Beast Era (Wars/Machines/etc.) Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Snaptrap, Jan 12, 2012.

1. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closet otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can see your point. However, it doesn't matter if they're the same continuity or not, that's how tall they are. Continuities may change, but meters do not. Even if they don't belong on the chart, this is how tall they are, regardless.

It does bother me how tall they are compared to other "Predacons". Nothing I can do about that. However, the BM crew kind of alleviates that problem. Cheetor is as tall as Magnaboss. And we know Predacons can get huge, look at Gigastorm and Tankor! :eek: 

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  2. ApocalypseThruster

ApocalypseThruster Local “Why aren’t they here?!” Poster

News Credits:
    …Fair.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BWIguanusfan2

BWIguanusfan2 fan of BW Iguanus

YouTube (Legacy):
    many people like to categized rid2001/car robots as the end of the "beast" era of the franchise along with machine wars, as rid2001/car robots is much closer to beast wars (with the redecos of the TM2s and all) and it was the first line to see the return of licensed vehicles. engineering wise were also much closer to beast wars as well. Takara even considers Car Robots to be part of the beast wars franchise. there are reasons to put it in and reasons why not.

• Like Like x 2
  4. sikkusushotto

sikkusushotto Well-Known Member

You made him look really good! (Also I've noticed that your photography in general has improved a lot lately, well done!)

General thoughts:
    - Is the Diagnostic Drone really that big?
    - TM2 Blackarachnia should really be taller than Rattrap
    - It's weird to see the Space Pirates Seacons be so small, considering how big the Seacons were in Masterforce
    - I would expect Longrack to be taller
    - Is Break really as tall as Lio Convoy?
    - Having Ravage, Terrorsaur and Tigatron taller than Lio Convoy doesn't seem right
    - I feel like BM Cheetor should be taller than BM Silverbolt
    - Strika is almost as tall as Optimal Optimus?
    - Obsidian is taller than Optimal Optimus and God Neptune?

• Like Like x 1
  5. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closet otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The answer to these questions, and many others, can be found here Unofficial Beast Wars Scale Chart

But in short order:
    • Yes
    • No
    • Indeed
    • I would think so too but he's not
    • Yes
    • Lio Convoy is the exact same height as S1 Primal, and all three of them are taller than him
    • BM Cheetor is taller than BM Silverbolt. Do you mean visa versa?
    • Yes
    • And yes. He be chonkin huge.

I have found over the years that most of the misconceptions of scale, especially in Beast Wars, come from the wildly out-of-scale toys. TM2 Blackarachnia and Scorponok were both Megas, yet they are two of the smallest characters. Tigatron and Transmutate were both Deluxes and were two of the tallest. To speak nothing of BM Silverbolt, Obsidian and Tankor. Poor Basic crew being dissed.

• Like Like x 6
  6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    This one always fucked with me because Obsidian has a gangly, thin design with a large head, things that don't communicate great stature, yet he really is gigantic. Likewise Strika's proportions are hulking, beefy, with a tiny head that implies she's enormous, (which she technically is) yet if you watch their introductory scene and basically any shot with the two side-by-side, Obsidian really is that big. I guess the implication is that, as Generals from the old wars, they never underwent the downsizing and are scaled to Autobots and Decepticons. (of which BM showed a few still around on modern day Cybertron)

• Like Like x 2
  7. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closet otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Obsidian and Strika were all but confirmed Autobots and/or Decepticons in Beast Machines. Most later continuities seem to have taken that as established fact and run with it. As we discussed in the scale thread, Bottanica could have been an Autobot as well. Beast Machines laid heavy into the G1 lore, somehow without any meaningful effect. lol (C/P from the other thread)

[​IMG]

I do not think Bottanica was a Maximal. I believe she was an Autobot. There are a few reasons for this.
    1) She said she left Cybertron "many seller cycles ago" (her emphasis)
    2) Her ship is a direct model reuse of the Autobot shuttle model
    3) The controls and cockpit are scaled for an Autobot size bot
    4) We know (again from Forbidden Fruit) that there were still Autobots on Cybertron at the beginning of Megatron's invasion.
    5) The robot seen in her flashback (assuming it was her) is way larger compared to the door than say Thrust or Optimus is compared to it.

There are a few issues with this.
    1) Cheetor calls her a Maximal and she doesn't disagree
    2) Like Nightscream, the scale of her beast mode does not change while reformatted
    3) Her beast form could easily move through the vents on her ship.

There is also the possibility that Bottanica was an Autobot, but the being we saw was not her. Because check this out. (ignore the jumbled mess)

Nottanica, if you will, is insanely large. I have trouble believing there would be any Autobot that large who would reformat that small. Is it possible this could be someone like say Skyfire? Last time we saw him was in Dark Awakening. It could also be that is Autobot Bottanica, and at some point she went through the Maximal upgrade program, and achieved her current size.

Regardless, it is fascinating spectulation.

[​IMG]

The flashback, lined up the door with thrust, scaled to actual Thrust size. Nottanica could be a little larger or smaller, but not by a ton. Look how big that door is compared to Thrust. So IDK. I'd say perhaps it was half and half? She was part of a Maximal/Autobot mission? Or she had Autobot crew members aboard her ship? Or when she scanned her beast (plant) mode, it shrunk her by 50%? This could be a Grimlock situation. I don't know, but I found it interesting.

• Like Like x 2
  8. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

Thanks! Got some good photography advice from the photography thread and changed up my style.

9. sikkusushotto

My thoughts definitely don't come from the toys. To phrase things slightly differently: considering that the BW2 is hand drawn and BW is CGI, is it really appropriate to draw scale conclusions based on (I'm guessing) Optimus Primal's cameo in the BW2 movie? Even then, there are scenes in the BW2 movie in which Lio Convoy is definitely taller than Primal and others where Lio Convoy seems the same height or shorter.

Also with regards to BM Cheetor vs. Silverbolt, I meant that I expected the height difference to be larger and certain scenes definitely make it seem so.

I definitely need to refer to that thread again once I get a bit more space and can set up a proper photo booth.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closet otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But again, height is still height. I can scale a banana to the ISS, and they have nothing is common. Scale is merely a measurement, regardless if the characters are hand drawn or CG.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Japan wanted Lio Convoy and Primal Convoy to be the same height. The same reason BW Megatron and BWII Galvatron are the same size.

I'm not trying to start anything, and the criticism is welcome. I would encourage you to stop by the scale thread, do your own measurements, post your own screen caps, and join in the discussion. The more eyes we have looking at this stuff, the better!

• Like Like x 3
  11. Lockon Prime

Lockon Prime Get a eye full of lid when I slight ur lights out

Eh.. way I see it, Optimus Primal and Primal Convoy are 2 different characters, and therefore, have different scales.

12. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. sikkusushotto

Yeah despite "1m always being 1m", I still think that scale comparisons between continuities and shows may not allow for different artistic visions. I still find it good that you are undertaking this effort though. Scale in TF shows has generally annoyed me more than anything else. The only exception is Car Robots. It seems like they really took care to scale things appropriately, whether or not they were ultimately successful in the end.

Here's a screenshot showing Lio Convoy being slightly taller, assuming they're both standing on the same surface. One could argue that Lio Convoy standing slightly further forwards makes him look bigger, but I don't think he gains that much.

upload_2021-12-12_21-33-25.png

Anyway, back to toys,
    upload_2021-12-12_21-38-14.png
    I like this guy a lot but I do wish his arms and upper body tab in more securely.

Quite relevant to today's topic of discussion:
    upload_2021-12-12_21-40-17.png

• Like Like x 5
  14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I think she was, and I don't think the backlit figure was her. I think she was part of a crew, and that individual is simply one of her crewmates who first took a plant form. (she confirms her entire crew were plants, not just her)

1) Many could be any number, but I'd never describe three hundred years as "many." I feel like is she was meant to be a Great War explorer who left during or just after she'd have said hundred.
    2) While true, it doesn't necessarily mean it is an Autobot shuttle, anymore than the backlit figure is meant to be a duplicate of Depth Charge despite obviously having his head.
    3) She may have had an Autobot on her team, doesn't mean she was. (Beast Machines shows the Autobots still a part of modern Cybertron's society)
    4) True, but that doesn't mean she was one. It wouldn't make sense that standard reformatting would shrink her that much.
    5) Same as 3, could just be another crew member who was an Autobot. Assuming that's actually meant to be the same door. While it shares the design, the texturing is different, and could just be a model re-use because it's the only "ship hatch" Mainframe had rigged.

1) I feel like this is the biggest indicator that she's a Maximal. An Autobot I feel would be more cause for discussion.
    2) Again true. It also seems odd that an Autobot that big would be shrunk down just from taking a plant alt mode. (and without mass-shifting)
    3) Not only that, but if it was an Autobot shuttle, both the shuttle and Ark were showed to have Maximal-sized control panels for smaller robots to use.

I would love to get Lio Convoy one day. Pipe dream I know, but if he got reissued in the Walmart line I'd flip out.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Robcbh

Robcbh Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    You need to post a group picture

16. World Turtle

World Turtle Well-Known Member

i have pretty much all of the main line figures except for a few. 96 Blackarachnia because that honestly did not look like her at all. Also from 96: Bat Primal and MegaCroc.

hoping to get some of the BotCon exclusives from Kingdom Rattrap, Terrorsaur, and Scorponok and Legacy Inferno: Packrat, Fractyl, Sandstorm, Double Punch, and Antagony. Because of this if they do a new Polar Claw I hope for Grizzly-1. I also want a new Powerpinch so we can get Vice Grip. Or just skip ‘Pinch and just gives us Vice Grip.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Robcbh

Robcbh Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    You also need to share a pic of your collection!

18. World Turtle

as soon as I can get up!
    image.jpg
    She’s got me pinned!

• Like Like x 5
  19. World Turtle

image.jpg

I’ve switched out some of the classic figures for the Kingdom ones, but I do have them.

• Like Like x 11
  20. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anybody order the new beast wars poster? I think it looks really nice. 20211213_003410.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7