Beast Wars Ongoing Announced

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ezim93, Oct 9, 2020.

1. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    He still has to build relationships with Maximals who'll understandably be skeptical of him. Those conflicts will shape his arc as well.

Also, nobility aside...his methods will likely still put him in conflict with Primal.

• Like Like x 2
  2. dinobot1

dinobot1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dinobot has what he calls “predacon honor” at the beginning of the show. He’ll blind Optimus Primal when he shows mercy to him, but he won’t let a cliff interfere with the fight. He’ll also feel compelled to owe someone if they helped him previously. When I say that he gains “noble qualities,” I mainly mean that he’ll show concern for others and put their lives over his own. This contrasts with the beginning of the show where he wanted Megatron to destroy the Axalon.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

Agreed, but I don't think Megatron even has "Predacon honour", which is where they differ and were always going to butt heads. Dinobot wanted to destroy the Maximals BECAUSE of his honour. Taking out your enemy in battle is honourable. Megatron wanted to "play with his food". Megatron enjoys toying with others. If I had to guess, I don't think Dinobot would have broken the truce with the Maximals had he remained a Predacon in the season 1 finale. Dinobot lives by a code. It isn't a Maximal code, it's a predacon code, but a code none-the-less. None of the other predacons have this code though, and this code likely would have resulted in the inevitable betrayal of Megatron anyway.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    Bingo. Dinobot is kind of an asshole throughout Season 1, repeatedly attempting power grabs and insisting that the correct means of doing pretty much anything is the most violent and destructive way because that's all he ever really knew as a Predacon. He only starts to develop a real moral code as the series goes on-- you can see this in Gorilla Warfare where he forces himself to stop and assess how Optimus, in his right mind, would handle the situation, and maintains vigil over him as he recovers from the events of the episode. That being said, I think they're on the right track already. Dinobot is only against killing Under-3 because Terrorsaur is deliberately wasting time and effort on someone who poses no meaningful threat anyways. Scorponok agrees with him, he just goes for the more lethal straightforward route because their squabbling was only eating up even more time they needed to abscond with the Golden Disk.

• Like Like x 6
  5. dinobot1

dinobot1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A lot of great points. I’ll just add that I don’t think this comic should wait too long for Dinobot’s inevitable defection. Having a former Predacon at the beginning gave the show an interesting perspective for the Maximals to contend with.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

I think that matches up with the original Dinobot's code as well. See, Predacon Honour is about proving POWER. Killing, conquering, etc are good thing when they demonstrate power. Killing something that proves no challenge does not demonstrate power. Allowing your opponent to die from bad luck does not demonstrate power. So killing Under-3, who has no means of fighting back, is not a demonstration of power, and therefore not honourable. In fact, Dinobot would call it cowardice. It would mean that you find Under-3 to be a threat, that you fear his life for some reason.

• Like Like x 3
  7. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    Dinobot is above all else a warrior, and would rather right in combat to kill his foe than to see a helpless prisoner be executed. The opening scene is just the first in what will show how different of view he has from the other Predacons and that most Predacon codes of honor were actually non-existent.

This story might also play up that Dinobot also has come to have many misconceptions about Maximals (like when he woke up that one time after being knocked out and thought he had been placed in a "Maximal Torture Chamber" only to be told by Rattrap that the Maximals don't have those). The show played up in Season 1 often how Dinobot viewed Maximals just as another side of the same coin with the only real difference being the Maximals like Primal being too soft, to which he eventually learned there are far more nuances between the two in the conflict. The comic should have more time to delve into all of that, too.

• Like Like x 3
  8. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I think the fact that Dinobot had some type of honor to begin with was what helped him gradually grow more of a moral code in the original series because it allowed him to think more carefully about where he was going with his life and how his viewpoint was challenged by being with the Maximals. He eventually realized that while having honor is a noble thing it wasn't going to matter much if he didn't also understand the difference between being a warrior from either factions and actually being a hero.

I think that's also another reason why Dinobot's arc was so compelling. Out of all the BW characters in the original show he had the most reflection of what does it mean to be actually noble hearted and how life doesn't always give out the easiest answers even if one lives a life of honor. While being a Maximal certainly helped in that journey I think even then it wasn't enough for him to fully grasp the question that was eating him up inside.

So I'm pretty excited on how the new Ongoing will tackle that especially if it gets to explore areas of his character that wasn't explored in the original show.

• Like Like x 3
  9. SpiderMunky

SpiderMunky Half-spider, half-munky

After Protoform X, I have my doubts.

10. Darth Gonzo

Darth Gonzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope Quackles is in the story as the Rubber Ducky.

11. GizmoTron

Ebay:
    He was just an experiment that went horribly wrong. The Maximals never tortured him, and instead of destroying him they still were going to find a nice remote spot and dump him off in peaceful stasis forever. But of course, the Maximals have some secrets, too.

12. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    To be perfectly blunt, the reason they didn't destroy them was less out of empathy and more because they couldn't. Indestructible spark and all that.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GizmoTron

Ebay:
    I think Depth Charge would disagree on whether or not it could be done. There was a way.

14. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    After reading the interview.. we may not even see Dinobot defect. If it’s “Ultimate Beast Wars” they can do whatever they want. I want to see different things happening. I’d love to see G1 Silverbolt, Prowl, and Ironhide show up (as guest stars) and become Magnaboss. I want to be surprised and not retread what I watched on TV. What is very nice is that while reading the preview pages, the voices just pop in my head so naturally. I can’t wait until tomorrow!

• Like Like x 3
  15. GizmoTron

Ebay:
    Well it may not happen right a way, and likely won't happen the same way, but given the future cover layouts it seems pretty likely Dinobot is going to end up on Team Maximal.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Trooper028

Trooper028 Well-Known Member

To be honest they might have tortured him. They had to test out his spark's "indestructibility" some how.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly with the Maximal government doing stuff like restricting information/history and treating the Predacons as second-class citizens, I wouldn't put it past them.

• Like Like x 3
  18. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    We don't know that the Maximals didn't torture Rampage. Only that they experimented on him. There's been a lot of implications that the Maximals have their share of less then principled characters that have no problems going low as most of the Predacons. The comic can finally show us if the implications are indeed true.

Pretty much this.

• Like Like x 3
  19. omegafix

omegafix Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    Just read the entire issue. The story was great but man i do not like the art one bit

20. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    They don't have to, but it's such a great aspect of the original that it'd be worth exploring more in the extended format a comic provides.