Heavy/Scratch: Beast Wars Dinobot robot mode improved WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by LizardbotHero, Apr 27, 2013.

1. LizardbotHero

LizardbotHero I am a warrior

Ebay:
    This is my first post to the Radicons page...

First off, I LOVE Dinobot, both the character and the toy. While the original toy has its flaws, I like to think it has a certain vintage charm about it. And I think we can admit it was certainly ahead of its time compared to its predecessors. I was never all that particular about toys being "show accurate", especially since the first generation Beast Wars characters were modeled after the toys, not the other way around. That being said, I have always wanted figures from the first season that better resemble the show characters.

My goal with this project is to improve Dinobot's robot mode. It will be non-transforming, but hopefully be more proportional and streamlined.

So far, this is what I've done:
    -Cut down the shoulders and fixed them to the sides of the body
    -Shaved down the heel spurs to be less bulky
    -Removed the piece that the tail attaches to and shaved down the back nub
    -Shaved off the 6th "finger" and added wrist articulation
    -Cut down the raptor head and affixed it to the chest

I plan to:
    -Fill in the holes on the sides and the screw holes in the front, as well as sculpt the top of the raptor head to blend with the neck area
    -Sculpt the shoulder pads
    -Detail the head and cut off the "battle mask" nubs
    -paint and detail

Any comments, criticism, and suggestions welcome!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

Great work!

3. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closeted otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  4. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks great, Are you going to paint it up like the show, following the mods it would look fantastic.

5. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

I'm working on something similar to this, in a way. Looking awesome. :) 

6. gawddammit

gawddammit Rocketchoochoo

News Credits:
    Awesome job. It looks loads better already.

7. LizardbotHero

Ebay:
    Thank you!

Whoa, those look incredible! Especially the TM2 version. I've never seen those before. Any chance they are on a site I can understand? Still, they make great reference pictures, especially for his head, which will help a lot. Thank you!

Thank you! I do plan to paint him up, as well as add some detail like the "ribs" and "spine", and possibly a new head. I'm a complete novice at sculpting though so we'll see how it goes...

Sweet! Can't wait to see what you're doing. After Dinobot, I plan to tackle Rhinox, Blackarachnia, Cheetor, and TM Rattrap (in no particular order). I wish I could make them transformable, but one step at a time. :) 

Thanks!

8. LizardbotHero

Ebay:
    I'm not really going for a completely accurate show model, as there are elements from both the show version and the toy version I really like. He will most likely end up a blend between the two. I also want him to be poseable for displaying in different positions.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Great start. I still think the original mould better matches the show than the Henkei simply because of the proportions, and you proved that. With the kibble toned back he looks great, and with a little sculpting stuff to fill in the gaps and cuts he'll be perfect. I would suggest maybe thinking of extending the midsection just a bit since it's kind of squat looking now. Or maybe that's just the colours of the original toy obscuring the shape.

10. LizardbotHero

Ebay:
    Thanks a lot for the comment. I think you're right about the body being too squat looking. The problem with the original version is that the shoulders were set too high (almost halfway above the head), so when I dropped them down it made the whole body look smaller. I had thought about trying to extend the body and shorten the lower legs so the proportions remain the same. I really love how big his arms look now!

11. DMcB360

DMcB360 Radicon G2

oh man this is right up my alley. I cant help but often imagen improved beast wars designs. (MP TM megatron in the future. watch for it!)

i cant wait to see some colour on it if even just some touch ups. keep er comin!

12. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    I love what you've done so far. Keep up the great work!

13. LizardbotHero

Ebay:
    Sorry for resurrecting a zombie thread. I sort of forgot about this guy until I found him buried in a box a few days ago (I've moved 2 or 3 times since I started it). Anyway, I wasn't sure how much I wanted to work on it what with the new MP Dinobot coming out soon and all, but I found myself unable to scrap it. I had a boring night at work so I sculpted a new chest. It's still very rough and I'll have to shape it more once the apoxie cures, but it looks better than just pasting the stock head to the chest. The more I looked at this figure then more I realized just how disproportionate the legs are. He could definitely use some beefier upper legs, so I may try finding suitable replacements, or else sculpt new legs entirely. Not sure what I'm going to do next or how far I'm going to take it, but I figured I'd share a pic for the heck of it.

Edit: sorry for the sideways pics. I'll fix it later when I'm more awake.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2