Beast Era (Wars/Machines/etc.) Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Snaptrap, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    Well, I personally love the Generations Rattrap mould. It does a great job at depicting how he looked in the show.

I would also like to have a Packrat to go along with my Botcon 2014 Apelinq (as long as I get it for a reasonable price).

2. Nightviper1115

Nightviper1115 Well-Known Member

I thought Generations Rattrap was perfectly fine except for the transformation. The leg trick is impressive but everything else felt like a chore. I've never been able to get a good mastery of it, so he just stands on the shelf untouched. He's certainly not as much fun as Rhinox or Waspinator.

3. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    Your not alone. :) 

4. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    There's certainly a lot to cram in to get him into beast-mode. Things have to be lined up perfectly.

If this was the toy that Mainframe were working with back in 1996, they wouldn't have had to 'cheat' as much as they did with the original. The proportions of the Generations toy are so good you could just plug them into an animation model and be perfectly happy with the results.

5. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have Takara Waspinator, I was going to get Hasbro's but someone told me about the golds stripes and I couldn't not get that one.

I have the takara and hasbro rattraps (because the takara one popped up loose cheap)

I have the hasbro Rhinox and just got Takara's BA

[​IMG]

I like them all but Rhinox is so loose it can make him difficult to pose

6. Beastwarsfan95

News Credits:
    My Rhinox can't stand to save his life. He really could have done with a ratcheted waist.

7. tfcrafter

tfcrafter Customizer and LEGO MOCer

News Credits:
    My Rhinox is pretty loose too, and that combined with the small feet and large upper body makes him fall over a lot.

8. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closet otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have the same loose problem as well.

9. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    My Rhinox is fine, but my Limited Black version of Megatron is so loose in his thighs that if he's not perfectly balanced he'll just completely fold over. It's very frustrating that it'd be THAT toy out of all my hundreds of Megatrons that is loose, especially when my Telemocha and Robot Masters is perfect...

10. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    man, RM/telemocha deluxe primal is such an outdated toy but he's still super fun once you get past the fucked up chest and lack of thigh swivels.

11. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    It's the same with Megatron. A very cool toy with some really weird faults you just don't see on modern toys. A gun that can only be held if you take off his tail weapon (that there is no storage for) or awkwardly clamp in his T-Rex mouth and then has nowhere to go in dinosaur mode, for example.

I'd also point out his "curling" arms, but then again, AOE.

12. Beastwarsfan95

News Credits:
    It's rare to get a figure these days that can store it's weapon, so Megatron isn't weird in that regard.

13. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    No it's not. Most, if not all, have a port to at least plug it somewhere in alt mode.

14. Rushin Panther

Rushin Panther Secret Police

Very true. Beast Wars kinda revolutionized the whole weapon storage thing. I can't even think what would be comparable to this in G1 or G2. The closest I can think of would be the small headmasters lile Horri Bull and Squeezeplay. Even then, they didn't match Beast Wars for creativity.
    Probably my favourite would have to be Cybershark with the Hammerhead missile and the tail slash. Anyone elae got a favourite weapon storage?

15. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    All those original Beast Wars toys, even down to the basics, were loaded with weapons. You knew there was a war on :p 

Rhinox's storage of his weapons is great. There are pieces everywhere. Plus a sword!

16. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    Yeah thats how I feel about him. He has more issues that Rhinox and Waspinator but less than Universe/Classics Dinobot and Cheetor for example. I think Rhinox in particular set a high bar making it difficult not to be slightly disappointed with some of Ratrap's problems. He's still a pretty cool figure over all and, for me at lease, a welcome update to the original.

17. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    I've been spending some time with some oldies lately and I'm floored by how wonderful they are. Even the "duds" from the first couple of years were still really interesting (I'm looking at you, Retrax!). IMO, t wasn't until Transmetal 2 that we started to get some groaners...

So I picked up TFs again in late 1997 (after a 10 year break) by which time, it was tricky to find a Cheetor on the shelf. I spent a lot of time hunting for one and in the process picked up tons of Wave 2 stuff and fell in love with those toys. Eventually, I found a Cheetor (green eyes, of course) and it was worth the effort. I really treasure the figures that I picked up along the way.

In particular, the Basic guys really stuck with me as being superb. Razorclaw, Clawjaw and Snapper are three of my favorite TFs of all time.

I think there's a combination of being "toys first" with just a hint of being part of something bigger and richer...but without the burden of being "that character from the original show/movie" that made them so great. We've lost that!

18. Rushin Panther

Rushin Panther Secret Police

I said this in a different thread but it applies here too. What we saw at the start of Combiner Wars was the same thing we saw with Beast Wars. Hasbro took a chance and gave us a bunch of characters you just don't see anymore. This was the first time in a long while that a line didn't have a Bumblebee in it and there wasn't a massive focus on Optimus or Megatron. Just a bunch of awesome characters from our past reborn with better articulation and better designs. Sadly, Combiner Wars took a huge step backward with the masquerade Aubobots, the second Optimus repaint, and the upcoming limbs for Sky Lynx: reverting to the same old "lets use these names over and over again" tactic that's gone stale.

But I digress...

Beast Wars gave us a ton of toys that all felt fresh and new, even with some old names attached here and there. Honestly, I never really made the connections between the G1 characters and Beast Wars as a kid. Dinobot was a stone cold badass, not necessarily an homage to THE Dinobots of the past. Razorclaw was the perfect name for a fiddler crab (who's this lion you're talking about?) Magnaboss' parts were just three guys who could combine not legendary Autobot warriors. Even when the show was on, it did such a good job giving these guys their own personalities, it made you forget about the G1 namesakes. Which Rampage do you prefer: the insane pyschopath giant that goes out of his way to cause meaningless destruction, turns into a massive crab and a tank, has an animated velociraptor skeleton half brother, and has the Beast Wars version of Batman hunting him down? Or the tiger that gets a little angry supposedly but spends most of his screen time as an arm?

19. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    ^Extremely well stated!!
    :thumb 

20. Beastwarsfan95

News Credits:
    I wouldn't really call that "storage".