3D Artwork: Beast Wars Fan Art

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by czacen, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Wow! That's a good Dinobot.

2. czacen

czacen Art-Con

Thanks Gryph. Done with the updates to the groin, knees and sword. c&c most welcome as always. Moving the updated image here.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. soymonk

soymonk Mathematical!

News Credits:
    Now that's full of win! Love the details on his shin guards, man. Well done!

4. OhSlag!

OhSlag! Well-Known Member

The shin guards are amazingly detailed but I feel they lack a slight robotic touch to them, maybe some more blue metal... otherwise, complete perfection from my point of view (biggest BW Dinotbot fan ever)

5. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

Very awesome, did you omit the beast head's pupils on purpose? Also is it possible to get darker stripes across its skin like in the show? Otherwise it looks incredible! Was there any particular reason you changed the bone clasps on his abdomen into metal ones?

6. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    As mentioned, maybe he needs a dark area for his pupils/eyes in his beast head--not just white, I don't remember his head with white 'eyes'... and a little more color striping would be good too.. otherwise an amazing piece of art! :thumb  :thumb  :thumb 

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Dinobot never had pupils on his beast mode eyes in robot mode.

That is fantastic! Keep the shin-guards as-is. The best part of the BW designs was the non-robotic details in robot mode.

8. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Looks good but I do have a couple notes for this one.

The shin guards look like one giant oddly shaped fused together bone. It should look more like a rib cage. That doesn't really make sense sense it's around his legs but that's more how the animation model actually looked. The ribs that are actually around his chest also should look more like bones and less like robotic structures.

Here's a good picture for reference.
    [​IMG]

Finally I feel like the rest of the model is super detailed but then it kinda falls flat at the head. Perhaps it's because of the blank expression on his face, giving him an open mouth snarl might fix that problem.

These are rather small details though, I'd be happy just to get a different expression on his face and leave the rest as it is.

9. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

That BW Dinobot is magnificent. I like it! :thumb 

10. czacen

czacen Art-Con

wow thanks everyone that's some excellent feedback. So far to sum up it would seem like i need to re-address a few issues raised here:
    1) The stripes are not distinct enough to be noticed on the dino skin bits.
    2) The bone shin guards need to either be more mechanical or more like rib cage bones.
    3) Face and head needs a bit more detailing.

The bone clasps on the chest were converted to machine bits to balance out the level of organic parts and inorganic parts. Also in a way to pay homage to the toy, I added the dino arms to the chest and the tail attachment part to the back. This seemed like it needed some machinery to attach to and so I replaced the bone with machine. Check the image below:

back_markup.jpg

*the upper picture might look deformed/skewed but that's due to the pose*

Just out of interest, I did try out the more show-accurate look on the legs earlier but found them to be lacking something necessary to the character. An early test render/wip is attached below. I then did some re-thinking about how the object exists on the toy, and figured that this may be what Mainframe wanted to do but were held back by hardware constraints of the day. So I ended up with something that's a fusion of the toy and TV model. Check out the evolution pic:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

Regardless its still friggin amazing pal. In regards to the head, I always likened it to the design of the Principal Office in Reboot. I always thought there was a lot in common between them, maybe its just me. After seeing your leg design, is it possible to make the bones more tessellated along with the other ridges? I feel as though it would add more to it rather than just be a grooved mass of bone. Also the shoulder joints kind of stand out to me, is it not possible to join them up with muscle like in the screen shot SaberPrime provided? One thing I felt that the BW aesthetic really invoked was Guyver and that based a lot off muscle anatomy, etc.

12. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well you see, up here in Canada, we quite adore woman with hairy legs...

13. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Speak for yourself.

14. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I dunno, I still like the boney shin guards as is. That and the brilliant reimagining of the ribs as "tracks" for the dino arms to swing around are perfect. Changes that work.

This I agree with. It didn't stand out on Optimus, but there's a few too many visible joints. Something about the visible joints in the shoulders and elbows makes Dinobot look... not weak, but not as strong, especially when he has relatively tough looking joints in the legs.

15. TFormerfan

TFormerfan Maximal

they all look great you should do rattrap :) 

16. Traachon

Traachon The battle takes to the sky with Cyberjets!

I am utterly speechless. These look simply spectacular!
    Primal looks a little simple compared to Dinobot, but that's because the details are covered in fur, so never mind.
    Awesome work on Dinobot, I love that tail attachment and the back detail in general! I can't wait to see what else you've got up your sleeve... (No pressure! :D )
    Once again, outstanding work!

17. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

After reading this post my opinion has changed slightly. Forgive me for altering the quote, it's just really long and I only wanted to address a specific parts of it individually.

In regards to the shins I think the "robotic" look is more how it should of been. You had the separated "ribs" in that version but in the organic version the ribs got fused together. Like if you could combine the two so it has the bone texture instead of the metal texture but still retains the shape of the "robotic" look. I like the bone texture there because it does look like they meant to have bones around his legs I just don't like how it looks like everything is fused together in the bone picture.

The same could also be said of his sword which is suppose to be able to spin at each vertebra and the way it is now it looks like the entire bone structure is fused together so it can't bend as a tail let alone spin as a sword. Don't change the texture, I love the bone look, just add the lines between each vertebra so they look like separate bones instead on one giant bone.

Also after seeing that picture I kind of want just the crotch piece to be mechanical because... well... have you seen Dirk Dinobot. I kinda want that image erased from my mind and the bone structure on his crotch doesn't help.

After seeing that I kinda like the machine parts there but kinda would like to see it with a rib cage rendered there just for comparison.

18. Koolimus Prime

Koolimus Prime Weapons Expert

I'm glad you cropped the third image...

19. czacen

czacen Art-Con

Hi guys, sorry for the drop off. Was a hectic week at work, and had some other stuff to catch up on this weekend. Did a quick modification to the dinobot shin parts incorporating some of the feedback. I am eager to move ahead so I might just leave dinobot this way for the time being and pick a new character. Please leave your votes here for who I should tackle next. (Remember cast of episode 1 and 2 only) I have an updated image here:

EDIT: Moved to next page with further updates.

20. OhSlag!

OhSlag! Well-Known Member

It looks exactly like ribs with flesh in between them. I still would have preferred some blue metal since they are robots and don't have flesh. But this is still fantastically amazing!

I would love to see your take on Waspinator as he was quite the plump and odd shaped character. Or since you did such an awesome job on primal's fur I'd love to see Rattrap