Beast Machines DVD Press Release

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sol Fury, Aug 11, 2014.

1. PredaConvoy

PredaConvoy Rogue Tripredacus Agent

Hear hear! I already own the UK box set of Beast Machines on DVD... What I really want is the complete Beast Wars and Machines on (Susan)Blu Ray! C'mon, let's join the 21st century! Plus it's an HD format named after the series voice director! ;) 

Also, RavageX-9, your avatar is awesome. It bends my mind how well G2Con and Vehicon fit together..

2. SpinalCord

SpinalCord Banned

... right. I said my descriptive words for BM, he said BW did it first and better, so I applied them to BW and said nah... not sure what your point is.

Although I do have to say on second thought, Beast Wars was very innovative... animal alt. forms and new characters. It was definitely a fresh show... BM just took it to the next level and brought in fan criticism (TRUKK NOT MUNKY) and addressed it in the story. The show was very conscious of itself, unlike any other Transformers show except for Animated.

3. Galvacron 3

Galvacron 3 Well-Known Member

I see comments saying how BM is so dark, deep, and political. I can see that but my problem with it is it's just too weird for me. Why did The Oracle make Primal obsess over organic life and in the end make Cybertron a technorganic planet? Why Nightscream? Noble/Savage? Rattrap?

The character designs were too weird though I do admit it had some interesting concepts. (if executed poorly)

Personally in my headcanon BM never happened and ended with Beast Wars.

4. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

I didn't like Beast Wars all that much. A lot of the dialogue and action scenes came off as kind of corny and there was too much comedy for my liking. Beast Machines, on the other hand, was like a revelation. It took everything I didn't like about Beast Wars and replaced it with pure awesomeness. Everything just had a more serious tone to it. To each their own.

I'm definitely looking forward to this set.

5. Prime'06

Prime'06 Well-Known Member

When it comes to BW or BM and being released on blu-ray... the only benefits would be less discs and depending on how many episodes per DVD, less to no compression (however the benefits of this depend solely on the source material used).

Regarding either series in HD... the same rules that apply to an HD remaster of ReBoot also apply here. A true remaster (ala Star Trek TNG, or even better than that given things would be re-rendered, textures probably recreated in HD) would take tons of time (locate all models, audio and other assets from the archives, convert old model format to new and/or create new models that are similar enough to the originals, setup cameras as they were in the show, account for 16:9 if they didn't keep it 4:3 for whatever reason),... and more importantly money.

6. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    Underrated show. I will always fondly remember the "who is the 3rd spark" debate and rumors.

7. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Accept no imitations

News Credits:
    In my headcanon it all ended with Beast Machines (on the TV and movie screens at least) and everything since has not been 'proper' Transformers, just rehashes of the same tired ideas over and over with no sense of jeopardy or levity and no real end or resolution in sight. Each to their own :) 

8. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

For someone who professed how much he disliked the show you sure are trying too hard to make sure everyone knows you hate it.

It's called making a legitimate mistake. No, not the show, Optimus Primal made an honest-to-god mistake. The guy was so desperate he didn't think to stop and think about what he was doing (and the clincher is Cheetor knew it was wrong then). It didn't hurt that Tankor pushed him off the cliff.

9. Reask

Reask Predacon

This is one of the few complete sets we already have in the UK. For what it's worth I still look back a bit fondly toward Beast Machines, definitely not as good as Beast Wars but still enjoyable. One of my favourite scenes was in the episode where the Hate Plague from G1 returned and Optimus and Megatron had a silent philosophical battle in Megatron's chambers.

My biggest grip with the series was the designs, especially Optimus's. I know he's Primal and not a Prime at all, but you still cannot be allowed to have an Optimus design without the helmet we've seen before on Optimus Prime, Star Saber and Optimus Primal. Now Primal looks, bald.

Still I liked it, guilty pleasure if nothing else. Shame that this was the last of the G1 franchise we got before it was rebooted. It's follow up Transtech sounded excellent, the return of Shockwave who apparently was killed by Unicron in the movie and Depth Charge's resurrection would've be really cool to see. Although that stupid Optimus Prime truck design with an Ape's face on it needed to go. XD

10. Keldroc

Keldroc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No sense of levity? That's pretty much all Transformers Animated is, to a fault.

11. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

Sorry, but people just don't get HD. Every time it's brought up I try to inform them why G1 could get an HD release, while shows like BW BM can't because they were rendered in SD.

This was the major draw back in the transintional period when shows moved from film to digital production. To get Beast Wars in HD, the show would have to be totally remade from begining to end.

If Shout says that redubbing Japanese G1 is to expensive..... re-rendering a whole series is WAY more costly. So I don't see it ever happening.

12. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Accept no imitations

News Credits:
    Yeah you are right, I meant quite the opposite but my mind must have been wired wrong at the time...I guess the word should have been weight or gravity.

I watched all of animated and enjoyed it quite a lot, but it did feel rather throw away. I doubt I'll ever seriously watch it all again. Where as I do so regularly with Beast Wars through to Beast Machines.

13. SpinalCord

SpinalCord Banned

Does anybody know where we'll be able to purchase this in the morning?

14. Thelonicon

Thelonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just checked this thread to find out the same thing. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like anyone seems to have purchased it yet. Target's listing is $21.49, but says "not sold in stores." Best Buy says "store pickup not available" and it isn't even listed on Walmart's site (although it did show me a sponsored link to Family Video which is selling it for $19 with $2 shipping which is the cheapest I've seen so far.)

I'm tempted to swing by BB, Target, and WM after work, just on the off chance one of them has it. Otherwise I guess I'll just order it online.

15. Sky Ray

Sky Ray Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes it is out in stores. I was just at Target and picked up the second to last copy for $19.99.
    The Best Buy stock locater is pretty inaccurate, one time I was looking up One Piece Collection 9 DVD set and it was out on the release date, but the stock lookup said not available in store, but I went to the store anyway and lo and behold they had it on the shelves.
    I'll be checking Walmart in a bit to see if they have it.

16. Thelonicon

Thelonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah. I just checked my Target, and they also had it for $20. It's always nice when something is cheaper than expected.

17. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Amazon billed me yesterday for my preorder

18. Sky Ray

Sky Ray Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I checked Walmart and didn't see it anywhere.

19. SpinalCord

SpinalCord Banned

Only 2 Targets in the Nashville area got copies, and the most they got were 2. Could not find it at Walmart, so since neither could Sky Ray and it's not on their website, they don't carry it. Couldn't find it at Best Buy, so I'm guessing it's only sold through their website (weird both Target and BB have the Beast Wars cover on their sites)... however, I did find 2 Resident Evil Collection boxsets at BB when the website said none in Nashville had it, so who really knows... didn't bother with Fye since there's only 1 around here.
    Seems like they were really anticipating little demand for this... what a shame. I'm sure random kids into TransFormers may have saw this on the shelves and asked their parents for it not knowing what it is, then BOOM... more Beastie minions :ev: 

20. Eurobeatking

Eurobeatking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Any chance Best Buy might have it,if not Ill go to the target next door and get it,hoping they have it.