Beast Wars Masterpiece Blackarachnia MP46

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by oku, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Accept no imitations

News Credits:
    Well...i think I've done it and if I have... man this is terrible. Any tips? What have I done wrong? I REALLY hope I've done something wrong.

IMG_20191211_184742867.jpg IMG_20191211_184748876.jpg IMG_20191211_184759687.jpg

There is no chance of her ever standing on her spider legs, they are so loose! Nothing tabs together securely at all, it's a loose unstable mess tbh.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 9999eachhit

9999eachhit Well-Known Member

I suppose how far the arms are angled comes to personal preference. Personally, I do the squeezing technique I mentioned and then leave them where they lay. Leaves the arm "flush" against the body. So I suppose that means I prefer "close against the spider".

• Like Like x 1
  3. 9999eachhit

9999eachhit Well-Known Member

In terms of getting her to stand in spider mode, I've found that you can make a mostly stable base using the front two and back two legs. Notice the black piece the legs are socketed into. Front and back are protruding more than the rest. This allows you to balance those 4 legs against their socket when the black piece is pushed against the body. Takes minor finesse to get them all balanced, but once you do the spider can stand regardless of how loose those sockets are.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

Looks just about right to me. Only tip is to play with it more, use the anchor/string to danger her from something, work out how to attach her to the web (note, it is a pain at first). I found once i posed her a bunch I enjoyed what she had to offer in beast mode and learned to enjoy it. It'll never make the top of my list of best beast modes, but I'm happy with her.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    It's awful... truly awful. Even the tabs I haven't broken don't tab securely, the legs are loose as hell and regardless it looks like garbage. Back to robot mode and never again I reckon.

6. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you feel that way. I'd give it a few days before rendering a final judgement, it may grow on you. It may not.

What tabs don't secure? THe robot legs into the back panel tabs strongly for me, as does the armpit tabs, the robot "hands" tabs, all work pretty well. Those hold together the beast mode well enough for me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    I don't think I'll change my opinion as the beast mode cannot stand and I see no way of making it do so without a lot of varnish/polish application. What possibility there is is rendered useless as soon as you start manipulating it and the whole thing stats to 'transform'.
    The tab on the back of the 'abdomen' that should hold the head in place, obviously the tab I've broken that holds the back plane in place, the tab on the gun that attaches to the crotch, the knees ones are 'ok' but are the legs/feet really mean to splay out like that? And whats with the faux eye/crotch piece, is it really meant to just hang out of the bottom of the spider-mode like that? The whole thing feels unfinished.

I really love the robot mode and will be totally happy displaying it like that... but the transformation and beast mode are so frustratingly garbage that I actually threw it in the wastepaper bin a couple of times because I'd had it! I'm gonna go calm down lol.

Edit: Having fiddled a bit more I have a slightly more solid but ultimately disappointingly unable to stand spider... no wonder they included the stand.

IMG_20191211_195949920.jpg IMG_20191211_200003069.jpg IMG_20191211_200418285.jpg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  8. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

Try out the stand. I actually love posing her on the stand, I think it looks really great.

9. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    I have tried out the stand... it doesn't fix the problem though does it, the figure should be able to stand on unaided IMO. The stand itself is fine, I like the web effect a lot. The arm and base are fairly basic and quite lazy reuse of existing parts.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    My spider-mode is rock solid and can stand just fine on its own legs. I'm not sure how yours is so bad, these tabs are pretty damn secure.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Swoop

Swoop Well-Known Member

We really need some kind of sticky thread with links to videos or text guides like this, to avoid them getting buried.

• Like Like x 1
  12. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    Now in 1st post.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    So how do you get it to stand? Seriously I'm looking for advice here! Making it stand has nothing to do with tabs surely? My tabs hold together ok but the whole besast mode feels unstaable. The ball joints at the tops of the legs are so weak on mine they hold no weight at all.

Seriously I want to know because that and the general looseness of the alt-mode is killing it for me. I cant even attach the 'anchor' securely because there nothing stopping the arms disappearing bad into the spider body.

14. Render

Render I’m all kinds of nerd.

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    People shouldn’t be so stressed that they can’t make her stand only on the tips of her spider legs. I firmly believe that she’s designed to rest on her belly along with her spider feet—if you look at all the promotional pictures, bar one, where she’s propped on top of rocks, you’ll see that she’s always displayed resting on her belly.
    I also feel like the kibble underneath kind of gives off the illusion that she’s coming off the floor. Given that, it IS possible to carefully pose her floating off the ground with her front and back legs, EVEN with loose joints, but I’m just saying don’t sweat it and stress out over it if you can’t get her to do it. She’ll still look good “standing” there regardless.

15. crazee928

crazee928 Well-Known Member

i mentioned this earlier in the thread, but you can swing the black piece that all the spider legs connect to outwards so it’s more parallel to the table which will allow you to prop the body up. here’s a picture of what i mean:

100F14EF-C172-46D7-BF56-61D673990FA6.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  16. ElekTriC

ElekTriC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    mistransformed that way right ...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    OK 'panic' over, I have managed to make her stand, It seems you have to do some finagling of the back legs and use the knee joints a lot more that you'd expect to hold it there... it still doesn't feels super stable but at least it can be done. I'm still really underwhelmed by the spider-mode. It's not just the stability, which all things considered is pretty understandable, it's the overall look of it. Those knees, calves and feet are just THERE, as are the robot arms, then theres that whole midsection... unlike the other BWMPs there no angle you can look at this and not see it. I was one of those people thinking "it'll look better in hand' but this has had the opposite effect for me. Everything about this alt-mode screams 'after thought' to me.

IMG_20191211_210131157.jpg IMG_20191211_210155627.jpg

I'll be going back to the bloody excellent robot mode tomorrow morning and will likely not return to spider mode much if ever so it's not a 'big deal' but as far as BWMPs go this is without question the least successful. What I have loved about the rest is they're two action figures in one and have really great presence and character in both modes. I'm sure I can squeeze some out of this alt-mode and will try to in the morning but I'm feeling distinctly meh about it.

Yeah thanks for the info but that breaks the sculpt and that's a no no for me.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

Sorry you feel that way. I have personally really enjoyed playing with the spider-mode, but again, I basically only display it on the web or dangling. Having that little touch of added authenticity somehow makes the spider-mode look better to me. Viewing it from above definitely does a lot to hide a bunch of the problems, in my opinion. Not all, but a bunch. It also let's you do much more interesting things with the legs, and use the front legs for more interesting poses, which greatly increaed my enjoyment.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  19. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    She does look better on the web but not amazing IMO, also the fact you have to connect her via the anchor is a total ball-ache. It's either pretty poor design or another after thought.

20. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

It was the first time, but I've gotten better at it. I also like how she looks dangling from the string cause you can do cool poses with the legs that way as well. And yeah, you aren't going to get amazing out of it, but I find it pretty good when played the right way. I like it.