Beast Era (Wars/Machines/etc.) Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Snaptrap, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    I meant to type 'Wars'. However they're both dated. It's just there's a lot more 'cheap' CG on TV now diluting the quality. I still think BW and BM look good...I just think if they were made with similar budget/production values with today technology they'd likely look better than they did in the 90s. I'm very thankful that they were so 'high end' at the time meaning they've dated much less than you'd expect.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  2. Nope

Nope yscohb

News Credits:
    Amazon had the Cyberverse Tiny Turbo Changers up for about 10 minutes the other day. I was feeling bold and decided to gamble for Blackarachnia since I think they've basically only been released in Canada. Astonishingly, I actually beat the odds.

20190829_143304.jpg 20190829_143327.jpg 20190829_143409.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  3. RKStrikerJK5

RKStrikerJK5 number one Bangles fan on the boards

News Credits:

I gotta agree with both of these. Beast Wars was the best that could've been done at the time, and they did damned good overall. There has to be a first step, a first attempt at anything. Without Beast Wars, would we have anything of today? Probably not, to be honest. Transformers would be at the level of Thundercats.

• Like Like x 3
  4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    While I don't necessarily find any of this wrong, I just want to see BW remastered because of how insanely cool it would look.

But like I'm thinking of the Halo 2 Anniversary cutscenes by Blur Studios, going from this:

e3-2014-halo-2-anniversary-comparison-arbiter-classic-faba6c87944e438593f35754bc0fa179[1].jpg

To this:

maxresdefault[1].jpg

I want the full monty. I want to see photo-realistic Beast Wars with high animation fidelity and detail that really shows that harsh but brilliant contrast of shiny robotics and fuzzy fleshiness.

• Like Like x 9
  5. DracoPrimal

DracoPrimal Nomenclature Nominator

"Rant" was well-justified... The show was great writing and F the modern-movie-spoiled nay-sayers of "yeah, that 20 year old CG looks like crap". The characters were memorable because of the writing and the voice actors, and I will take that with old CGI over Bay's "stunning visuals" carrying all the character depth of an adult film.
    Yeah, yeah, "series vs film" for plot time, but there were 5 movies with little to no story-specific continuity between.
    I couldn't care about any of the movie characters, much as they wanted everyone to "BB4eva!" but to this day even my PARENT (almost 60) gets a sad face "aw, what was its name that was so sad? Transmutate, oh, that was SO heartbreaking"

• Like Like x 2
  6. Chopper Face

Chopper Face Emissary of The Vok

News Credits:
    My God is that a cg cut-scene? It looks like a photo of a statue. That’s pretty respectable.
    However that original picture is far less detailed than even the first episode of BW so the upgrade seems far more warranted. I was watching a bit of Coming of the Fuzors to get some battle damaged Dinobot reference shots for my repaint and there is actually a crap-ton of detail on those character models.

Although I don’t require an update, if it was on the cards, I wouldn’t object and I’d definitely check it out- and probably buy the toys as well. More Beast Wars can only ever be a positive.
    Also, if that’s what it would take to get new audiences to appreciate the brilliance of the show then bring it on.
    It’s never gonna happen but it’s fun to think about. Shame no one can create some example material to show us what could be.

• Like Like x 3
  7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The first pic is from an in-game cutscene of a 2004 console game so of course it's pretty rough. The seocnd image is pre-rendered.

But again, it's less like "Beast Wars need an update" and more "Beast Wars deserves an update." The show is fine as it is, but it would just be so awesome to see it redone strictly with photo-realistic visuals.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Quick as Lightning

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    100% agree. I wouldn’t turn down new BW in any shape or form, frankly Hasbro has been neglecting the line. PotP Optimal Optimus was a poor substitute for the original. What we deserve is more original characters. Beast Wars is the Bionicle of Transformers.

• Like Like x 3
  9. kwanzaabot

kwanzaabot Well-Known Member

I was today years old when I realised movie Barricade's headsculpt is an homage to Transmetal II Prowl. (The black version, obvs)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  10. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    I mean, so long as they can still emote. I'd rather not have another Lion King situation, especially given how vibrant and expressive the characters in BW all were.

• Like Like x 3
  11. scmtkings4

scmtkings4 Active Member

Lol sorry guys goingback to the dinobot thing just one last time.

Look at silverbolt anddinobot being the same size. That is not right lol. he needs to be an ultra class or at the very least a deluxe class.

The second pic with silverbolt and rampage is more the size difference dinobot should have had. Sorry i'll move on now haha

Attached Files:

12. Nope

Nope yscohb

News Credits:
    Takara Rampage is so pretty. I feel like it's actually less accurate than the Hasbro version, but it looks incredible.

• Like Like x 2
  13. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Pretty interesting catch. I don't think that was the intent when Movie Barricade was in the works but still I can see how it does evoke Barricade. Wouldn't be a bad mold to re-purpose into anyway. :) 

Amazing on how the molds fit the characters well. Waspinator and Ravage especially.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

15. Blunderzag

Blunderzag Transform and Transcend

Jungle Book was much more expressive, I think that Jon Favreau should have stuck with what already looked good.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Quick as Lightning

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well, evil police car...Prowl was originally a police car...pretty big coincidence.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    well i guess that retroactively makes black owl prowl bw barricade haha

• Like Like x 5
  18. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    Cross posting from MP Appreciation.

The most unlikely of hunting parties has formed (no they are not hunting actual animals @chchchch)

IMG_20190830_144851758.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  19. chchchch

chchchch Chunky Coherent

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Don't you worry, I'll come up with another confusing joke!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    This may have been brought up before but something has occurred to me while rewatching some Beast Wars...why wasn't MP Primal (robot mode) given 'teeth'? They are clearly there in the animation. I wonder what his face sculpts would look like with a silver/white set of dentures? Same goes for Cheetors yellow inner mouth and white 'fangs'.