was freackin' AWESOME though!

8. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

I didn't like BM because of the contradictions of characters. For example, why Rattrap had weapon-envy?

9. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What he said!

Beast Machines is intense. The best action and cool use of shadows. And The Vehicon revelations was one of my favorite Beast moments.

10. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    That's a lonely opinion. Well, Don Murphy shares it.

11. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

When they started Beast Wars, it wasn't even going to be a Transformers show - Forward and diTillio had no intention of linking it to what had gone before. Luckily, they soon realised their mistake, and it got better and better. There's some fantastic character development, and the writing overall is probably the best of any TF series in my opinion.

I also loved Beast Machines; although the animation was somewhat stylised for my liking, and I was frankly baffled by the Maximals' ultimate aim, there was again a lot of excellent characterisation, and the dark, hopeless feel of the series was so refreshing (so to speak). I may have disagreed with what the Maximals were trying to do, but the sheer odds they were facing to do it (pretty much literally taking on the world) make for some riveting viewing. And of course, as AMS put it "the Vehicon revelations". Wow.

12. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I forgot that swords, laser disks, electricit distruptors, sonic blasts, explosives and chain lighting aren't weapons.

I agree on both accounts!

*Sets up to finish BW and start BM*

13. soundwave86

soundwave86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The first season was good and a bit childish but hey it's a kids show. It's all goood.

14. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I think you're confusing "light-heatred and comedic" for childish, but it was aimed more at kids in the beginning. BW was a cartoon and really used that to it's advantage.

15. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

it just gets better and better and better and then BM kills it...sorta

16. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    This, all of this.

People often complain about character contradictions, but they're getting the words "evolution" and "contradiction" confused.

17. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    So much truth.

18. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    Beast Wars was amazing, pure and simple. Beast Machines was hard to understand and get into, they didn't even transformed they just "morphed". Some things didn't really make any sense, it was too dark and deviates from Beast Wars too much and destroyed what was originally established between G1 and BW. BM in my opinion was worse than Energon.

19. The Asp

The Asp Angry Old Man

Same thing.

I've watched beast machines, have you?

If so, then you'd know that it wasn't a "deviation" from g1 or bw.

20. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I believe AutobotMarine was referring to the difference in visual representation between transforming and morphing. Rather than the Transformers traditional transforming by mechanical shifting parts, the Maximals in BM transformations was more of a morphing, shape-shifting effect.