Bay quits transformers..?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Crombiecron, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tehCal

tehCal wherever you are i am not

George Lucas can't direct his way out of a paper bag. The only well-directed Star Wars films were the two that he DIDN'T direct.

2. Conceptron

Conceptron Banned

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    Two Words.

1) Negotiating.
    2) Tactic.

4. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Please..let this be true!

5. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    Nooooooo!!!!! Goodbye awesome explosions :cry 

6. tehCal

All these people who are shouting "YES" fail to realise that we're not going to see anyone better than Bay directing TF3. It's not like Spielberg is gonna go "well, Bay has stepped aside, so I might as well take over". Nor is somebody like James Cameron gonna waste his time on a threequel.

More than likely, if Bay isn't directing, the budget will go way down and we'll get some piece of crap flick, phoned-in by a flashy-but-inferior director like Brett Ratner, Paul WS Anderson or Andrzej Bartkowiak.

7. Crombiecron

Crombiecron Planet Muncher

george Lucas? please no. he deviated from star wars an he gave us howard the duck, if he made transformers there would be star wars characters runnin around everywhere in the background, prime would become a jedi, and what with prime being modelled off neeson, not a very good jedi....

8. RobotoChan

RobotoChan Nothing to see here

News Credits:
    This may be good news, if it is true.

The first film never really clicked with me... It was too human focused and the constant MTV style jump cuts in scenes made my head spin most of the time.

Maybe they could rope in Abrams for a 'reboot' since these things tend to happen really quickly these days. He could set a new precedent for shortest time between original film and reboot film by remaking the first film - but this time with lens flare!

Or get Aronofsky or Gondry to have a stab at a transformers film, one which contained a good amount of autobots contemplating the meaning of their existence whilst struggling to hold back a decepticon uprising?

Hell anything would be better than the stuff Bay has given us. Transformers are nothing more than comic relief in the new films - I never had a real sense that I was watching a species at war in the first film... I imagine the same will be true of the sequel. I would like to see more thought given to these characters and the situation they find themselves in.

9. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

No, Spike Lee would be a good choice. All the transformers would be voiced by black actors...

But seriously, I can't see anybody but Bay doing the TF3 movie. His style, vision is just what Transformers needs at this moment.

10. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    I dont know you guys but i want Joel Schumacher for Tf3. I know he did a ...unique version of Batman, i think we should give him a chance to show his version of the tf universe.
    Well, of course i am kidding. XD I dont want that guy directing any tf movie there could be in the future.
    If Bay really quits then i just hope we get a kick ass director.

11. jostru

jostru Well-Known Member

Ah, man! This sucks big time... who knows what the new director will do... it's just not going to be the same... but I hope we get some good characters in T3, like Ultra Magnus, Shockwave, Hot Rod, ...

12. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    I hope Steven Spielberg jumps in to save this franchise...=)

13. Crombiecron

I think bay gets way too much flak for the first film, i watched it yesterday and with the directors commentary, alot of things he says he did because he could because he is the director and in fairness he is right, its his film.
    The main thing though was his budget, he made it for 151 million and says how pirates an spiderman were costing north of 300!! and he couldn understand how, for what is in the first film i think he did an amzing job with what he had. its not his fault there aint enough robots or personality in them people seem to forget that

14. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    They could get Brad Bird on it if they wanted a true family orientated movie, Iron Giant was great.

15. Crombiecron

pardon the double post but... spielberg cant jump in to save it, he is already on board, if he didnt think bay was doing fine he wouldn be involved

16. Zombiedude

Zombiedude Junkion Warrior

No Bay?

I smell another X-3 Last Stand.

17. tehCal

Brad Bird is purely an animated film director.

I said this in the other thread about this, but seriously, this is a TERRIBLE thing to happen to the franchise (if it is indeed true).

All these people who are shouting "YES" fail to realise that we're not going to see anyone better than Bay directing TF3. It's not like Spielberg is gonna go "well, Bay has stepped aside, so I might as well take over". Nor is somebody like James Cameron gonna waste his time on a threequel. Both those directors have enough on their plates already until way into 2012 or so.

Also, they 110% will NOT reboot a franchise they've already spent so much money on. Hate it if you will, but Bayverse designs are now imprinted on the public consciousness. There is no way Hasbro/Paramount would scrap them over a change of director. They only rebooted Batman after four prior films, the last two of which had terrible reviews and dwindling returns. Whereas the TF films are making big money.

More than likely, if Bay isn't directing, the budget will go way down and we'll get some piece of crap flick, phoned-in by a flashy-but-inferior director like Paul WS Anderson or Andrzej Bartkowiak. Remember when Brett Ratner took over the third X-Men film from Bryan Singer? Or when Joel Schumacher took over the third Batman film from Tim Burton?

You can have your pipe dreams (as if Gondry or Aronofsky would ever even look at directing a Transformers film, let alone a threequel) but realistically this is a terrible thing to happen: Bay might not be a great director most of the time, but he was perfect for THIS project.

Oh, and the Wachowski Brothers are terrible directors. The first Matrix film was a fluke; the other two sucked, and so did Speed Racer.

18. coxy

coxy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    my main problem with bay is that his transformers films are human based first and the transformers are second to that. i understand budgets and the reasoning behind it but it never really felt like a transformers movie at times.

give him credit though, some of the action sequences are fantastic, the first time i saw optimus prime v bonecrusher on the big screen i could of kissed bays feet. i also felt he got megatron right, despite the weird design, he done the character and voice well despite limited screen time.

19. _Galvatron_

_Galvatron_ Emperor of Destruction

I respectfully disagree. TF1 and ROTF have and will prove to be cash cows that Dreamworks/Paramount can milk. This isn't Bloodsport 4 we're talking about here.

Bay has talent, but he is a bit one-dimensional for my liking. I have a very deep respect for his obsessive work ethic, but he is not the "only" director who could do Transformers. Not by a long shot.

Peter Jackson, Ridley Scott, or JJ Abrams would be ideal for me. Too bad Chris Nolan hates CGI, he would make a Transformers film to put all the other babies to sleep. That man could direct a great film using just a roll of toilet paper and a disposable camera.

I would love someone else to direct. Perhaps we could not have to deal with troglodyte toilet humor and corny jokes for once[Devastator balls, anyone?].

20. Riksy Bizzness

Riksy Bizzness Well-Known Member

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If Bay really is actually droppping out - this is the best news ive heard since seeing Revenge of the Fallen!

speilberg would be great i think

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.