Beast Machines DVD Press Release

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sol Fury, Aug 11, 2014.

1. gnp1

gnp1 Active Member

It was also Fox Kids.

2. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I already purchased the old DVD set which Rhino made. Unless it's BD I'll likely pass on this new set.

3. Thelonicon

Thelonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shout has been consistently phoning it in for pretty much all of their recent back catalog releases. I can't actually remember the last time they produced new extras for a release. Was there anything new on the Beast Wars set from 2011? If not then, then they haven't created or added any additional extras since the G1 set in 2009. In the case of Transformers Animated, they even removed extras since the complete series set did not include the shorts. (Some of which were on the original DVD release, and some were not.)

I know the DVD market isn't nearly as lucrative as it once was, but it would it kill them to put in a little effort. :( 

Edit: Just for emphasis, this only applies to older shows. Some of the TF: Prime sets did have some solid extras included IIRC.

4. vrba79

vrba79 Well-Known Member

So what you're saying is that this is the same old BM, in a shiny new wrapper? ;) 

5. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really liked Beast Machines, I think of it as the film noir of the Transformers universe.

6. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

Agreed. I think it's an awesome show and a nice compliment to beast wars. Don't think I'll pick up the new set as I have the rhino version.

7. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Well I'm excited.

8. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I hope it's butterscotch flavored.

9. 420tron

420tron Mr. Beefy

Anyone who is a fan of this... can now have a new DVD and a new Tankor deluxe figure!
    That's cool that lined up for fans of the show.

And you can get a new deluxe Rattrap to have Tankor chase around... I guess!

2014... what a year.

10. thunder117

thunder117 Magna Defender

Ebay:
    Beast Machines, eh? Wonder if RID might be next.

I appreciated the conspiracy atmosphere of the show.

11. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Don't have the original Rhino release; will probably grab this.

Beast Machines was a part of my childhood that's still stuck with me - plus it gave us Vehicons, evil Rhinox/Tankor, Obsidian/Strika, the Diagnostic Drone, and so much more.

It also gave us Botanica, mind, who on paper is a cool idea but who in execution I never really liked, even as a kid. Plus it further built the legend of the Predacon that is BW Megatron.

When I've gone back to it, I've found it holds up pretty well as a 20 chapter book. It's not perfect but it's still pretty awesome.

12. SpinalCord

SpinalCord Banned

BW was in no way sophisticated, dark, religious, or political... intelligent yes, a quality cartoon with adult apeal, yes, but it did nothing to push boundaries other than being a well written show. BM went beyond that.

13. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    I'm actually looking forward to this. It's a much better series then people think.

14. joshferrell

joshferrell Well-Known Member

yes now hopefully "RID", "BW2" and "BW NEO" (both subbed) will be released..

15. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Accept no imitations

News Credits:
    Excellent to see this getting a US re-release. Much criticised but for me personally one of the best pieces of Transformers fiction out there. I have the Australian Madman Entertainment release signed by David Kaye, so I'm good :) 

16. rabbit prime

rabbit prime Well-Known Member

I thought we all agreed In unison that this shit never happened...

17. RavageX-9

RavageX-9 I don't know

Ebay:
    You mean re-iterated? I don't think we're suing over this.
    Is Blu-ray only widescreen? I don't even have a player, but I'd get one if enough stuff were in the format, since I've heard how terrible DVD quality is. I can't believe how standard DVD STILL IS despite being worse than Betamax format which according to wikipedia came out in 1977. So 40 years and no progress. Is MASH on anything besides DVD? No? Then it's not widespread. It's taking forever for Star Trek: The Next Generation or Deep Space Nine to come out on Blu-Ray. I think TNG is coming along but DS9 hasn't even started.
    To segue to my next reply, rant over.

I realize this news piece is an opportunity to have this discussion again but... why? It's so old it should be etched in stone, lost and forgotten, rediscovered, and put in a museum for all to witness the past.
    Then again, I feel that way about a lot of stuff.

... He was using your words when he used that description.
    Only in your personal head-canon.
    As flawed as BM is, IMO it's still better than all the TF shows that aren't BW or Animated, and that's so sad to say.
    and it will probably remain that way because Hasbro sees shows that coincidentally are given more creative freedom as being commercial failures and they don't want to risk it. They took the writers for the movies and put them in charge of their main series. Enjoy more of that.

18. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    Agreed. Upon re-watching the G1 cartoon in my adulthood I was struck by how....well....POOR it is....even by the standards of the time. I find much of it quite unwatchable and if it were not for the nostalgia aspect I'd write it off entirely. This is not a point of view I voice each end ever time a G1 boxset, remastering or whatever hits the shelves, there's is no point it's all been said before and it wont be changing anyones mind on the subject. People like what they like but I find it rather silly to continue to criticise something that is now 15 years old.

Personally I feel, despite it's issues, Beast Machines was one of the most innovative, atmospheric and ambitious pieces of TF fiction...nay children's animation ever. Some of the themes, outcomes and changes to characters may not sit well with everyone but I for one am so very glad it was allowed to happen and know I will go back to it more often, and get more out of it than any G1, RID, Unicron Trilogy or Prime series.

19. Rush

Rush Dinobot

The character in the middle looks just like Fixit in the upcoming Robots in Disguise series following Prime. What character is that?

20. Booster Gold

News Credits:

That, would you believe it, is Rattap...yeah he really did get screwed over in Beast Machines.