Beast Era (Wars/Machines/etc.) Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Snaptrap, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Zethrofax

Zethrofax G1 Traitor

I might take them, how much are you aksing ?

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Transmetal Megatron does not have GPS. The gold parts are fine, it's the brown plastic that's brittle. The Takara version uses a charcoal-black plastic instead and it more robust.

3. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Gps doesn’t specifically affect gold plastic, gold plastic is just the most prevalent for it to happen (hence the sometimes inaccurate name of gps). The brown plastic is brittle because it has metallic flakes swirled in the plastic, which is what makes plastic brittle when it comes to gps

• Like Like x 2
  4. Chopper Face

Chopper Face Emissary of The Vok

News Credits:
    So I’m repainting my Generations Waspinator- started off aiming for a more muted, military, fighter yet styled, matte aesthetic to bring him a little closer to reality but found myself missing his ‘gooey, buggy’ show look; and then I woke up up thinking ‘I should do those bits with oils!’
    So now I’m going for a combination of fleshy bug bits done in oils mixed with metallic parts which really suits the generations design that intertwines the two elements really well.

Just slapped on the first bit of oil paint now and I think the results are very promising. Best thing about oils is that I can get a great lumpy texture out of them if I want later on.
    DBC89E46-C086-478E-BF41-EC0F4AE9151A.jpeg

I’ve also modded these bits for his arms so they shorter and more show accurate.
    F527A9E2-A4FF-4BD5-86E9-92EC82689406.jpeg

Totally removed the set on his legs and Frankensteined the tips onto these. Needs tidying up but should hold together nicely.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Axalonark2005

Axalonark2005 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    In the US. $5.

6. Cobra

Cobra Have been lost for awhile

Does anyone know of 3D files that can be printed to replace the GPS part of TM Megatron?

7. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Alpha_&_Omega

Alpha_&_Omega From the Covenant of Primus...

Probably cheaper to buy an armada predacon and then dye/ repaint the parts you need.

9. Cobra

Cobra Have been lost for awhile

I have a 3D printer so I could print the parts myself.

10. AutobotSeeker81

AutobotSeeker81 Well-Known Member

Hey. I just thought people would like to know Beast Wars is steaming on tubi tv.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chopper Face

Chopper Face Emissary of The Vok

News Credits:
    A8C8414E-8148-4E99-B302-AEFF39681466.png
    Dammit. Now Brexit makes sense.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Megatron: "Finally...."
    Scorponok: "Megatron! The computer is detecting a Maximal ship nearby."
    Megatron: "Activate main guns and prepare for transwarp."

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  13. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Found a MISB BW Scavenger quite randomly today. I say MISB, but the box was pretty deteriorated. Still, figure inside was perfect, which leaves my checklist as follows:

TM Megatron’s brown plastic is not metallic, and has no metallic flakes mixed into it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  15. Override Prime

Override Prime Well-Known Member

Heres the relevant bit from TFWiki for what it's worth:

"The Hasbro release of this figure was in gold, dark brown, and silver. The Hasbro release is known for being remarkably fragile — the deep brown plastic used for Megatron's waist and torso is prone to eventual breakage due to stress fractures. This has often been mistaken for a form of Gold Plastic Syndrome, but is really more of a design flaw coupled with weak plastics. The Takara version, which used a different plastic, does not have this problem. The Hasbro version had three different variants all based on the shade used for the transmetal parts, some were pink, some purple and others a darker blue purple."

Never held one myself so I can't corroborate personally. Kinda pisses me off though, I want one so bad, but the Takara one is so expensive.

16. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    it cant really be considered a design flaw to be honest since only the beast wars release from hasbro suffers from it and there were no design changes between the hasbro and takara release and the only design change between those and armada predacon is the addition of minicon plugs. its a materials flaw and the flaw is most commonly associated with gold plastic, though it is not always gold plastic

Gold Plastic Syndrome - Transformers Wiki
    "ONLY GOLD PLASTIC GETS GOLD PLASTIC SYNDROME!

Not quite true. Observations suggest that it should probably be called "Metallic Plastic Syndrome". It's those metallic plastics, most commonly the gold and bronze plastics used for almost ten years by Hasbro and Takara, from around 1989 to 1998. However, it's possible that any colour of plastic could be susceptible, given enough time. So keep a close eye on your Fire Convoy, kids; that pretty metallic swirl in his plastic isn't promising... maybe."

"Transmetal Megatron (Hasbro version)
    He'll snap at the waist, the shoulders, the... well, anything that's made of that brown plastic. This is technically Brown Plastic Syndrome, but regardless of what you call it this toy will end in sadness. The Japanese Metals version uses black instead of the brown, so it seems to be immune. The fragility of the waist may be due to GPS, a design flaw, or a combination of both; the Takara version's immunity to this issue (because its brown parts are black plastic) seems to suggest that GPS may have a role."

both of those are snippets from the tfwiki article on gps (which means that the wiki contains contradictory information in regards to tm megatron) at the link you provided. i had a tm megatron that crumbled at the hip in the exact same manner as the gold plastic on bw grimlocks legs would crumble.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Override Prime

Seems to be a more complicated issue than a cursory glance at the toys page indicates. I wish there was a way to identify the exact composition of the different plastics, I'd be interested in knowing what causes this specifically.
    Looking at the pictures, if its not gps exactly, it's certainly a similar issue. Too bad it had to happen to such a cool looking toy.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Nope

Nope board man gets paid

News Credits:
    At least they finally removed MP43 from that list, lol. It was there for awhile iirc.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    But neither of which regard the brown plastic as metallic, because it isn't.

This isn't me reading the wiki, this is me having owned three Transmetal Megatrons. The brown plastic is just brittle, no metallic flakes involved.

Except even my Japanese version feels like the waist is under necessary stress. I actually disassembled mine and removed the guiding nubs such that it's now a simple unimpeded swivel.

If his torso wasn't so thin-walled and the hinges so small I doubt the toy would be under enough stress for the plastic to cave as easily as it does.

20. Override Prime

I'm planning to get Armada Predacon sometime soon, I'll have to remember to check it out. Just in case.

• Like Like x 1