Bayverse vehicles

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Terrellatron, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Terrellatron

Terrellatron REPAIR REPAIR REPAIR

News Credits:
    The vehicle choices in the Bayverse films always stuck out like a sore thumb to me and never really blended in.They were always flashy and they were always the most expensive cars.They never really played the whole robots in disguise tagline.What would be your choices for vehicle models for some characters.

2. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I agree that Bay's choice of vehicles didn't blend in. I used to really hate the use of flashy sports cars and supercars. Over the years, my opinions on this issue have kind of shifted. I mean, it's a Hollywood movie...cool-looking vehicles kind of come with the territory. Especially if they want to market toys. And it's not like other incarnations are exactly subtle. G1 had Lambos and Ferraris and purple fighter jets. Kids like cool cars more than boring everyday cars, so the brand will probably always be somewhat limited by that. It's definitely something you have to suspend your disbelief for, but I sort of see it as a case of "movie logic".

That much being said, I do think it would be cool to see more everyday vehicles mixed in. I actually created a thread with this premise about two years ago. If I were to "cast" a Transformers movie (completely free of any toy limitations), I'd probably go with something like the pics I posted in the OP. Although I'd probably make Ironhide a slightly bigger and more square truck.

A reboot with "average" cars?

I still really like the idea of making Bumblebee a VW Golf. It blends into everyday life, but it's still somewhat stylish. And it's a great progression of his iconic Beetle form. I think it would be neat to make Bumblebee a four-door car, so they could give him a double set of wings. I guess four-door cars are considered uncool, but I'd be willing to guess it could sell a toy if they customized it a bit and slapped some racing stripes on it.

2020-Volkswagen-Golf-1.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  3. Jochimus

Jochimus Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

Truth be told, I don't necessarily mind 'Bee being a Camaro - even here in podunk little southwest Iowa, I've seen a few here and there - I just don't like the idea of him being a Camaro model so brand spankin' new that it's not even available to the public yet while they're shooting the movie. That's partially why I tend to dig the older/classic Camaros more than the newer ones, as far as 'Bee alts go - even those are still fairly believable as disguises. And I definitely liked Optimus' Peterbilt alt from the first three movies more than the Western Star alt from the other two - judging by many of the trucks I've seen go by here (and, being right next to I-80, with a truck stop on either side, a trucking company on one side and a manufacturing plant on the other, that's pretty much all you ever see here), most of them tend to lean closer to the comparatively-less-flashy "Trilogy" Optimus than the ultra-sleek "Knight" Optimus.

Actually, altogether the alt-modes in the first movie I didn't think were all that bad, as far as their credibility in being commonplace enough not to attract too much attention - hell, our local truck stop has had military transports stop through occasionally and the nearest base has got to be at least thirty miles out, so even Hound's alts in the last two I wouldn't say would be all that far out of bounds. Once the luxury cars and imports and super-curvy sports cars start showing up, though - the Stingrays (Sideswipe and Crosshairs), the Ferraris (Dino), the Mercedes-Benzes (Que), the Lamborghinis (Lockdown and Hot Rod), the Bugattis (Drift) - yeah, that's going a little too far for my liking.

• Like Like x 3
  4. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    For me the supercars mostly got tiresome because modern vehicles are all so relentlessly ugly. But it isn't like Transformers has ever been above sports cars and racers. About two thirds of the 1984 Autobot car lineup are racecars/supercars/sports cars/whatever.

• Like Like x 8
  5. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi woke among sussy soyjak

News Credits:
    "Robots in Disguise" has been a lie since G1.

• Like Like x 11
  6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Because Transformers has always had such under-stated alt modes. (I mean, I've personally never seen a Porsche, F1 racecar, Lamborghini with a massive after market engine, Lancia Stratos rally car, and a military jeep with mounted gun drive by in tandem in the 80's)

I mean, none of the Bay alt modes really scream "hey I'm a robot" so I don't see the issue. (except the Wreckers, but they're not really in disguise) The issue I do have is how every new character was usually a sportscar. TF1 had such a perfect variety of trucks, cars, emergency vehicles, and military hardware. TF2 brought in more concept cars, but then DOTM had every new addition save for Sentinel and Shockwave be a sportscar, and AOE really made everyone flashy and ugly. It just got boring to see almost every new character be a car. And the same ilk of car no less.

The problem you have wanting everyone to be a vehicle that "blends in" is you have to make them cars you'd see on the road, which are boring and plain. A Corvette is no more prominent than, say, a firetruck with lights and sirens going, so you can't have emergency vehicles or utility vehicles since those are deliberately eye-catching as well, so no Inferno or Grapple or Red Alert.

• Like Like x 4
  7. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Because Transformers has always been about cool cars. As Splitlip said, most of G1 are supercars from the 80s. Combined with the fact that the Bay movies are also just car advertisements, supercars and luxury cars are what we get.

EDIT: That being said, I'd love to see a re-imagining of the Bay movies where everyone is just a run of the mill car you see. Camrys, Corollas, Rios, Suburbans Rav4s, Civics, etc.

Would make for an interesting movie when all the guys are in cars that aren't meant to be high performance supercars.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

No disguise is better than G1 Mirage alt mode driving down the street!

Or G1 Cosmos.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    Part of the appeal of the first two movies was the use of average cars. It wasn’t I think until the 3d movie that they started using higher end cars, but at the same time the entertainment & replay value went the other direction.

I remember before the 2007 movie, I’d seen so many autobot & Decepticon decals on cars I passed by while driving. I still see some today, but it was a good free advertisement for the franchise.

symbols symbols symbols. The autobot & Decepticon symbols are so prominent that it was a waste bay didn’t use them to maximum effect.

he almost used that perfectly in the 2007 movie, w/ the autobot symbols on Bumblebee alt mode and the con symbol on barricade.

then all that was lost in the sequels. Didn’t see prominent symbols on skids or mudflap. Lockdown wasn’t a con so he couldn’t have it. Megs didn’t even wear the con symbol proudly & he was supposed to be the leader.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2020
  10. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I absolutely love the tricked-out, premium cars used in the movies. The disguise aspect only really mattered in movie 1 anyway, and it was used successfully for the Decepticons (as military / authoritarian vehicles) and Bumblebee as the rusty Camaro. I think the Autobot cars were all very well chosen across the board.

An older, rusty vehicle really only makes sense for a character who is truly in hiding, like Bumblebee early on in TF1, or Optimus in AOE.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    The problem with supercars is the fact that they actually had to have the stupid cars on set as props, and they couldn't risk damaging them in stunts or anything and "CGI is expensive" so, yeah, alt. mode use was minimal at best.

Not to mention the increasing amount of bullshit being heaped on by the manufactures of said supercars in order to preserve their fagile Egos. Namely, the Ferrari from DOTM? Ferrari are such dicks about their brand that they basically told Michael Bay what he could and could not do with the car. Which included not killing the character (I'm pretty sure Dino's expy in the novel does in fact die), let alone even putting it in any high speed chases. So, essentially, Dino is a completely worthless character who only seems to be around to simply HAVE a Ferarri around.

Another issue with the supercars is that you have to licence the appearance of things these days. Back in the 80s nobody gave a damn. Now? Ferrari didn't give permission to Hasbro to make a toy of the Ferrari, so...yeah, no Dino toy.

My personal favorite story from the TF films as to why they shouldn't have gone for all-out supercars, though, has to be the fact the idiots who made the movies made the exact same mistake twice regarding Drift. He was in fact originally going to be an orange Veyron, except when filming started? Whoops, that multi-million dollar car got sold. So they had to make do with the blue one. Then TLK rolled around and whoops - guess what ALSO got sold without Paramount making damn sure that car was available for a sequel! So, instead, he's a Merc AMG with a black/red color scheme.

Where supercars failed with the Bayverse that doesn't apply to G1 is that the supercars are being used as crutches for any character uniqueness. As pointed out, Dino doesn't even matter as a character but Bay just had to have a stupid-ass Ferrari for some reason. In G1, you could have a multi-million dollar Lamborghini bounce off walls and drive through explosions no problem, because it's a cartoon. You can't even suggest stunts with the supercars in the bayverse because the liability for potentially damaged cars is too risky.

• Like Like x 4
  12. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth AEIOU

I think Bumblebee's early Camaro forms would work just fine. I see Camaros all the time IRL, so I think his 2007, ROTF, and maybe his DOTM Camaros wouldn't bat too much of an eye. But his later ones, like the AOE Camaro, is much more questionable.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Your idea is actually not too far off from mine. I like the idea of a Bumblebee that transforms into a VW Scirocco, or something based on it.
    [​IMG]

Though the problem with this though, is that Volkswagen flat out refused to sell the newest Scirocco in the United States, so Bumblebee would probably run into a few legal issues if he scanned a new Scirocco before coming to the United States.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________
    I see I'm not the only one who noticed that. I think that downright sucks, as I'd really love to have a Studio Series Deluxe Dino/Mirage, but that's likely never going to happen because of how much a prick Ferrari is. :( 

Now that you say that, I wonder if that could be a reason why I think the LEGO Speed Champions Ferraris are the best looking ones.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Not all vehicles. Like the twins, Ratchet, Ironhide, Jolt, Barricade and day trader.

The robot designs on some could've been a lot better however.

But as a director that loved super cars, it only made sense to see them in his TF movies.

Hot Rod was cool to see in that older car. I would've liked to see more of that.

• Like Like x 1
  14. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth AEIOU

It's such a shame how much Jolt was reduced to a background character.

As for Hot Rod, you're referring to his Citroen DS mode. Not going to lie, it would be cool if they released a Studio Series figure of him in that form. I mean we got him as a WWII armored car (which is a remold of WWII Bumblebee, and neither of them transformed into those armored cars), so would it be possible to get him as a Citroen DS? The backdrop could be the road he raced down with Vivian, and there could even be a Lamborghini Centenario in the distance.

15. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Yeah real shame, Jolt was a cool design.

The Lambo was cool but we had one in TF4. As Lockdown.
    So it was not as flashy next time around.
    [​IMG]
    I liked the Citroen. Would've liked a better relationship between Vivian and HotRod.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I think that would be a great choice too.

• Like Like x 2
  17. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I'd like to see some alt mode damage during battles in future movies...

• Like Like x 1
  18. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Michael Bay Transformers characters re-imagined as Group B Rally Cars. Holy shit...

19. Terrellatron

Terrellatron REPAIR REPAIR REPAIR

News Credits:
    Excuse me who?

20. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Now that's an idea I can get behind.

• Like Like x 2