Minor/Repaint: Beast Wars Zero/ Prime Crossover - Depthcharge

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by NemesisPrimus, Jun 25, 2014.

1. NemesisPrimus

NemesisPrimus Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This figure is a bit different from what I usually do, (and a completely different take on the character) because not only is it a Beast Wars Zero figure, it is a take on the character if he was in the TFP universe as well,
    so it might need some explaining...

...Now, I had put off doing Depthcharge until the end for a few reasons:

1.) I don't like the character very much.
    2.) I couldn't really think of a body to give him.
    3.) TFCC had recently made an updated figure.

My first attempt at him was a re-use of the Generations Scourge mold, but after some initial trouble I realized that Scourge as Depthcharge has been done before,
    so I saw no point in continuing with that mold. So I sat and thought "What could pass as an underwater vehicle?" and it came to me that TFP Soundwave's body would work as a
    small (one man) submarine or as an "aquatic drone".

Now this version is a TFP re-imagining of him (like Soundwave) I thought that maybe instead of being a brawler like Wheeljack, that maybe he would be a speed fighter like Arcee,
    trading power for strikes (in an underwater fight he would be able to use his turbines to counter the resistance of the water, making him faster and able to his harder than a non-aquatic
    combatant [under water]).

TFP Laserbeak has been painted gold and re-purposed as an alien manta drone (like the shark drone that BW Depthcharge had) and also doubles as a bladed claw weapon. The gun is the secondary gun from Scourge.

Depth Charge is actually from four different figures: TFP Soundwave's body, TFP 1ST. ED. Vehicon head, DOTM Laserbeak's thrusters, and TFP BH Ratchet's hands.

The hands are actually pinned into the thrusters, I used the hot pin removal method to remove the wings from Laserbeak's thrusters and used the hot pin method to pin the hands into one of the pin holes (they swing back to conceal inside the turbines during transformation). And yes, I know that the turbines are noticeable empty on Depthcharge (they housed Laserbeak's wings but now they serve as weapons storage).

Now, I took some liberties with the colors, mainly because if you look at images of him from the show or other (non-comic) artwork, he tends to shift from chrome to some shade of blue.

So I used gold on the face and arms instead of yellow, I kept the color purple to a minimum (It's on the underside of this arms where they connect to the shoulders). Instead of painting the torso chrome I opted to paint it sky blue on the outer shell and pain the interior steel with some parts highlighted with chrome and gold. I kept the shoulders and the back plate dark blue to keep in with the character.

I kept the blades on the turbines red because I couldn't pull them off to paint them without wreaking them and painting them attached
    seemed like it was going to be more trouble than it was worth. Also, I like the red better than the purple.
    I was going to paint the crotch plate blue gold and silver, but that went south so quickly... so many times...so I said "to hell with it" and just painted it dark blue.
    The legs are gold and steel, which were simple enough to do.

Well, I think that's long enough... next up: Rhinox!

Attached Files:

2. TheShockwave48

TheShockwave48 Kinda sorta artist

News Credits:
    Interesting....

3. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

You did a really nice job on it.:thumbs2: 

4. thunder117

thunder117 Magna Defender

Ebay:
    Looks cool, but the question is can any alt mode be achieved from Depth-Charge's mixed body?

5. Jus09

Jus09 Well-Known Member

This actually looks really good. But what's Beast Wars Zero?

6. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    :useless 
    For the alt mode. Show us more, don't just talk, this is looking pretty BA.

7. NemesisPrimus

NemesisPrimus Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Sorry, I forgot how long I went in between posts (I described it last post) BW Zero is a series of BW characters in pre BW bodies, the name serves as a descriptor (before the beast wars) and a dumb pun on Beast Wars Neo.