Bay Update: VAs, Military and Action

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Master Fwiffo, Feb 17, 2006.

1. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

I'm certain that is what he meant as well. Writing an action sequence in a script is pretty easy stuff. The writer determines the setting, those involved, how it may start, how it may end, and maybe throw in a few memorable actions, but they know going in that the actual choreography of what happens is in the director's hands, so they leave the fight scenes pretty skeletal.

As for doubts concerning whether Cullen and Welker can still pass muster 20 years later, Cullen frequently does voice work for CN and he definitely sounds Prime. I can't speak for Welker, but it's voice acting, not lumberjacking. Unless he's sustained an injury or illness to his throat, I'm sure he can talk.

2. Jasonnin

Jasonnin Well-Known Member

I am holding up hope that Cullen and Welker get to do the voices. AT the very least, let Prime and Megatron have the orginal voices. And it seems that our bitching is working a bit, because he didn't say NO to the idea. At least not yet anyways!

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I could care less about voices. If we bitch enough, maybe Bay will decide to make them communicate with beeps and boops like mini-cons!

If the voice fits, use it. These days, they can make anybody sound like anybody else with enough equipment.

Nobody in Hollywood is likely to give two shits about who voiced the original cartoon, and that's the way it should be. They are selling it to the public, not a minescule amount of people who would realize it was the original voices.

No matter who they use, I'll be happy as long as the rest is good.

4. TerraEsperZ

TerraEsperZ Active Member

As more time goes by, I'm beginning to think that we might get a completely re-imagined Transformers movie. Bay's comments about how they're redefining how they look and move so that they fit in the real world makes me suspect it. I think we can expect at least the same kind of re-imagining that Battlestar Galactica got in the recent series. Some designs inspired by the old one, but a totally different story and mood. And yes, I too think it might be a good thing. Let the cartoons and comics carry on with the classic style, and redefine the movie Transformers to be their own thing. I've long been looking foward to a whole new take on TF, at least as majar a change as BW was compared to G1 when it came out. Maybe I'll get my wish.

5. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I know I am probably in the minority here but I really don’t care if Cullen, and Welker are the voices or not, as long as the voices fit with Prime and Megatron’s movie character and are voices you imagine could command an army then every thing is fine.

What I’m not so sure about the military being on board is a good thing, no offence but the con’s should at least in the first film should find humans little more than a mild annoyance, there armour and fire power should technically way out class ours and him saying “I make our military look good” makes me think, human hero’s the autobots massively needing our help and all kinds of other crap which I fear will cheapen the transformers. I am hoping against hope that its just going to be military TF for the most part and maybe a few human soldiers helping the TF using TF weapons and the like but I fear other wise.

6. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He fixed his capslock key! :D 

And sounds good, all-round. Hopefully the heightened realism in the robot designs won't limit their screentime at all. I'm happy he's being responsive.

As for voices, just wait_and_see. Cullen/Welker were cool, Chalk/Kaye were badass, so maybe we'll get a -third- pair of kickass leader VAs (never really warmed up to the Kaplan/MEGATRONSHOUTS duo as much, myself).

7. Foster

Foster Haslab Unicron Backer #10 Veteran

News Credits:
    I didn't say Cullen and Welker aren't up to it. Maybe they're the best for the job, maybe not. Even Mel Blanc had to retire eventually. Bear in mind I have no idea how old these gentlemen are.

In my opinion, Bay is doing more than enough for Geewunners if he permits Cullen and Welker to audition with everyone else. I am aware they still work in the field, but if they don't have what Bay's looking for, sorry. If they do, and Bay goes elsewhere anyway, just for the sake of change, that would be a shame, but not the end of the world.

8. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Regarding Welker as a villain... Master Fwiffo is currently going through the process of rewatching G1. Here are his impressions:

"Megatrons Master Plan"

"Hoist Goes Hollywood"

9. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    it dosent matter to me who does the voices really! I just wanna see a trailer and then the movie!

10. Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo Bonecrusher Hates You

News Credits:
    If your wondering what he's talking about...

The Thread (Warning: Language)

11. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It is quite obvious that the movie will need big Hollywood names in it. For one, it's the way people in Hollywood think. For another, it's what the movie is going to need to suceed, because die-hard (or even closet) G1 fans won't be enough by themselves to do it. However, there are going to be plenty of places that these people can be put in the movie, especially since we know the sole focus is NOT going to be on the TFs themselves. The humans in the story will get alot of attention. The 'outsider perspective' that we got for X-Men is most likely what we'll get here. With that being noted, Prime and Megatron are not going to be the end-all, be-all of this movie, so I think it would be better to give them the most qualified people to fill their voice roles, rather than a big Hollywood name. If anybody thinks there are people better qualified to voice those roles than Cullen and Welker, they are either ignorant or insane. Individually, each of these men have been doing voice work for 40 years (longer than most of the people on this board or those working on the movie have been alive). They have also individually performed a huge breadth of roles (not just the cartoon roles that we are most familiar with and do admittedly make up the largest amount of their listed roles). There shouldn't even be a question as to whether or not they should be voicing those roles. Anyone who is involved in this movie and doesn't think they should be playing those roles should be told to look up the definition of 'qualifications', check theirs, and if they still don't want them there, they should be dropped from crew of this production.

It doesn't matter if those working on the movie want to take things in a new direction and change a huge number of things, the facts still stand. Cullen and Welker are the two most qualified people on the planet to voice the roles of Optimus Prime and Megatron, period.

As to the military giving support to the film, that means nothing for the alt. modes of the TFs. That means that, at most, they would bring in vehicles, equipment, and soldiers for little to no cost to appear appropriately in the film. Having the various TFs getting the alt modes of various military vehicles will still rest with the corporations that manufacture them, since they own the illectual properties associated with them.

And what he means by 'most religious of fans' is probably Aaron Archer and some of the Hasbro TF designers who are very familiar with G1. While many of us probably wouldn't think of them in that light, those people would undoubtedly seem that way to Bay due to some reports we got early on about how hard they fought to preserve some of the G1 elements that we are all familiar with. At this point, I seriously doubt they're fishing that much further out into the fandom due to how easily that can create leaks of things that they would not want known at this time. They might be going as far out as Don Figeroa and Simon Furman, but that's about as far as I could see at this point.

12. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Or maybe he's saying to give it a rest because he doesn't need to have G1 fan boys banging down his friggin door every day demanding that he do exactly as they want and make it G1 through and through. This is a NEW movie that is INSPIRED by G1. If you are so protective of G1, go watch the DVDs and let the rest of the fandom move on to new things.

13. Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo Bonecrusher Hates You

News Credits:
    Omnus:

No, they arn't. Or at least, Welker isn't. Regardless of how many years he's been acting, the simple fact remains: Welkers Megatron sounds like a cheesy 80s cartoon villian. Thats just fine for a cheesy 80s cartoon show. But this is NOT a cheesy 80s cartoon show. Its a big budget action movie. Welkers Megatron simply would NOT work. Regardless of wether or not he did it 20 years ago, it doesn't matter one lick because this isn't Cheesy Cartoon Megatron. You could make a similar, if less efective, argument for Cullen.

Start thinking outside the box. What worked in 84 for a little kids show wont work in 06 for a big budget action film.

14. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I am really hoping that we do get the original voice actors for this movie, however what I don't understand is why make this movie take place now? Isn't it possible to do a movie that was based in the 80's? Have the vehicles be original and as real as possible for that time? Why do all movie creators need to take something from the past and recreate it so it's relative to today's time? I mean honestly, we know Soundwave won't be a tape player, so what will he be, an ipod? What about his cassettes? What the hell are they going to be?

15. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Sounds good to me and I have no intrest in hearing any g1 va reprise their roles I hope we get to hear new voices for this new continuity.

There has been like 4 spiderman shows, the ones with different continuity have different VAs same thing with batman new continuity = new VAs. Why should TFs be any different, Nostalgia? Puhleez dont make me laugh.

I just hope Bay is willing to listen to VA suggestions that aren't of a role reprisal nature.

L. Fishburne and Keith David
    for
    Prime and Megatron in 07
    Woot!!!!

16. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Hope they get some professional celebrity voice actors. Most celebrities can't voice act to save their lives.

17. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    This is exactly how I feel. If they don't have the original voice actor's it really doesn't matter to me if the rest of the movie is good. And what's with all the Chalk hate? I think he would do just as good of a job as anyone else they could get.

We all have to remember that changes in a story to bring in the general public can be very good. Look at Spiderman 1 and 2. I could bitch all day about the changes they made to the storyline, but it was made general enough and done in such a way that its now one of the most successful movie series made in the last ten years.

If the movie is made to 100% fan specifications it will be too hard for generic movie fans to understand and it will flop at the box office. Remember, its going up against FF2, so it has to be able to compete at least on the same level.

My predictions for the movie:
    1. Cullen and Welker as voices because the fans seem to want it so bad.
    2. At least one Autobot and one Decepticon voiced by a famous person.
    3. Spike/Autobot human friend will be a famous actor.
    4. Back-story (Great War, etc.) will be told "buddy movie style" by bot (Bumblebee?) to Spike/human friend and not in full CGI section of the movie.
    5. Any US military will be around not as alt modes but as targets for the Decepticons to blow up.
    6. Prime will be the main focus/character of the movie.

18. Darth Megatron

Darth Megatron Don't tell Lucas!

If it were a new cartoon version than sure the old voices would work, but get off of it, it is not a G1 film!!!! It will not be the same, GET OVER IT!!! It will be connected to the characters that Hasbro developed, but that is all. The voices shouldn't even sound like the originals, they were cartoons; these new voices would need to sound like real robots in the real world. The X-men movie did not feature spandex costumes for the same reason. IMO, they shouldn't even sound all that human at all.

And do not make the mistake of comparing James Earl Jones to Welker and Cullen. Vader is a legend, everybody knows the voice, OP and meg are cartoon characters, general public would not even care.

19. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes2 

Read Bay's post

Here's my take

It reads to me like he's getting VERY annoyed with the G1 fanboys.The saying The squeeky wheel gets the most oil does not apply

If he says "Give it a rest then people GIVE IT A REST.You've said it,he knows.Doesn't need to hear it any more

On the military being involved.That's a good thing.With the military being involved.This might be the closest we get to a GIJOE Transformers crossover :D 

20. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Well said with IMHO a rational and realistic vision of the direction the movie needs in order to do well at the box office and with general audiences.

As much as I sincerely love Welkner and Cullen, I don't think their names will generate alot of "hollywood buzz." Plus, possibly a change would be better in terms of the franchise...like what they did with Batman Begins for example.
    Though, I think a solution may be that Welkner and Cullen could provide the bot voices, while some famous name actors could play their respective holodrivers a la the recent IDW TF books.

And out of topic, somehow I can see Michael J. Fox voicing Bumblebee for some strange reason.:)