Beast Wars Ongoing Announced

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ezim93, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Hmm. All the talk of new characters, but not much mentioned about how their gonna treat the already known and beloved characters? I'm putting on my skeptical pants for this. I sense potential for . . . well, let's point the needle somewhere around not good, maybe slightly towards, mediocre.

2. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    What do you want them to say? Everybody already knows them so all the questions are going to he the new stuff.

More likely than people think. If Hasbro had no interest in making a toy they'd likely have signed off on a more unique/original design.

I would've loved even a subline of pre-Earth BW. Had been hoping that was what Netflix was gonna do. But alas.

Literal dalmatian or *I* riot.

This person gets it. *High five*

It's either going to be a slow burn with the differences, or they're going to slap us across the face with something big right up front. But by the end of the year I'm hoping this won't just be the original story with a few new/toy characters crowbarred in.

If we get Torca, there'd better be at least a few new Fuzors, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  3. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I do hope "more where she came from" means "we're gonna use all those awesome old toys and designs people grew up with and loved and have longed to finally see DO SOMETHING" and less "OC do not steal".

• Like Like x 2
  4. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    It likely means both. Just like what we saw in previous IDW TF comics.

5. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    Either way, patience is key. Said it before and I'll say it again: The great flaw of The Gathering, especially The Ascending, and Uprising come Derailment is that it tried to throw all of its characters at the audience at once, meaning that very few people actually remember many of the characters from those installments. There's Razorbeast and Magmatron in the case of the former, but those are the only ones I can think of that most people really remember from that book (though speaking personally I did like its take on Spittor as the resident overconfident punching bag.) Derailment aside though, Uprising had the right idea by giving different groups of characters time to breathe. I'm fairly positive that toyline-original characters are going to show up, but they just have to be careful about how many are going to show up at a time. Fingers crossed for a long run-- that way, the comic can drip-feed these characters in and we get to see the Maximals and Predacons grow from tiny militias to full-blown armies.

• Like Like x 2
  6. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    I'm hoping the early reference to Tripredacus means they'll have a bigger (and eventually front-row) role, and that being present means we'll see the equivalent Maximal council. Conceptually both combiners were really interesting ideas and I'd love to see them get some play time on the page.

Dunno if I like "full blown armies" if the comic remains on the planet we're all currently assuming is Earth. The original managed to deliver a solid conclusion even with it's small cast. So if they can find ways to cycle different pockets of characters over time so things are "large" yet focused that'd be nice. Ideally I want things to go well enough that we get spinoffs around other stories that can include more toy/new characters so we don't have a situation where the new faces (original or not) start to overwhelm the primary ongoing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    His point is that we just assume the old characters are, well, the old characters and not brand new (weaker) characters in familiar names and bodies.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Why does it matter? People are just going to do what they always do and not give this book a chance because it's not how they want it to be as soon as it starts. They're already looking for reasons to not like the book and it's not even out yet.

• Like Like x 7
  9. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I for one can’t wait for it. I dropped the new IDW comics out of boredom, but I’m really excited for this.

• Like Like x 2
  10. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    Same. I haven't bought a comic book in...decades? But the BW revival on top of a few hints at something different to come and a timely desire to do SOMETHING to help the local comic shop has me motivated.

They'll say that regardless how the comic actually plays out. Hell, they'll say it about toy characters who never were in the show. Because they claim they want to see them featured but aren't ready for them to get characterizations they don't like (because in their head the character is a different way).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Mattymo

Mattymo Banned

News Credits:
    hope you didn’t drop it because characters stand around and talk because that’s how Burnham writes his comics. Standing around and talking

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  12. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

To me, beast wars always had a star trek vibe, which at its best had lots of standing and talking.

I'm okay with this, as long as it is interesting talking.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I find it ironic that you’re criticizing people for not giving the book a chance yet you’ve already decided what the criticisms will be and that they’re invalid.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Mattymo

Mattymo Banned

News Credits:
    Im the same way as long as it’s good dialogue and the story is interesting that’s what matters and that’s why I personally like the new IDW-verse. I think it’s very interesting. However I’m not a fan of Burnham as a writer. I don’t like his writing on ghostbusters at all and I was very unimpressed with TF/GB. First two issues solid, third issue I started seeing the cracks and going “what the hell is happening?” And by the final issue it just reminded me of ghostbusters. Strong opening, mucky middle and by the end it just fizzles out. I hope that’s not the case with beast wars but I am excited

15. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Except I've actually seen people make those criticisms of this book, so I find it ironic that you are trying to call me on some percieved slight when I am merely stating an observation I have made

• Like Like x 3
  16. Mattymo

Mattymo Banned

News Credits:
    there’s almost one post per page of someone shitting in this book too

• Like Like x 4
  17. Chromecannon

Chromecannon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm keen on a new female Transformer. I love Chromia, but if I have to see one more character with her body type...

Since I dropped off following the current main series monthly, I'm hoping this can fill that void. As long as it's faster paced than the main title and less obsessed with world-building that doesn't add to the story, it'll be a nice contrast.

When it comes to licensed comics, Boom Studios' Power Rangers comics have replaced Transformers in terms of quality for me, and I hope Beast Wars is something that puts the franchise back on the map.

18. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    It's almost like people have gotten exasperated with IDW's subpar output as of late or something and are just expecting more of the same. I'm not saying whether people are right or wrong for dismissing this based on whatever, but I get where it may be coming from.

• Like Like x 3
  19. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    Then stop reading/buying the comics. Clearly whatever they're doing is working or they'd stop doing it and pivot to something else. Griping on a forum isn't going to change a damn thing.

Especially about a comic that none of us have read yet.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, I haven’t bought dead tree comics since 2008... I’ve kept up with stories online, and eventually started using comixology and went digital, while buying TPB collections of the ones I really love for my bookshelf. My bookshelf is mostly 80’s and 90’s Marvel epic collections, though. :lol 

I quit because the first twelve issues were just boring. They focused so much on work building and just doing nothing.

I love Star Trek. I don’t mind the standing and talking as long as it’s entertaining. I love characterization. But the IDW2 didn’t have a whole lot of that.. the characters all felt flat..