BB movie was great compared to trailer

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by ILoveDinobot, Jan 4, 2019.

1. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'll try to keep this spoiler -free

I just saw the Bumblebee movie. It was really good, I wish there more of the other autobots, but hopefully in a sequel!

When I saw the TV spots and trailer, I was like "meh, looks corny and generic". It was pretty fun, the family scenes were a bit cringe worthy. The "cool kid" scenes were very reminiscent of Sam Witwicky scenes from the 1st movie.

Thankfully there was no awkward romance between Charlie and Bumblebee. Definitely fast friends, kids were so trusting in the 70's? The trailer made it seem like it might be a bit creepy between them.

Also, Charlie not needing to fall or have a romance at all was a +. When I saw the teen boy in the TV Spot, I was like "oh, there is the love interest".

Hopefully, there were some people who were still willing to give it a chance even if the trailers made it seem less love-able then it was. Anyone else feel this way? Point of my post, I felt the trailers fell flat compared to how good the movie was. Trailers are usually important, not sure if it's the same for a franchise like this, that has been around for 34/35 years.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

I thought the movie was about what the trailers made it look like.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Shockwavers

Shockwavers Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Me too

• Like Like x 2
  4. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    :drunk  I thought the trailers were bad. :lol  I don't know I was surprised it wasn't as bad as the trailers made it look. Weird.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Galvatross

I thought the first trailer was kind of boring. The second trailer was much better, but it still didn't have that "oomph."

But that's what Bumblebee is. It's a fine family film, albeit heavily derivative of the 2007 movie, G1, and Iron Giant, but to me it lacked that "oomph" that I want out of a Transformers film, and I don't necessarily mean explosions or things of that nature either. It was by far the most predictable Transformers movie based on trailers and based on how similar to those other things it was. So yeah, that's why I thought the finished product was exactly what it was based on trailers. Not that there's anything wrong with that if it's your cup of tea.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    The trailer was good, the movie was great :D 

• Like Like x 3
  7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's like things were in reverse this time. In the past the Transformers movies would have the best trailers of the year but then the movies themselves would be so disappointing. But this time the trailers were kind of disappointing but the movie did everything it need to do well.

Maybe it's just the nature of the story this time that made making a trailer harder. Kind of seems in the past that you could nap until the action bits came up but this time the story seemed more important than the action bits.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Jalen Frisby

Jalen Frisby BumblebeeLover

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I Love the Trailer 1 and 2. The first one showed that this is a different transformers movie, that shows heart, story. So no it was not boring.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    80s.

And nah, we weren’t more trusting. There were just far less assholes back then.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    This is how I felt too! I like that the action really kept me engaged. And there was a lot of Transformers. I think every scene had at least 1 Transformer. Felt like a transformers movie. Story was really engaging.

11. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The trailers are great. They just feel like a lower budget Transformers movie with less explosions and city landscape being destroyed

12. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Maybe it's Michael Bay's background in commercials and music videos, but you're absolutely right, they always had great trailers. Dramatic, stylistic, arresting visuals and sound design.

Then you watch the film and realise a lot of those scenes are shot that way for no coherent reason. Bay just thought it'd look cool like that. That's where all the creative energy went when he should've been focusing on how best to tell the story.

13. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    Yes, I concur, the trailers don't make the movie justice and I was very skeptical about the film due to the scenes on Cybertron. Soundwave didn’t look that great, but I think the voice actor did a great job.

But in the end I quite enjoyed the movie.

14. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    It is a great movie for sure. It's important to reinforce that this is a great movie not just a great TF movie. I think the litmus test for a great TF movie is showing it to someone with no real knowledge on TF and no love/hate toward it.

Part of me wishes there was more Transformers in it BUT less is more which was one of the biggest successes here.

I think using key characters sparingly and allowing them more time to shine will be important.

If Avengers was the debut MCU movie it would not nearly have been as effective then building up key characters in their own outings.

It's not practical to give every key Autobot/Decepticon their own movie but something between solo outing and ensemble movie might be the best route to go. Characters need time to be developed to push this franchise forward.

• Like Like x 3
  15. JohnStartop

JohnStartop There will only be one.

I seriously don't think their intention was to derive from the 2007 movie. The 2007 movie itself isn't a classic or anything. Both films are derivative of so many films before. The point is execution, and I'd objectively give Bumblebee a 75% and Transformers a 70%. They are really close in quality and both pretty good, but Bumblebee is just held together better because it's not a very ambitious project. I think that's the simplicity we needed for a long time. A lot of people would say that Transformers should be even lower, but they don't understand the sheer spectacle it was in the context of 2007. The trouble is that it's already so severe in the first film, like Man of Steel for the DCEU, that many films afterwards trying to one-up it are quite tiring. Maybe given time, the Bumblebee series would reach the same level of severity as TLK, but it would have been built up better. In fact, if Bayverse had started like Bumblebee, which it logically should have, you wouldn't be saying it lacks any of that "oomph" at all. The only reason that a studio would choose to start a franchise with an actual city battle dozens of mini-September-11 attacks is pure ego.

16. Iacon2048

Iacon2048 Well-Known Member

I think that the trailers this time were not misdirecting. They conveyed exactly what the movie was about.

17. Fc203

Fc203 Jazz is a Pontiac not a Porsche

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I remember some reviewer said that the trailers for the bayverse movies make them look like horror movies

18. Galvatross

Autobots arriving on Earth in meteor modes for the first time. Decepticons being the source of the modern age. A "Girl and her car" story, and a teenage human protagonist having issues with douchey classmates. Sector 7 as a paramilitary group trying to capture Bumblebee. There's even an equivalent scene to the "Autobots in a backyard" scene from 2007. So yeah, I'd definitely say it was heavily inspired.

Okay, so Shatter and Dropkick are little like the 2007 Decepticons, and there's no McGuffin search, but overall I think they are much more alike than people realize.

19. JohnStartop

JohnStartop There will only be one.

See, that's really short and vague, and you could easily be describing E.T. less a robot. You seem to think the 2007 film is more groundbreaking and influential than it actually is. If you think making a story is that simple, then sure, they're both EXACTLY the same. Why not?

• Like Like x 1
  20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    They're not meteor modes, they're individual spacecraft. Everything that falls into Earth's atmosphere becomes a fireball, because of the atmosphere.

They aren't. The internet, both concept and name, existed before 1987. Shatter and Dropkick merely took the idea and cranked it up to their standards. This didn't even lead to anything past their use of it.

Cars, TV, technology as a whole is well-established before 1987. I'd hardly call them creating a proto-internet (that chronologically already existed) the "source of the modern age." If anything they actually created a functioning network on a global scale, but only they used it and the only person to really grasp its significance was killed.

This could describe nearly any and every movie featuring a highschool-aged American child. It's a very, very typical scenario with broad appeal.

Except Sector 7 was a secret service in TF1 operating completely under the radar to study Transformers specifically for decades before TF07. S7 in Bumblebee is just a branch of the military who happens upon Bumblebee and Transformers, but is otherwise unrelated and unequipped to deal with them until Shatter and Dropkick are involved.

Every movie featuring an alien or "fish out of water" character has that scene. That's what makes it a "fish out of water" story.

If anything this just points out how both TF07 and Bumblebee are both based on very typical, palatable narratives that appeal to the broadest audiences, which is probably why they're both the most highly regarded movies.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 2