Bay Talks Transformers 4 - Previous Robot Cast Redesigned, New Robots & Quitting

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Paarthurnax

Paarthurnax Banned

The problem is, you have fans. The new generation of kids buying up all the toys & waiting in line for over 2 hours to ride the ride. And then you have a bunch of old closed minded G1 purists that post on these forums. So while all the kids are busy playing with their toys, the old farts have them collecting dust in a display case while they spew their hate on the boards. They're never going to figure out that G1 ended 30 years ago & Transformers could be dead & gone like Thundercats, Silverhawks, Sectaurs, Crystar & so many others. They should be thankful the franchise is still alive & kicking.

2. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    50:50 I guess. I guess some of the original concepts didn't convert well to the modern audience. A main reason why a G1 like Transformers may not fully work. Overall, Retaliation was ok. It gave a good footing for a better third in my opinion.

Ah, someone who see thinks like me. Excellent. :)  Agreed.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  3. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I've heard the same thing as well - mostly because there were too few Joes in this one, and it felt weird for them to be on the run. Strange complaints though, but for me, this was multiple times better than RoC, if only because we got rid of that ridiculous interpersonal relationship between Duke/Baroness/Cobra Commander, and the even sillier romance between Scarlett and Ripcord.

True, hardcore fans can be a hindrance to modernizations of the show to a new audience, but there's no reason that a modernized version can't be respectful to the original. Take the Marvel movies. They appealed to new fans and old fans alike - especially Spidey, Iron Man and the Avengers, all three of which had directors that were huge fans of the properties.

4. GMANIFESS

GMANIFESS G1 Manifestations

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't know to some degree i agree with you. But in my experience in 38 years, 'most kids' are not even playing with toys. As exhibited by Hasbro's recent profit margin. And people wait 2 hours to ride any new roller coaster or 'latest' cool ride. And being an old fart, there are these extremely popular lines called MASTERPIECE & GENERATIONS that is G1 inspired, & proving G1 is still very alive & well. And the main amount of children that actually are playing with transformers toys are 2nd generation transformers fans whose parents experienced G1 first hand. Us old farts are the ones with the 'disposable income' that is buying the toys for the kids & paying the ridiculous amounts for the movie experience. You have to make us happy too. We have the true buying power. Like the Avengers & what Marvel has done, there is a fine balance that can be achieved to make almost everyone happy.

I'm thankful the franchise is 'alive & kicking' strictly based on the fact that we would not have gotten such a variety of toy & non-toy merchandise if not for the success of the live action movies.

5. Think122

Think122 Well-Known Member

My problem with the movie was not that it was mainstream, but that it was dumbed down. You can make smart action packed movies that are awesome, take Iron Man as an example or even take it a step further in Batman.

I would never expect any Transformers movie to win any Oscars thats not what im looking for. But when you have "ethnic" robots, ass in your face coupled with stupid humor all tied in with a side of terrible plot you get a bad movie.

Thats what pisses me off that zero effort seemed to have been made in order to make Transformers a good movie.

6. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    Honestly I think I would prefer Roland Emmerich to Michael bay. I legit enjoyed Independance Day. however there are several directors I'd rather see take the project:
    Guillermo del Toro: because holy hell have you seen Hellboy2, pan's Labyrinth or previews for Pacific Rim yet? his films are amazing.

Robert Rodriguez: dude's done ridiculous over the top action flicks (Desperado, Machete, From Dusk Till Dawn) and Kids films (Shark Boy and Lava Girl, Spy Kids) and honestly I believe that if a balance is struck betwixt the two we'd have an amazing Transformers Movie on our hands.

Peter Jackson, JJ Abrams, James Cameron: these guys know how to pull off a giant, epic high concept movie and immerse an audience in the world that movie creates.

Kevin Smith: because three hours of Giant robots alternating between philosophising and making dick and weed jokes in a convenience store in new jersey would be friggin hilarious

7. MegaDolrailer

MegaDolrailer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's sweet and all but... these ain't necessarily kids movies. :eek: 

8. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is because;

• There has been some fan outcry against you
    • ROTF was terrible and no matter what you do it will always be refrenced when thinking of your films
    • Hasbro wants a reboot... a new director cannot follow in your footsteps if Hasbro wants a reboot to get new audiences and get away from what you did to their series

When he states 'Characters' he is likely on about the actors btw before you get any ideas.

Only logical reason for the above would be if they got different alt modes to help them hide after DOTM... which would make sense however I feel they'll have to rush the 'hiding aspect' to re-introduce the robots.

In all seriousness... this is a d*ck move by Bay. Essentially he is trying to prevent a reboot by - and remember he was only going to do the fourth film) - making sure that any director who joins would be forced to take up a continuation of 'his' movies, instead of a reboot or otherwise.

Nope he cares about someone not coming in and 'f*cking it up' which is essentially as arrogant as one can get.

He isn't caring about the franchise, he just doesn't want any other director associated with what he views as 'his' transformers movies - which has been made obvious - especially if you have a look at what Hasbro wanted (A reboot) while Bay is just continuing.

9. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel bad discussing on this thread. People are exploding with hate on each page.......

10. Scorpio

News Credits:
    That's a rather stereotypical view of G1 fans... personally I was introduced into the series with G1, the original movie and Beast wars and loved all of them.

The problem is, as stated, they are 'kids' watching the movies. Parents buying up all the toys for their kids. Kids waiting in line for a silly amusement ride which barely lasts a few minutes...

Kids nowadays are into different things and people don't think the prospect of Transforming robots to be as interesting on its own - which is one of the reasons we have injected 'humour' into the film series to try and keep them entertained and 'sex symbols' such as the typical 'boy tries to win over girl with car' or 'geek wins girl'

Granted G1 ended 30 some-odd years ago but I feel all G1 fans want is the franchise they grew up with treated with some respect - instead they get a new generation where they're favourite character is likely killed off instantly (Jazz) or turned into a psychopath (Optimus Prime) or cannot speak (Bumblebee) or just doesn't appear for long enough or does anything (Ratchet, Sideswipe, Dino/Mirage, Que/Wheeljack, etc...)

Meanwhile the humans they are meant to associate with are either morons, ***holes or just completely bland. Inject some random robot fart jokes and stereotypical portrayals of character and you have one very annoyed G1 fan... heck, it should have made every fan walk out of the first movie - let alone ROTF.

In short what G1 fans want is simply a good movie based off the good G1 episodes with characters/plot that remain faithful to the origins.

11. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

I'd like to say it sounds like he's at least gonna try to make a good film but everything else we know makes it sound like a huge joke.

12. Scorpio

News Credits:
    True... I think this is pretty much word for word stating "I do it because the fans will keep paying for stuff (Kids waiting in line to pay for a ride at an amusement park, my god...) and the company hasn't the balls to force me to go (Despite wanting a reboot with a different direction with a new director) - because any other director would f*ck up this sh*t (Make my films look bad)"

13. BigMetalUnit

BigMetalUnit Banned

Ebay:
    I get a kick out of people that bitch and whine about the movies. you whine about incoherant plots, no continuity ,and bad writing......Have you ever even watched any G1 episodes?!? your talking about a show where autobots can drive to Africa in just a couple of minutes,....fly in one episode and not the next,etc ....and you complain about the writing and continuity. :rolleyes2 

Was there all this hatred when beast wars, energon, armada ,animated ,and all the other badly writen shows that wiped their ass with continuity came out ?:throw 

These movies love em or hate em are probably the reason Transformers are still around. you should all be happy that these movies have made it acceptable for grown men and women to still be playing with little plastic robots:rock 

The funny thing is all the haters and the bitchers and the whiners will be right there in line getting tickets to see it

14. HuffR_WFCTX_91135

HuffR_WFCTX_91135 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    True that.

Released in 2007 it was, and lead the way for two sequels with the subheadings: Revenge of the fallen and Dark of the moon.

There was also The Tranformers: The Movie which was based on G1 but due to your comment I take it you probably don't care about that one.

15. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Yes because god forbid the franchise makes some fucking progress in 30 years of existance.

No because the G1 cartoon was shit, everything that came after it must be shit as well am I right fellas!?

16. BigMetalUnit

BigMetalUnit Banned

Ebay:

:banghead: 

17. BigMetalUnit

BigMetalUnit Banned

Ebay:
    how much "progress" would you like it to make? its been around for 30 yrs! why? because its has made progress.

so do all purist become anal?......or do anal people become purists?.....:inquisiti 

18. Driftx3

Driftx3 lord of all things robot

News Credits:
    Well Mikey cares whether or not someone fucks up Transformers?

Has he seen his own movies?

19. GMANIFESS

GMANIFESS G1 Manifestations

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got lost in the left turn this thread made about "progress"...
    but we have seen progress in 30 years... but all the tv & movies are there to support the main attraction...

[​IMG]

It's just that sometimes progress can be ugly... & whether we like it or not somethings just don't translate well to the big live action screen.

[​IMG]

20. Taureanstar

Taureanstar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Whether it be transformers or not, with Michael Bay you know precisely what you're going to see: a horrible embarrassment that looks great - which is a very profitable genre in in american cinema.

The truth is great filmmakers like Neil Jordan can't be bothered with things like Transformers, and he's right. Probably the transformer's brand best shot at a good film out of today's active filmmakers is someone like Christopher Nolan or Joss Whedon.