Beast Wars: The Ascending Issue #4 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Tim Formas, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Veteran

News Credits:
    This thread is for discussion of Beast Wars: The Ascending Issue #4 (The conclusion!). Go pick up the issue, come back, and talk away!

Since this is a discussion on Beast Wars: The Ascending Issue #4, people who have not read this issue yet should be aware that there are likely SPOILERS below. Read at your own risk.

2. Tim Formas

News Credits:
    Wow. The Ascending story itself was pretty good like the rest of the series has been for me. The ending, however, was as good as Simon Furman promised (..."make Beast Wars fans happy").

Spoilers ahoy!

So, they're able to get Shockaract chronically displaced to meet up with Magmatron. Magmatron shows him what he's really being used for (rebirth of Unicron). Shockaract pulls out "Dark Matrix", which presumably destroys Shockaract and puts Magamatron back into the correct time. In the last few pages, you see the Autobot shuttle heading somewhere. In the last frame, Transmetal 2 Megatron is seen looking over the damage on Cybertron. Holy crap!

So, this series essentially happens right before Beast Wars Megatron begins his takeover of Cybertron and probably somewhat explains why it was so easy to take over (Cybertron is not in good shape due to the Almost-Ascending). If IDW continues the Beast Wars mini-series, looks like we'll be getting "Beast Wars: What Happened Between Beast Wars and Beast Machines".

Poor Razorbeast :cry 

3. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

I'm hoping the Beast Wars series continues, I'm liking it a lot. There definitely is still room for a four-parter relating to the rise of Megatron (and it'd be cool to see at least the one show character in this series). As many of the Maximals and Predacons are still on Earth, there's also room for more Maximals to head back there and avoid getting hit by Megs' transformation-lock virus, and thus continue the Beast Wars story on Earth.

I hope that wasn't the end.

4. Tim Formas

News Credits:
    They could easily bring back any of the Maximals that were on the Axalon shuttle, battling Megatron pre-virus. Virus caused memory loss, so it's an easy way to fit them into fighting on Cybertron. Additionally, they could fit in the "Prehistoric humans slingshotted Waspinator back to space" story in to bring Waspinator back for the series as well. Along the way, introduce a pre-Beast Machines Stryka and Obsidian and (gasp) Nightscream. Show Megs' many faiiled attempts to purge himself of his beast mode.

About 10 years ago, who thought the fact that the transformation-lock, amensia-causing virus unleashed by Megatron could lead to such things (assuming we'll get a BW comic mini-series that touches such topics)?

5. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    This was a great end to the series, and I'm glad to see Magmatron get loose of limbo. W00t on Break and Stampy going Targetmaster!

The only thing I'd need a BW-to-BM series to do is explain how the hell Megatron became an organicophobe. That was completely out of character and I think there's a good story potential. Maybe it's like Indiana Jones and he fell in a train car of snakes. Did Cohrada ever have a family? :lol 

6. ssg4life

ssg4life Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i think they set this up on purpose for at least one more beast wars story arc revolving around the rise of megatron. hell, that's actually not even a bad title to give it. i hope they do find a plausible way to get the earth maximals and predacons back to cybertron. or maybe they leave them there for a post-bm/primevil dawn type story where the pack goes back to get the remaining bots. it'd be an easy way to throw in the tm versions of terrorsaur and scorponok as new big bads on earth

7. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    Man. Can't wait to get my copies of the entire mini.

My comics supplier recently told me her entire shipment for September to December got lost in customs, so she had to order everything again. No biggie for me, except for the wait. :( 

So, how was Guido's art?

-airfox

8. red00wolf

red00wolf Insatiable collector

Not so great imo. defanitly pales in comperison to dons. it took away from the story for me still i injoyed the comic and liked the end.

9. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Well from what I'm hearing, I sure as hell hope Ryall let's Shane team up with Furman there for some Beast Machines comicsauce.
    DN

10. avc-prime

avc-prime Well-Known Member

Well just read it and liked it. The art looked great in some pages but cartoony in others, and sometimes the coloring was off too, but this is no surprise by now.

I liked the ending and I hope they make one of my dreams come true and give us megatron's story that we never saw in BM. I also hope they do a BM sourcebook, but lets see what we get right?

11. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    Agreed.

And I thought Guido's art was great- what hurt the book more was how several colorists worked on it, each with different styles. You can tell which pages Josh did and which pages others did.

12. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

I haven't got around to getting this issue yet but I know Guido's art will please me as always. He needs more transformers gigs.

13. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Damn, my shop didn't get this issue this week. This is the second week in a row that Diamond screwed them on TF comics.

14. Ted Kord

Ted Kord Well-Known Member

All I can really say is, (hopefully) no more "angle-moistness!"

15. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As cool as the miniseries was, I can't help feeling it could have been a little better... Seemed to rushed at the end for my liking, and Razorbeast's character was wasted in the end. Still, the final battle with Shokaract was very cool, even though his so-called heralds were underused.

Art was good in some places, bad in others, but I don't think it hampered the story too much. A shame they couldn't get Don to finish it up, but it was a great effort.

16. knight wolf 22

knight wolf 22 Member

i have not gotten this issue yet but i thought the next min could be beast wars II or neo for this timeline. also a spotlight issue on dinobot 2 or rattrap for the "lost" episode dark glass

17. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Did anyone else like the fact that you could see the internal components of Shokaracts optics when he saw that he was being used? I thought that was a nice effect.

Overall it was a nice mini and a great lead in to BM.

18. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I dug the ending.

I miss Don already, but Guido did excellent!

LOVED seeing a cybertronian Tako Tank!

Damn I want that toy

19. avc-prime

avc-prime Well-Known Member

any more info on this lost episode? I heard about it, but I don't know what it really is.

20. knight wolf 22

knight wolf 22 Member