Beast Wars Sourcebook #3 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Tim Formas, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    In the same way you don't need to be a cook for being allowed to say that the soup is salted.

In any regard: THis issue DID suck. I mean, Optimus Primal's motto is "Peace is the absence of conflict and the presence of justice"? The fuck? How about "sometimes crazy works", which is not only something Primal actually SAID on the show, but also used WITHIN THE PROFILE? I mean, a motto isn't supposed to be just something a character said at one point in his life. A motto is something the character is actually FOLLOWING.

Don still has no idea what animals look like. His version of Optimus Primal's "ape" mode looks like the Disney version of a gorilla. And the bat form reminds me of Gargoyles.

Rhinox has an equally stupid motto: "Power in Defense of freedom will always triumph over power used for evil".

Seriously, did Ben and Simon use a motto-o-meter for creating these?

Panther's robot mode pose is amazingly bad.

Robby Musso's beast mode for Polar Claw also looks horrendous, but at least he actually gives him a sensible roboto mode pose that almost qualifies for a model sheet pose.

In contrast, Scissor Boy is almost a classic "You stole my purrrrse" Beast Wars pose.

Hell, forget the "editor" bit - the quality of Simon Williams' art is inconsistent in ITSELF. There's good stuff like Scylla (if you ignore the pose of her feet which implies she's flying), Scavenger or Sea Phantom - and then there's Shadow Panther, Ravage, Rhino and Santon.

And making Magnaboss-Prowl an upgraded from of G1 Prowl and then Transmetal Prowl the same entity as Binaltech Prowl... ergh. I'm surprised Ben didn't actually try to make Beast Wars Megatron actually G1 Megatron who just doesn't remember he's the same. Wouldn't have surprised me either.

Seriously, the entire IDW Beast Wars Profile Books read like a bad fanfic declared official canon. Ben Yee's Beast Wars has about as much to do with the actual show(s) and toyline(s) as Bodycount's idealized version of Superlink.

2. red00wolf

red00wolf Insatiable collector

wheres sonar soundwave snapper and scourge?! are they continuing with the s'es in the next book?

3. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    QFT. Personally I love this collection. I didn't get a whole lot of TFs growing up, and the only show BW toys I ever got were TM Primal and TM2 Dinobot. Seeing those few characters I did have finally get a little bit of character development, background, and artwork just for them is awesome (ESPECIALLY those Happy Meal toys).
    DN