bay seems to not have learns lessons from ROTF, but it there are more positives

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by megatron6661, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

No director is going to please everyone; that's a give in. But I know they'll do a better job.

2. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why am I not surprised the Twins and Wheelie are Bay's favorites. I really wish Hasbro took the reigns from him.

3. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

If these movies are so bad, don't watch them. If you are so certain that TF3 is going to be bad, stay home. Please, read what the other guys have written after you responded to my post.

4. knyghtmare2021

knyghtmare2021 The Goddamn Knyghtmare

News Credits:
    QTF I found both the twins and wheelie funny, and not at all racist. And IMO thought prime wasn't splattered all over the screen during the last half of the movie, his presence is what drove it. Everytime Sam was on screen, it was about Optimus.

5. Mr Happy Squid

Mr Happy Squid Well-Known Member

With Regards Prime's screentime, wasn't he dead for a large part of it? That maybe why he wasn't in it? I know i'd rather watch an hour of some kind of robots then a pile a metal on the floor!

And Meg's gammy looking arm? Wasn't he kinda rebuilt with salvaged parts in the ocean? Did i imagine that part?

And you go on about these annoying characters, go back, watch the 4 series of the cartoon and tell me there isn't one annoying character there! I mean Warpath and all his "wow, bang kapowey" ness was cringe worthy.

What most whingers forget, is that this film is based on a 80's cartoon series about toys!! It's never going to win 13 oscars, nor should it. You should sit down, watch the effects, relive your childhood, then pull out all the old toys like your a 7 year old all over!

Think you can do better than Michael Bay? Go ahead and we'll see how much your film rakes in and whether you get to make two sequels

Rant over!

6. MetroBub

MetroBub 49ers Fan

My gf finds Wheelie and Blurr from the G1 series annoying...

Id also have to agree with (the ones who did say it). I found Wheelie and the twins quite funny.. More Wheelie.... But the Twins had moments.

7. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    Dude, I never understood the Fallen. Seriously. He came, he teleported, he died. And the Sun Harvester, HA!!!! they made a HUGE deal of it until Prime came and blew it up in ONE shot. I had to hide my laughter in the cinema. As much as I enjoyed it (and I did like it though equal to or less than TF1) it was very anti-climatic.

8. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I just read that wheelie & the twins are back in TF3. So that right there spells disaster for the TF3 movie.

9. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

I want to challenge your bolded parts here because it seems you're suffering from a slight detatchment from reality. While I can understand your distaste for the movies but your love for the franchise, at the end of the day nobody involved in bringing Transformers to the big screen is remotely interested on exploring the mythology or doing "justice" to it. It's about selling toys. That is it. It is a toy commercial for children. I often see people asking why adult fans aren't catered for and its because, well, toys are for kids.

As for Batman, Nolan's take on it is anything but new.

10. 643cade

643cade Well-Known Member

*facepalm*

Really, the only other "Bi-polar about their franchise" fans I've ever met are San Jose Sharks fans. Jeebus.

11. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    You're just realizing that now?

Again, apparently people are starting to believe that The Twins and Wheelie were the most prominant characters in the entire movie. Guess what? They. Weren't. When ever they were on the screen they were supporting characters for the scene. For who? The humans. They'd have their funny comments, chuckle chuckle, move on.

Also again, they weren't ONLY comedy characters. Wheelie served a major purpose later on to the plot and the Twins got a really cool fight scene. As I said in another thread people can't seem to let go of the fact that these characters aren't the norm. Bumblebee had JUST as much screen time as the Twins since he was with them, but people don't seem to remember that.

12. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    lol if ppl think things are gonna change this time around, you are mistaken.

i dont know why ppl have this high hope of wishfully thinking and that glimmer of hope.

if anything needs to change its this crazy ass fandom.

13. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    I agree with this so, so much. I re-watched ROTF again last week, and I barely noticed the hysteria that surrounds the Twins and Wheelie. (In fact, when Skids was upset because he thought Mudflap had been killed, I was actually kinda moved.) I don't even really understand the fuss surrounding the Twins characters; people purported that they were vicious black stereotypes, but considering they are robots from outer space from a planet whose only racial boundary is which symbol you wear on your bonnet, I'm going to go ahead and turn that argument on its head and say that the people who point fingers and yell RACIAL STEREOTYPE are they themselves the racist ones. If you look at a robot character who is ill-educated, goofy and covered in bling and think "my gosh there's a black stereotype!" then you're the one making the bias, not the movie.

Anyway, I didn't seem to think that ROTF was a cluster-fuck like 99.9% of the TF fandom does. It wasn't as good as TFTM, but in my mind that didn't make it bad. It had a good plot, it had big explosions, it had Jetfire (<3) and it had the staple "lol Optimus Prime is dead" moment that every generation has. T3 looks like it's going to be as good, if not better.

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't get it. After directing 8 films why do we still think that Bay can learn or grow as a director? It's not like he hasn't had enough chances but his films are still all the same stuff so the odds of him doing anything different than he's done before just aren't looking very good. Either you like his style or you don't.

We still want to blame the writers strike but guess what there was no writers strike this year and Hollywood still gave us a load of mediocre to bad summer films. You can't say the writers were on strike and that's why the wonderful Avatar the Last Airbender cartoon got turned into a horrible mess of a live action film.

On a different note it's fun that we are back to the argument that you have to love the live action movies because they made money and it has the name Transformers slapped on to it. Like Power Core and RPM not everything Transformers will be to every fans taste so there is no need to jump on someone just because they don't like it.

15. Kungfu Dinobot

Kungfu Dinobot Well-Known Member

Proof that someone said so, or I'm calling hyperbole.

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's the general feeling I'm getting from all these how dare fans get disappointed or find the films lacking in some way posts.

17. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Yes, the Writer's Strike definetly hurt ROTF. Prime and Megatron, for the screentime they had, which is a LOT compared to others like Ironhide and Sideswipe, were perfectly established characters. The general audience, not us, don't really know these characters like we diehard fans. Prime was established as... well, as he's always been. A heroic, powerful, and kind leader. Megatron is the same, and as usual is a bloodthirsty tyrannical monster.

FYI, I'm pretty sure Prime fans didn't just like him for being a badass. Prime fans have always loved how gentle, kind, and wise he is. The badass thing isn't bad, though.

Yes, there didn't seem a real reason to kill him. The audience probably assumed they'd bring him back anyway, since he WAS Optimus Prime. Peter Cullen is signed on for three films anyway, so he had to be resurrected in the first place.

If you think Megatron's arms have problems now, you should've seen the gimpy little thing on his concept art and on his Leader class toy. He didn't come across as bulky and slow. He was pretty damn agile in the Forest Fight. Whenever he was knocked down he got right back up.

Darth Vader is basically Megatron in Star Wars form, and he bowed down to the Emperor. This is what Megatron does here. He isn't bowing down to The Fallen because he's afraid of him, he's bowing down because he thinks The Fallen can provide him with more power. In an earlier draft of the film, The Fallen promised him the powers of a Prime, but in the final film, he's giving Megatron the Energon harvested from the Harvester. Did you ever see the '86 G1 movie? He bows down to Galvatron in there.

Yes, The Fallen was basically no-prescence in the film, despite being the film's namesake. It would've probably been better to save what little time and CGI used on The Fallen for others like Jolt or Arcee. By that final fight, even more diehard fans of the Bayfilms were tired and exhausted from the explosions and robots, so it wouldn't matter if the final fight was rushed. I think only a minute more would've made it better, but I'll survive.

The only one who really needs more screentime is The Fallen. Prime and Megatron and Bee are the focus of these movies. Let others have more time.

I think if they condensed it a bit, it would've turned out better. Remove the ball sack joke and the million topless girl posters, and the two techheads of Leo's. That'd work.

I don't see what all the hate is for the Twins. They definetly weren't racist, and my only real issue is their loads of screentime and their "pussy" and constant foul language. They were pretty damn funny, and showed they could still kick ass against even Devastator. They filled their purpose: funny comic relief characters.

The parents are pretty funny comic relief. And it was nice for the two to smell the roses during the final battle.

The relationship development is pointless now only because of Megan Fox's firing from TF3. The first film was about Sam getting the girl, this film is about admitting he loves her. The third film, had Megan Fox not been fired, probably would've been proposing/marriage. It depicted Sam's growth with his girl - something many can relate to.

Leo did take up a lot of time, only for really balls and sissy jokes. He could've mentioned where Simmons was, so he wouldn't have to be there for his little plot contribution. He could've forced Sam to take into his pocket where Leo found out Simmons' address was, saying something like, "Join the good guys, and one day go shut him up!"

The final battle had three things going on: Devastator finding the Harvester and Simmons taking him down, Sam and Mikeala getting to Prime, and NEST fighting off Decepticons. While the last two are basically the same, I don't see how they could get that toooo much shorter than it's actual length. Many non-Autobot soldier shots could've been removed, but it'd be about two to three minutes. Enough time for some more Autobot focus in the battle.

You kidding me? Megan Fox isn't the fat, she actually NEEDS meat on her bones. But seriously, no matter who it is, every blockbuster needs the sex appeal/ hot girl love interest. Examples include Princess Leia (Star Wars), Eva Mendez (Ghost Rider), Keira Knightley (Pirates of the Carribean). That way some people will come just to see the girls looking pretty.

As said, The Twins are just comic relief. Wheelie probably would've been more enjoyable if he cut down the constant cussing, and of course the leg-humping.

Prime and Megatron will always be in the spotlight, so don't worry. Compared to others, they and Bee will always have loads of screentime. Soundwave is confirmed to be joining the final Chicago battle, so I think it's safe to say he'll have a bigger role this time. Shockwave could be anyone's guess with this film, though even though he's the main villain, there won't be such anger there was with ROTF with the title villain not doing anything if he does the same as The Fallen.

Just about maaaaybe the darkest movie Bay's ever done was maaaaybe Pearl Harbor and the Bad Boys movies. ROTF promised to be dark in tone, but it really wasn't. I'm not holding my breath with TF3. It'll maaaybe darker than last time, with the reports of "bad things in America."

To stem some of your concerns, The Twins have been mentioned to be background characters this time. No idea on Wheelie, but he surely won't do much since he's so small. What do you mean no new pretty girl? Rosie Huntington-Whitely's playing new love interest Carly.

EDIT: Okay, after reading over it again, and reading your latter posts, never mind. Opticron Primal and the others are right. Every fan has their own way of making a movie. If you think you could do better, try. And while Twin Twist is right, it's also about giving people an escape from reality. I had a VERY bitchy teacher once, and wrote a paper for her assignment - it was supposed to be a "Why you should do this". I wrote about why you should become a Transformers fan. Apparently, I didn't write things the way she grades em, so she just writes all over my paper, nit-picking this and that, even phrases like "jump the shark" or "nigh impossible". But when I mention that Transformers is an escape from reality, the old witch had nothing to spit out.

I now don't see too many reasons to agree with you after reading your latter posts, which basically continously call the Twins Jar-Jar Binks, who isn't even bad. I apologize for not reading through the thread first.

18. Kungfu Dinobot

Kungfu Dinobot Well-Known Member

Fair enough, everyone (at least, everyone functioning properly) has a mysterious sixth sense.

19. figsdad

figsdad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But i though he was going to cut the comedy out the film and he puts in wheelie and the twins in this film.?

20. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Thread title may need to be fixed to reflect more accurate truths: