BBTS has pictures & pre-orders for Takara Legends Arcee, Chromia & Windblade

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by AllSpark Ferret, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Jerrimus

Jerrimus BOSS

Ebay:
    I really want to like that Arcee as its an homage to the G1 version, but man...those thighs look terrible! That plus the backpack is like a kick to the go-nads. I'll have to wait til I see her in person.

2. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

Preordered Takara Arcee. Even though I'm not a big fan of her g1 form, I do want a nice representation of that form for my collection. The Takara version has a better looking midsection, in that she doesn't look like she's with sparkling.

I also preordered Takara Windblade. Their version just looks amazing.

I'm gonna pass on Takara Chromia. That lilac just doesn't look good on her, imo. Hasbro's Chromia looks more badass.

3. Burnout00012

Burnout00012 SKREEEEEEEOONK

Got Windblade ordered. So much nicer than Hasbro's. Gonna turn my Hasbro one into Slipstream.

4. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    Sounds like you are misunderstanding. While paint ops are not dirt cheap, they are certainly not $10 out of your $15 toy. That would be the steel mold and why we are always told they have to be able to sell so many of a figure to make producing it worthwhile. This is a very expensive fixed cost. Then on top of that add the cost of plastic and the injecting, cooling, and assembling. There's also packaging costs and the packaging process. How much is the cost of the time it takes to tie all those ties (granted I don't know how automated this might be)?

Paint is simply another step in the process. It would be bought in bulk and the only pricey parts are the mask(s) and once again the actual production cost. You hear about that being cut because it is the easiest thing to cut late in the game when management wants more $ per item and the mold is already made or will be made. It is a per figure cost so it adds up, but it is not a large cost per figure - so no, it is not the most expensive part of the figure.

If paint was that expensive, TakaraTomy toys would cost a lot more than they do in relation to US figures. They can easily have up to several times the amount of paint of a Hasbro figure but rarely cost more than double, and not even double when the Yen is weak. The price difference likely accounts for less figures produced in a batch (smaller market), possibly more overhead though I'm just guessing there considering TakaraTomy staff gets tenured while Hasbro hires and fires, Japanese inflation, more paint or premium plastic (marginal at best). And then the cost of importing/international transport and the exchange are secondary and leads to what we see on BBTS and the like.

Acting like paint is akin to gold prices is silly and the idea is touted as just another means to justify Hasbro's continuous efforts to produce higher margins per figure at the expense of the best possible products.

5. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Herald Of Primus

News Credits:
    Hmmm.... I might just bite the bullet on that Windblade figure. The alt mode reminds me of Lazerbeak!

6. ki1983ng

ki1983ng Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone posted these clearer pictures yet?

credit to Singapore shop "Robo Robo" on facebook

Attached Files:

7. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    I'm still going to get the Hasbro version with Chromia, but I also did put in a pre-order for the Takara Arcee since she has a more G1 paint job. Hasbro's will go with my IDW figures and Takara's will go with my G1 classics.

8. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

is it just me or does it look like there's less "make-up" around the eyes? IF so, I'm seriously debating whether to wait for that one because that was one of my nitpicks about her at release..

Takara comes through again:thumb sup:

9. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It may be just artifacts of the low-res photos, but it looks like Takara might be trying to make Windblade's face more wide-eyed and friendly using paint apps. In their photo it (so far) looks creepy as all hell. :( 

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    The lilac just looks all wrong on Chromia. Windblade definitely is an improvement but I need to see a real close up of her face first before I make a decision.

11. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thanks for posting, they are new to me !

Ordered 5 of the Hasbro ones to give away to nieces and such and ordered five of takaras for my children !

12. RayH

RayH Well-Known Member

The Takara arcee, is more acccurate to the g1 toon, so i will get that one probably.

The hasbro chromia color seems more accurate to the g1 toon, so I'll go with that one.

13. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Scale Charts are pointless.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh Primus, those faces!
    What happened?

14. SpinalCord

SpinalCord Banned

Takara Chromia is more G1 accurate with the painted windshield and lavender accents.

15. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Most sites are saying Takaras chromia is more g1 cartoon accurate .

16. SpinalCord

SpinalCord Banned

Yup.

17. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

Windblade looks so creepy, I hope it is just the photo. Don't like the lilac on Chromia either, not sure I'll get these afterall, want to see better photos before I decide.

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I'll be getting the Takara Arcee, don't care enough about the other two to import.

19. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Now I think we're both misunderstanding each other now.
    Let me say that I 100% agree with what you said here - although I do think that paint apps are the most expensive thing to add to a figure (after the steel mold, plastics, etc. which is a base both Hasbro and Takara figures start with, so should not account for much of a difference between the two), and I see no reason to doubt that statement as it's obvious to see why it would be.

You are right, all those other things add up as well, and I'm not disagreeing with you there at all. My statement was aimed at GalaxyOfRust, who is acting extremely entitled, somehow expecting Takara-level quality toys for the same prices as the Hasbro ones - completely ignoring solid and obvious reasons why they are a bit pricier, whether we all like it or not.

Re-quoted, because the way you phrase it is exactly how I feel about it: despite often having better and more complex decos, aTakara Transformer rarely cost more than double of what a Hasbro Transformer costs - and I think that's a reasonable difference. :) 

GalaxyOfRust, however, apparently doesn't.

Let me be clear: although I initially did not mind it too much, I have since grown fed up with Transformers toys getting downsized and less painted, and Hasbro indeed trying to gain maximum profit by cheapening on parts of production.
    When replying to GalaxyOfRust, I wasn't using 'paint is expensive + other things ' as an excuse to justify current Transformers prices, only to point out why Takara Transformers are a bit more expensive than western Hasbro releases. I do think Hasbro needs to step up their game.

I seriously don't get why someone would first rant about the current Hasbro Arcee being close to perfect other than the paintjob (which is apparently an awful thing), then rant again when Takara does release the perfect paintjob (or at least fixing the problems the user had with the mold) for only $13 dollars more (which is still an awful thing).

20. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

No offense, but where are you guys seeing lilac?

[​IMG]